10+ Year Old Account

Sickness when lifting weights?

Hi, In an effort to stop being skinny i've been following http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ for a couple of months, i'm doing great on it and have doubled the amount i could initially lift while gaining a stone in weight.

I'm fine with the squat,bench press and overhead press. However the problem comes when doing either barbell row or deadlifts, 9/10 times they make me feel incredibly sick and have caused me to throw up a couple of times (felt fine beforehand with previous exercises), I was just wondering does anyone else have a similar experience with doing exercises that compress that stomach and know any way to stop/ fix/ relieve the symptoms? :/

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the help guys... *continues vomiting on everything in creation*

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    What are you wanting here?

Deadlifts are notorious for causing sickness. One potential way of reducing sickness would be to reduce reps. Another way is to check your breathing. Make sure you're exhaling on the concentric phase and inhaling on the eccentric. If you're holding your breath, you will likely get dizzy, sick, or even pass out.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you drink/eat enough before gym.
    - Water
    - Food, carbs especially.
    - Stay away from artificial stuff
    - Warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Hi, In an effort to stop being skinny i've been following http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ for a couple of months, i'm doing great on it and have doubled the amount i could initially lift while gaining a stone in weight.

I'm fine with the squat,bench press and overhead press. However the problem comes when doing either barbell row or deadlifts, 9/10 times they make me feel incredibly sick and have caused me to throw up a couple of times (felt fine beforehand with previous exercises), I was just wondering does anyone else have a similar experience with doing exercises that compress that stomach and know any way to stop/ fix/ relieve the symptoms? :/

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the help guys... *continues vomiting on everything in creation*
    Stop eating right before you train. Can't throw up if there's nothing in your stomach.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the same problem. What I did was to eat less before working out. I didn't solve it 100%, but it helped a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Stop eating right before you train. Can't throw up if there's nothing in your stomach.
    Large chance you'll start vomiting bile if you have to throw up with an empty stomach, which is really disgusting

Deleted
    As a fellow skinny i found that leaving a gap of about an hour and half between eating and training would help me tremendously.

Also drinking too much water too quickly during training would play hell with my stomach

You are probably over exerting yourself, try to pace yourself better. This happens to me a lot, I get nauseous, and my vision blackens which is quite scary.

Several factors can cause you to get sick when doing deadlifts/squats.

Both exercises put tremendous exertion on the body.

Hydration: Make sure you are staying hydrated while lifting, small sips, all the time.

Breathing: Make sure you are breathing correctly. Good video on proper breathing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G_ot0-98NU
    Proper breathing will also ensure you don't black out under heavy loads. It also protects your spine, ensures proper form and keeps your intestines from dropping into your nut sack. The reason people use belts is to create the proper abdominal pressure for heavy lifts. Personally i've never used belts but i never go past 500 on deadlifts or 400 on squats.

Fuel: Body needs fuel to lift, although you want to eat early enough your stomach isn't full of food but you might want to add a protein shake with juice 1-1.5 hours before lifting.

Intensity: Some theories on puking are related to lactic acid thresholds in the muscle. So you may want to lower the weight/reps or lengthen the time between sets.

Heart Rate/Blood Pressure: These are related to proper breathing but be sure you are not going past your body's threshold. Seeing spots, light-headed, blacking out...these are not good signs.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just the bitch you're beating out of your body. Keep going, you're doing great.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Valstorm Warsong View Post
    You are probably over exerting yourself, try to pace yourself better. This happens to me a lot, I get nauseous, and my vision blackens which is quite scary.
    That's hypoglycemia, 100% sure. You should try to get something with rapid sugars in it if that happens again (like drinking a coke (not diet, not zero, obviously)).

Maybe add a bit of sugar or something like Teissere syrup in the water you're drinking while working out.

Also, obviously make sure you've eaten during the day. Getting fit is as much around good eating habits as it is about lifting. If you don't eat you'll get weak during the effort and will build no muscle because of the lack of protein (mostly) and carbs to help digest them.
    Signatures in 2018 LUL

Deleted
    Ive had this before

Try wearing less clothes, as weird as that sounds

Its probably your body overheating because of the amount of muscle you use in these compound execises

Drink plenty of water before hitting the gym to cool your body down

Maybe you can do a few reps, stop and drink some water, try some cool fresh air then hit the reps agian

Its your body overheating

10+ Year Old Account
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 as well. A few things I've found:

1 - I switched the workout around. I do squats last, due to the exertion (you can do the same with the barbell row or deadlifts)
    2 - I use the full 3 minute wait between sets on squats, and I take time to drink between each set
    3 - I do 10 - 15 minutes of high intensity cardio prior to working out to get everything going.

So far that has really helped. I no longer feel sick or get migraines doing 5x5
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-03-06 at 05:04 PM.

Eat a banana or any fruit (bananas are quick and easy) before you work out. It's a healthy way to get sugar you need and is unlikely to make you throw up (unless you really don't like bananas), meats and dairy will likely make you not feel so good. Also drink a bottle of water before hand.