Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Ah well, I tried the game, just couldn't get into it at all - I had to force myself to log in which is not a good sign. Can't really put my finger on why, but I guess this game is just not for me.

Didn't get far, maybe if the trial was like WoW's that stops at a certain level but lets you take your time rather than limiting you to just 14 days I'd maybe keep it on the harddrive and push through, but then again, maybe not. If the game doesn't grab me in the first 3 or 4 hours of play then I won't normally continue.
    I don't know of any MMO which really catches me in the first 3-4 hours. I mean, that's really just enough time to get through the first few levels which never reflect what the game is like later on. In FFXIV this seems to be doubly true as everything pre-30 is basically a snore fest. I seriously felt like in some of the early story quests, I could have just stood there and the NPCs would have cleared it just fine without me. There are also not a lot of abilitiues at the low levels, so it can get to be kinda boring from that aspect as well. It gets seriously better later though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I don't know of any MMO which really catches me in the first 3-4 hours. I mean, that's really just enough time to get through the first few levels which never reflect what the game is like later on. In FFXIV this seems to be doubly true as everything pre-30 is basically a snore fest. I seriously felt like in some of the early story quests, I could have just stood there and the NPCs would have cleared it just fine without me. There are also not a lot of abilitiues at the low levels, so it can get to be kinda boring from that aspect as well. It gets seriously better later though.
    This I agree. Having leveled all classes to 50 I must say that every single class is extremly boring until around level 30. For example,why the hell do PLD only get Circle of Scorn at 50???? Before that the only way to make AoE aggro is by spamming Flash like a retard.I really hope they revamp low level leveling.
    Last edited by Thyranne; 2015-03-09 at 07:01 PM.

Both WoW and SW:TOR are the only two MMOs I've played that grabbed my attention from the moment I first logged in - both were/are hugely enjoyable from level 1. SW:TOR becomes a bit of a chore later whilst levelling, but I loved playing low level WoW from early Vanilla right up until mid-Cata - the first couple of characters that I levelled in Cata were great but its just become rather stale and dull now, too much play on rails style.

To have to sit through hours of dull gameplay just on the off-chance that the game may get better later seems like a waste of time to me.

It took me like 3 yrs to finally decide to strap up and hit endgame in wow. It definitely was not very interesting right from the start. Once I hit max lv and started raiding though, I got addicted, just like ff14.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Both WoW and SW:TOR are the only two MMOs I've played that grabbed my attention from the moment I first logged in - both were/are hugely enjoyable from level 1. SW:TOR becomes a bit of a chore later whilst levelling, but I loved playing low level WoW from early Vanilla right up until mid-Cata - the first couple of characters that I levelled in Cata were great but its just become rather stale and dull now, too much play on rails style.

To have to sit through hours of dull gameplay just on the off-chance that the game may get better later seems like a waste of time to me.
    Your experience is far from normal. I know tons and tons of people and see it all over forums all the time that complain about the early levels in those games as well. Why di you think WoW gives you a level 90 with WoD and let's you buy 90s all you want? Because pre-90 is a suckfest. SWToR, I will say I had some fun early leveling, but it got old fast and had to grind through it to get to the good stuff. It's just the way of MMOs sadly.

I don't claim my experience is normal. All I claim is that WoW gripped me from the moment I first logged in, way back in Feb 2005. I hated Warcraft III (although thoroughly enjoyed 2), so it had nothing to do with the lore - I had zero knowledge of who Sylvanus, Thrall, Varian et al were. It was the gameplay, the reward structure, the smooth, instant and responsive controls.

I admit, WoW levelling now is not as fun for me - it's too on-rails and restrictive. However, I'd imagine a brand new player would look at it a different way.

FFXIV just did not hold my attention - it doesn't make it a bad game, it just means it's not a game for me.