Thread: Dueling

Dueling

I think that the thing that i like most in WoW is Dueling and World pvp, then arenas and bgs.

I'm wishing back to play, but i have some doubts as which class i should pick. Specially for duels, which is the best classes atm ?

From what i've seen, Frost DK's, Ferals and Hunters are pretty strong, but i heard about Warlocks, Using all the stuff for Drain life (Affliction/Demonology) and Ember Tap (Destruction) they can survive really hard.

Any experienced players on duels/arenas can answer, and discuss here ?

Thank you, peace.

I too enjoy dueling, the class I find I have the most success with is my feral. So much burst positional, bleeds / slows to kite melee, and lots of healing.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gankatron View Post
    You're probably beating warriors, dks, priests and some clueless fools or UP classes like shamans and monks. Mage vs. geared and skilled pretty much anything, can't win.
    Ok so mages beat:
    Warriors
    Dks
    Priest
    Shaman
    Monks at least from all classes .

So from 11 at least 5, why should this be bad? This isn't a fps game .

I have always enjoyed dueling with my priest, and my warrior most. Warlock is fun too with DoT's and stuff.. Can't really say much for the other classes maybe other than a rogue, I simply just don't play the other classes for pvp.

Deleted
    Who do you think is the toughest dueling spec? Not the one who beats everything but the one who can live for a very long time or the one who just can't die? Is it Blod DK, Discipline Priest, Demo Warlock ...?

Monks have always been a great dueling class. I'm playing Frost DK right now, and they are doing pretty well too!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Who do you think is the toughest dueling spec? Not the one who beats everything but the one who can live for a very long time or the one who just can't die? Is it Blod DK, Discipline Priest, Demo Warlock ...?
    Destruction Warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost DK's are not a good dueling class. I can't get over how many people actually think DK's in general are good. The class is complete trash.

Retribution Paladins are very underrated on these forums when it comes to 1v1's. Only good Ret's make it work though so you'll rarely see someone playing Ret destroying everyone.

Deleted
    Hunters can't lose to melee. It takes a good rogue or feral to beat a hunter. Ofcourse when facing other ranged, hunters are known to lose to balance druids and shadow priests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arancor View Post
    Restoration Warlock
    fixed that for you, good sir

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arancor View Post
    Destruction Warlock
    Is this a joke? Destruction has to cast a lot, which is very hard vs melees, to slowly fill up his embers and heal self. Don't you think that Demonology and Affliction, both with glyphed and talented Drain Life, are in a much better spot?

Is this a joke? Destruction has to cast a lot, which is very hard vs melees, to slowly fill up his embers and heal self. Don't you think that Demonology and Affliction, both with glyphed and talented Drain Life, are in a much better spot?
    The thing is that the drain life spell can be stopped not only for interrupts, but for any CC. And a destruction warlock with high mastery stat can heal very much and freely.

But anyway i have my doubts about which one is better for 1vs1 battles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeback View Post
    The thing is that the drain life spell can be stopped not only for interrupts, but for any CC. And a destruction warlock with high mastery stat can heal very much and freely.

But anyway i have my doubts about which one is better for 1vs1 battles.
    None. Locks suck at 1v1, especially against any melee.

Deleted
    With Charred Remains talent, Destruction can generate embers really really fast and also Destro starts with one ember initially. Their heal (ember tap) is instant, costs only 0.5 embers and heals for a lot. Every once in a while you can stun/fear the enemy and get off some Chaos Bolts that hit in the 60-80k area. Destro can pretty much wear down everyone that does not have decent self heals. Against other healing DPS classes (like Feral for example) the duel can go endless.

Drain Life really sucks in duels vs. melee. It is decent against casters and hunters because they don't have as many tools as melee to interrupt it. Demo is still strong in duels if played right. You just can't rely on Demonbolt burst, but have to go for Chaos Wave (which is instant cast and still hits for like 50k with cooldowns) and maybe Cataclysm (which doesn't require Fury and hits for like 70k with cooldowns) to do damage.

Outside of that you can survive a long time against melee with Demonform giving 250% armor, pet stun on 30 sec CD, Blood Horror on 60 sec CD and Mortal Coil on 45 sec CD, two ports and Demonic Leap for mobility. Speccing Cataclysm is very nice for duels because its fire school, so you can cast it to bait an interrupt on fire school and then cast fear or just spam Drain Life which are shadow school. Once their trinket is down you can finally pop CDs, stun them with pet and go Cataclysm->2x Chaos Wave->Felstorm->Touch of Chaos spam which is often enough to kill someone.

Also remember you can use Unending Resolve to get 8 seconds where you can't be locked out (only stunned, but you can save your trinket for that or spec Unbound Will). This ability makes sure that you get one round of burst through and Demo can kill a lot of classes in just one round of burst.

Most Demon Warlocks are Demonbolt spec which is not optimal for duels as Demonbolt needs lots of buildup time. If you are specced Cataclysm and Archimondes' Darkness you can basically start your burst instantly when the duel begins. Just stun the enemy at the beginning of the fight. If they trinket, use Blood Horror, if they trinket again (DKs can do it), use Mortal Coil into fear and then cast Cataclysm into 2x Chaos Wave with all CDs up. This puts them on defensive right at the start which is very important in duels.
    Last edited by mmoc576a872d3e; 2015-03-04 at 12:56 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Affli locks are pretty dangerous too, and also an skilled UH DK can be really really good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hard to beat Blood DKs in terms of raw survivability, they have a lot of CDs at their disposal for almost any situation.

I tried a few duels the other day on my BrM, and he did pretty good too although I can see a mobile class like Ferals being able to take them down.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Feral , Dk, Ret, hunter probably best for dueling

Now this is going to sound strange, but I actually find Enhancement Shamans quite decent in duels.

The main problem is maybe not having the damage to kill the tougher classes, but their self-healing is quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmachine View Post
    I too enjoy dueling, the class I find I have the most success with is my feral. So much burst positional, bleeds / slows to kite melee, and lots of healing.
    I miss the oldschool insta clone ferals.... that was my fav playstyle ever.
    ASUS P6x58D Premium/Corsair Vengeance 16GB Ram/i7 920@2.7 (Not overclocked)/Corsair H100i/EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 SC/Intel 530 series 240GB SSD/Rosewill 750w/Corsair Case/Razer Naga/Logitech G910/Logitech Extreme 3DPro/Samsung 28" Ultra HD monitor