Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Funny story, our initial Oregorger strat was precisely what you linked. We switched to YOLO the next night and killed it in 3 attempts. Doesn't matter though, the main issue was our healers wanting to 4-heal it.

How about you stop trying to prove your superiority by poring over other people's logs, using fallacious arguments, hypothetical mechanics, unrelated topics (Thogar) and whichever other tactics are in your "Winning at the Internet" cache? Why try to dismantle others like your attempts with Ellerain or me?
    Yea, it was the tactic you (attempted) to use; you just never executed it correctly, which is why it sucked for you guys. Go over the replays of your attempts and you'll see that you're never forcing oregorger to go down the correct paths, because you fail to kill off the correct crates (and for some reason keep sending your tanks to kill crates that aren't supposed to die untill everything else is dead and ore is well into his rolls xd).
    Literally, go to any of the attempts over 4 minutes, and you'll see that your raid NEVER kills off the #1 crate, and just instantly zergs 2/3 down, with complete disregard to what the tactic is telling you to do. He's never forced out into the loop, and it becomes a struggle for survival because he's rolling rampant through the raid. If thats what you had to deal with, then sure, I can see a YOLO strat being better, because being prepared for chaos makes you better suited to handle chaos - if you're expecting control and met by chaos, you'll end up with failures.
    But in the end, that is not why the tactic failed. The tactic failed because you didn't follow it (and because your healers wanted to 4 heal a fight that's probably best 5 healed).

We killed it in 8 attempts, and just by looking at the logs and trying to recall it, I can tell you exactly what caused each wipe:
    1 - instant wipe because tanks fucked up the positioning of acid spray, 40 seconds in.
    2 - instant wipe after doing first roll phase with a few casualties, trying to get people to dps the right targets first. Got through because of YOLO-luck. Then instant wipe because ranged got too close to the boss and spawned a shard and got knocked back into the black shit.
    3 - People were too slow on killing first 2 crates and everyone got flattened.
    4 - People did roll-phase correct after seeing what they fucked up on. Acid torrent raid dmg killed the raid after.
    5 - people were too slow on the first 2 crates again and got rolled.
    6 - did first roll phase correctly after having now seen it 3-4 times. Wiped on second roll phase because people did not know how the fire-waves worked.
    7 - another case of ranged too close to boss for explosive shard.
    8 - zero issues in roll phase, just generally deaths due to the raid damage.
    9 - boss dead.

We have never done PTR, and we were applying a yolo-strategy in heroic/normal kills because we had no clue wtf was going on either way. We had to go through the roll phase a total of about five times before everyone was 100% confident in what was going on, and how to survive it, and the main killer wasn't even the roll phase on that boss - it was the normal-phase damage (either through fuckups or just sheer unexpected raid-bursting).
    It became *extremely* simple to do, following a set pattern. Do you genuinely believe that if your raid had not spent a good 30 wipes due to roll-phase the previous raid, you'd have learnt the "yolo"-strategy as quickly? Because I just don't. Same way killing a boss in 10 man on alts always felt easier than 25 man; you learnt the boss already, sure, some things might change, but the basics remain the same.

As for "superiority", what's wrong with arguing one's case? If I feel you're providing bad information, am I not allowed to post my opinion, and the evidence I have to support my claim? If that evidence is that you guys couldn't perform the strategy (and that's probably why you seem to dislike it), then that seems fair to point out to newcomers who has to learn the boss. Remember, you didn't just go in there blind and "killed it in 3 attempts" with your new strat, your raid had an entire evening of 40 wipes to see the boss roll around over and over and over and to learn how it worked, even if they were attempting to follow a pattern.

As for "fallacious arguments, hypotehtical mechanics, and unrelated topics", I'm sorry that you don't see raiding as I do, but I'll give you a brief glimpse as to my thought process -

The fastest and easiest way to kill a boss is the best in my mind.
    Strategies that involves the least amount of RNG will end up being easier to perform, learn, and adapt to.
    Any strategy that involves relying on your weakest members to not fuck up a personal responsibility mechanic, is going to take a while.
    Any strategy that removes personal responsibility from the raid and puts it on the group as a whole is going to be a lot easier because of your best players carrying.

