Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which pets should I get to 25 with the stone?

So I have been wanting to get into battle pets for a while, but never wanted to grind through to level 25, with the addition of this free level 25 for each level 100 tier 3 garrison, it makes it possible for me to actually start getting into it. Just curious which pets I should boost to level 25, havn't got any really ultra rare ones like the valkyr or anything, but just any solid pet would be nice, I already boosted my Lil rag and my Chrominius and have 1 left over.

If you have the Corgi from the anniversary event, I'd recommend you boost that one since it is a fantastic starter, with high base stats and an ability that hits like a truck (Superbark) but doesn't kill the target, leaving it at 1 HP (thus making great for assembling a team of pets).

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    If you have the Corgi from the anniversary event, I'd recommend you boost that one since it is a fantastic starter, with high base stats and an ability that hits like a truck (Superbark) but doesn't kill the target, leaving it at 1 HP (thus making great for assembling a team of pets).
    Ooo good idea, thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you want to do, really. So many pets, so many different strengths.
    Look! Words!

Here's some teams I use that beat various trainers. I doubt these are the best possible teams, but they get the job done.

Darkmoon Faire: Both trainers

1-Scourged Whelpling H/H: (Tail Sweep, Death n Decay, Plagued Blood)
    2-Anubisath Idol H/H: (Demolish, Stoneskin, Deflection)
    3-Menagerie Custodian H/S: (Overtune, Shock and Awe, Ion Cannon)

Draenor Trainers:

Gargra in Frostfire - Mechanical Pets like Menagerie Custodian, Darkmoon Tonk, and Tranquil Mechanical Yeti own Beast pets.
    Brightblade in Gorgrond - Anubisath Idol, Kun-lai Runt, and whatever else you want. The Runt can kill the 2nd and 3rd pet by itself.
    Ashlei in Shadowmoon - Use anything really. A H/H Scourged Whelpling can pretty much solo this among many other pets.
    Veshar in Spires - Nexus Whelpling, Eye of Legion, Servant of Demidos - things like this that have +attack to Flying will do the job.
    Taralune in Talador - Chrominius, Nexus Whelpling, Nether Faerie Dragon, Sprite Darter Hatchling - same as the Spires strategy.
    Tarr in Nagrand - Undead pets destroy his Humanoid Murlocs. Things like Unborn Val'kyr, Weebomination, Dragonbone Hatchling, Lil K'T etc.

When you really start getting the hang of these battles and when to use which attack, you can start carrying a pet (as in leveling a level 1 pet). You sub the level 1 pet in for a turn (has to survive) and then sub it back out and then proceed to 2v3 the teams. When you win, that level 1 pet will gain tons of xp. Just winning the Shadowmoon fight while carrying a level 1, will ding it up to 10 as an example.

If you're feeling lazy and just want a great all around static team to fight everything with - the Darkmoon Faire team I listed handles just about everything.

Deleted
    I would say that Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling or Anubisath Idol are good for a start :P Other good options are Darkmoon Tonk, Clockwork Gnome, Pandaren Water Spirit or Lil'Ragnaros. There are soo many options, it really depends on what your plans are.

If you have the Grommloc pet from Blizzcon '14 and an alt with the menagire quest, you could use the second lvl 25 stone on Grom because he has great survivability and and a 3 round CD that hits like a truck.

Clockwork gnome is like the all-star in my lineup. Another mechanical that is pretty awesome is the iron starlette. I would recommend having a fast fox as well.

I used mine on Ragnaros. It has been doing very well. I am very new and started grinding for the past five days and got one to 25 then started acquiring a few rares on the encounters. Iron Starlette is also a good one if used wisely - though I seen it substantial damage most of the time, However doing twice the amount which makes it worth.

Panderan Water Spirit (key component to the Howl Bomb strat with Chrominus, finding and capturing an Unborn Valkyr would only improve the howl bomb, but you NEED the PWS), Anubisath Idol, Darkmoon Tonk or Zep (Tonk > Zep imo), Zandalari Anklerender or Zandalari Kneebiter, (the other Zandalari raptors aren't as good due to lacking the Black Claw and Hunting Party) and of course the Clockwork Gnome too. Those are some of the top pets off the top of my head that you can farm/buy from the AH without relying on pet captures.

As mentioned earlier, getting an Unborn Valkyr is worth your time, though not super necessary for the all important Howl Bomb strategy of dealing with single target, legendary, big health monsters. The Molten Corgi is also incredibly helpful at capturing low level pets since he has an ability that can not reduce an enemy below 1 health.

anub idol Is really good,
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy181 View Post
    Panderan Water Spirit (key component to the Howl Bomb strat with Chrominus, finding and capturing an Unborn Valkyr would only improve the howl bomb, but you NEED the PWS), Anubisath Idol, Darkmoon Tonk or Zep (Tonk > Zep imo), Zandalari Anklerender or Zandalari Kneebiter, (the other Zandalari raptors aren't as good due to lacking the Black Claw and Hunting Party) and of course the Clockwork Gnome too. Those are some of the top pets off the top of my head that you can farm/buy from the AH without relying on pet captures.

