Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would you recommend the PS Vita?

Hey so I'm thinking of grabbing a PS Vita and I'm wondering if anyone would recommend it? I'm looking to mainly get it for the JRPG's on it and to try out the remote play with my PS4. If you have one do you have any games you'd recommend me picking?

Not really. Outside a few games it doesn't have anything going for it imo. The 3DS has been dominating the hand held market for a reason.

But if you do get one grab legend of the dragoon. Excellent game. One of the best ever made.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Not really. Outside a few games it doesn't have anything going for it imo. The 3DS has been dominating the hand held market for a reason.

But if you do get one grab legend of the dragoon. Excellent game. One of the best ever made.
    Yeah I love my New 3DS XL, I've been playing a lot of monster hunter and pokemon as of late but I got an itch for some JRPG's and I figured a PS Vita might be a good route to go for some new titles.

I really love my PS Vita, so I guess I am sort of biased, but it is great for times like when you are on the train etc (which is a daily occurence for me).

I'd say get Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, I loved that game. Of course, you should get Persona 4 Golden, fantastic game, then you got stuff like Uncharted, Legend of the Dragoon, Danganronpa, FFX, Gravity Rush. If you didn't get them on the PSP, I'd suggest Persona 3 Portable and Dissidia Duodecim, the old FF titles is handy aswell.

Well, if you haven't played Persona for some reason yet, pick up Persona 4 Golden, it's like, $20 new. Even if you've played Persona 4 before, it has a bit extra, so if you wanna replay it there ya go.

I mean, there's also Final Fantasy X/X-2 remakes on it, Disgaea 3/4. I mean, personally I don't have that many games on my Vita.

I've never played the Persona series before, would Persona 4 Golden be a good starting point or can I download the older titles through PSN?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Yeah I love my New 3DS XL, I've been playing a lot of monster hunter and pokemon as of late but I got an itch for some JRPG's and I figured a PS Vita might be a good route to go for some new titles.
    3ds has a lot of good jrpgs on it as well

I've never played the Persona series before, would Persona 4 Golden be a good starting point or can I download the older titles through PSN?
    I started with 4 and went back to 3, it's perfectly fine, they're all basically standalone titles with some intermatching story.

I mean, you can go back and play Persona 1 and 2, but they play completely differently than 3 and 4.

Persona 3 is available as a PSP title on the PSN(It cuts out moving around though, everythings through menus basically and no extra stuff that the PS2 version of FES had, but you can get that on a PS3 if you really want it), same for 2 I think but there's different versions of 2, and 1 is a... PS One title I think?

Persona 4 is a good starting point. Would also recommend Persona 3 Portable (which is on PSN). P4 is a bit more lighthearted and goofy, P3 is a bit grittier, but has less variance in gameplay (to an extent).

They're more visual novels with RPG elements than a traditional JRPG, though, so if you hate games with a lot of story, it might not be your cup of tea.

There's lots of other games in the JRPG department, and a lot more coming this spring. Tales of Hearts, the Atielier games, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Ys, as well as the massive backlog of PSP games that're available on PSN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally love it, but again somewhat of a bias.
    Personal 4 is a good starter for JRPGs. You could look at the lists of games if you want to get an idea of whats there. NISA localization is shit by the way. Don't be surprised if the translation from them is 99% different.
    Do note I am using the JP PSN so I do have access to some different games on the PSN. US also has some different games so whatever floats your boat.

3ds is the way to-go imo. I'm actually not a lover of handhelds period since I don't travel enough atm. If I did, definitely 3DS due to the library and the new system that just released would be a huge motivator. Vita, when was the last time a new version came out?

Persona 4 Golden
    Demon Gaze
    Danganronpa 1 & 2
    Freedom Wars
    YS: Memories of Celceta
    Muramasa Rebirth
    Tales of Hearts R
    Gravity Rush

If you didn't own a PSP:

Persona 3 Portable
    Persona 2 Innocent Sin
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    Corpse Party
    Corpse Party Book of Shadows

Coming this year:

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy
    Danganronpa: Another Episode

Could list more, just listed the absolute best the system has to offer IMO. So would I recommend it? If you like JRPGs and Japanese games in general yes... very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogyn View Post
    3ds is the way to-go imo. I'm actually not a lover of handhelds period since I don't travel enough atm. If I did, definitely 3DS due to the library and the new system that just released would be a huge motivator. Vita, when was the last time a new version came out?
    They already have the New 3DS they said, so it isn't a comparison battle, it's a flat out "What would I get for the Vita if I got one?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vogyn View Post
    In Japan, about a year and 3 months~.
    In the US a year.

That said if you want to talk spec, PS Vita PCH-1000/PCH-2000 (1001/2001 in US) > New 3DS in every technical aspect still. The games are up for whatever people are interested.

Alright thanks everyone, I'm just going to order one and pick up Persona 4 Golden along with Danganronpa 1 & 2. Also has anyone played the Hyperdimension series? Is it any good?

10+ Year Old Account
    I played it, I like it.
    I'm a massive fan of it so take it with a giant pinch of salt.
    Do note the English Re;birth1-3 are using NISA's shitty localization... cause the PS3 version was localized by them.
    Apparently Idea Factory International's localization on the newer (Chou Megami Shinkou Noire).
    Also Japanese is fully VAed.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-02-27 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I played it, I like it.
    I'm a massive fan of it so take it with a giant pinch of salt.
    Seems to be a miss or a hit that game.

I have one friend who's obsessed with it, but my other friends say it's just a genetic RPG with some fanservice, nothing great.

Also can the Vita stream a game to your TV through the PS4? I know remote play allows you to play ps4 games on your vita but what about the other way around?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, 3DS blows it away

Also can the Vita stream a game to your TV through the PS4? I know remote play allows you to play ps4 games on your vita but what about the other way around?
    Only thing I know of is the PS Vita TV thing, that's you use it to play Vita games on the TV, rather than having a full blown Vita.

Not sure about the way you mean though.