Thogar isn't an unrelated topic. He's Oregorger on steroids. You can control everything Oregorger does, plan it out down to the exact pattern the boss will roll. You can control everything that happens on thogar, and plan it out down to the exact pattern that the trains are taking. On Oregorger, you choose the pattern that'll cause the least issues for the raid (damage, dps, possibilities for fuckups). On thogar, you choose the pattern that'll cause the least issues for the raid. There's no difference to the fights except that on Thogar, the mechanics are ten times more deadly, so applying a "yolo tactic" is borderline asinine, even to you.

And that circles back to what you call a "hypothetical mechanic" - once again, I don't think you understand my intention with what I'm saying. I'll elaborate -
    If a fight allows for control and minimising raid errors, that's going to be the better strategy than to let everyone run loose and follow vague directions. It's how 95% of the bosses, and 100% of the harder bosses, are in this game. Just because you CAN get away with going full derp and hoping no one fucks up, does not make it a good tactic. Especially for people arriving at the boss at this point, 3 weeks in (because their raids' strength WON'T be on the performance of their individual players).

As for why I do this? Because I don't think you're right, and I like to argue my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Libretto View Post
    Just use whatever tactic fits your players / guild best. Comparisons to Thogar are silly since Thogar is a completely scripted fight, there's only one "correct" way to do it, aside from baiting fire rings to specific lanes. You can do Oregorger a number of different ways and position people lots of different places in both P1 and P2. We "yolo'ed" Oregorger in 13 pulls and killing Thogar took our same team approximately 40, which is significantly below average for a first kill of either boss, so what we do worked for us but may not work well for other guilds.
    You can do thogar in multiple ways aswell. Zerg or split, take extra fire stacks or squeeze, as you say yourself place fire bombs on specific lanes. He's no more "scripted" than oregorger is.
    Also, 13 and 40 are below average? I thought those were both around the average pulls I see most guilds on. Maybe slightly on the low side for thogar (40-50), but deffo around average for oregorger (10-20).
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2015-03-01 at 07:21 AM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I give up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InkarnateKT View Post
    we used it in our kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVcGf2nzoU

super easy we killed in 13 pulls, could have been 12
    Thank you! I can see perfectly the strategic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post

http://i.imgur.com/7zebDmv.png

Not my own work, but if you do it right then he will always roll the same way, and end in the same place.
    We were trying this out today. Buy it seemed so random wich way he rolled the first time. So we didnt really get any good tries since he kept rolling over some people. Is there a trigger to make him roll away from the raid?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zloppy View Post
    We were trying this out today. Buy it seemed so random wich way he rolled the first time. So we didnt really get any good tries since he kept rolling over some people. Is there a trigger to make him roll away from the raid?
    Says right there, destroy the first crate before roll #2. Otherwise, there's a chance he'll head toward melee and kill them.

Might want to use a monk to ToD it, just to be sure. Instant 300k+ "execute" goes a long way, considering it's almost 40% of its hp.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2015-03-04 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. My guild defeated him two days ago. We used this tactic http://i.imgur.com/IoUUuEI.png for the kill. We had a lot of trys for phase one and a few good trys for p2. Here is a video from the kill:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0kxmXyZLfc

I feel like this is way overthinking things in this thread.

We did it this week by assigning 5 people to each quadrant and the strategy consisted of "don't get hit by roll, kill boxes" and it died easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I feel like this is way overthinking things in this thread.

We did it this week by assigning 5 people to each quadrant and the strategy consisted of "don't get hit by roll, kill boxes" and it died easily.
    Usually, that explanation should suffice, but there will always be people that need a bit guidance to structure the fight mentally into manageable compartments. That's what makes strategies so great sometimes.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.