As mentioned earlier, getting an Unborn Valkyr is worth your time, though not super necessary for the all important Howl Bomb strategy of dealing with single target, legendary, big health monsters. The Molten Corgi is also incredibly helpful at capturing low level pets since he has an ability that can not reduce an enemy below 1 health.
    ^this is what I was going to write. Word for word. You MUSt have the Pandaren Water Spirit because that and Chrominius can 2-pet a ton of fights. Instead of the molten corgi you can get the carrot from the old MoP farm by just planting & harvesting stuff, plant an alt there and do your daily farming again until you get it since it has the ability to not take a pet below 1hp also.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it funny that I got so many tells when 6.1 hit asking me which pets to use the stone on. At first I was flummoxed--wtf?! Just use it on a level 1 pet! But then I realized, only people asking were not pet battlers and they didn't want to "waste" the stone on a poor choice. So what they *really* were asking, is which pet is the best at battles so I don't have to waste time leveling so many? Then I began answering with gentle basic tutorials on several solid pets and how they need to be used in combination with each other, etc. It's all good.
    "He tasks me! He tasks me, and I shall have him!"--Khan Noonien Singh

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally got my way to 25 with a team of cats (this was before the stone that insta-levelled one to 25 - I levelled the old fashioned way which was quite time consuming). They have an ability that will heal them if it kills the opponent. Not so good for pet boss battles, but great for killing other teams (especially critters). Once you have a couple level 25's, power levelling more 25's is super super easy (about 15 minutes), just killing things outside the garrison in Draenor.

Once you have a HUGE number of 25's, having a pet that can effectively trap lower level pets without killing them is nice too. The Molten Corgi has a move that will leave them with 1 health, as does the Terrible Turnip. Obviously you want to capture things that are higher level, but sometimes there are things that there aren't any high level versions of.

Sprite Darter Hatchling, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling.

Use these 2 pets to powerlevel the rest of your pets. Since you only have 1 stone left to use, I would suggest you upgrade one of these and buy/borrow the other (or buy/borrow both). Level up pets to accomplish An Awfully Big Adventure, and you'll have most of the pets you'll ever need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bear in mind with the Unborn Val'kyr that you will be capturing her at pretty damned high level anyway.

iron starlette, beast on the enemy? 2865 damage says otherwise.

If you dont have an iron starlette maxxed id max one, works great for both dreanor starter zone trainers

15+ Year Old Account
    I would avoid any of the following types, especially if you intend to do the entire PvE chain.

- Elementals (can give you matchup struggles in Pandaria)
    - Humanoids (can give you mathcup struggles in Northrend)
    - Critters (can give you matchup issues in a fair number of fights, most notably Pandaria)

That being said, I suggest looking at the following things before deciding on a pet to boost.

- Versatility. Each of your pets should be able to cover no less than two possible type advantages in their setup possibilities. This will allow you to gain advantages in the majority of your encounters.
    - Survivability. The vast majority of the time, unless you go for the highest speed pets, you'll have a speed disadvantage versus many max level tamers. That being said, you'll want moves that can give you a net gain of two extra turns of survival. Great pets for this are things such as Darkmoon Tonk or Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (Decoy) or Magical Crawdad (Wish).

With all of that being said, my initial suggestion would be Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (exploits dragon vs. magic, elemental vs. mechanical, and mechanical vs. beast), Magical Crawdad (exploits aquatic vs. elemental and beast vs. critter), and Feline Familiar (can exploit magic vs. fliers and humanoid vs. dragons).

Edited notes : If you are looking to try your luck at PvP, however, then the suggestions are completely different. What you'll be looking for there is as follows.

- Synergy. Do your pets "mesh" well together? As an example, you probably wouldn't want to pair Gilnean Raven with Magical Crawdad, as Darkness counteracts the strength of Wish. Nor would you want to pair, say, Anubisath Idol with Finedish Imp, as Sandstorm would conterbalance the strength of Immolate. Basically, choose a central theme for your team, and build from there. Do you want a team with survival and mitigation. Do you want a team with high burst? Do you want a team that uses AoE to wittle your entire opponent's force down?
    - Matchup Advantages. Know what your opponents are likely to use so that you can have a greater chance of countering their weak points. As an example, two of the most overused pets currently in PvP are Unborn Val'kyr and Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling. Valk is very easily countered with any high speed rabbit (both exploiting the undead weakness and having drastic avoidance to keep Haunt off you for several turns). M.P.D. is doubly countered by Lil' Ragnaros, since Lava Wave completely clears Decoy and the rest of his moveset hits mechanicals hard. Vice versa, knowing what your opponent is likely to use means you can also make sure that they have type disadvantages with their attacks. Undeads make M.P.D. fairly weak since after Decoy/Thunderstorm they're left spamming Dragon Breath, which will do less damage. Valks, having only undead attacks, won't hit aquatics very hard at all.

So, with all of that said, there is no "right" team to play in PvP. You can try popular comps that other players use, but in the end it goes to your own playstyle and comfort level. My primary team of choice is a speed/avoidance team consisting of Chi-Chi, Bonkers, and Bronze Whelpling. However, this team has it's matchup struggles, and I can go to other teams depending on what I'm facing. I also have an AoE team (Blighthawk, Kovok, and Jademist Dancer) and a "Valk" team (Val'kyr, Lil' Ragnaros, Netherspace Abyssal), as well as a few others that I may use depending on what the competition's like that particular day.
    Last edited by Fenixdown; 2015-03-03 at 11:00 PM.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Free level 25 pet? What, how? Please helperino

Nvm, found it.
    Last edited by Ktperry; 2015-03-03 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.