Why am I averaging 40 FPS in Dying Light?

I have an R9 290 and an i5-2400 and I'm getting ~45 FPS max when I'm out in the world. Usually around 32-40. Even turning every setting down doesn't really make a difference. I have view distance on 0. Is the i5 2400 bottlenecking the card? Or is it just the badly optimized game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dying Light was a poorly optimized game. People have a lot of issues with the games performance on PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    First off, your CPU isn't really the best. Secondly, as Duke said, that's an atrociously optimized game.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you read the Steam reviews that game is extremely AMD racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because these days PC games that are also on consoles generally = shitty, unoptimized port of a game running on dumbed down tech. There are exceptions of course (like Shadow of Mordor, which truly took advantage of the increased power/memory of PCs) but more often than not... if its on consoles and PCs, the PC version will be less than what it should be.

That's the reason I detest Skyrim. PC users got a crappy port of the XB360 version that was only redeemed by its mods. Even Bethesda's own 'apology for these shitty textures, the consoles don't have much RAM' HD texture pack pales in comparison to those made by individual modders.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2015-02-28 at 11:44 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at the game specs for PC it requires a minimum of Intel Core i5-2500 @3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz with these equivalent graphic cards NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / AMD Radeon HD 6870 (1GB VRAM). Yet Xbox One and PS4 have a fraction of that processing power and the game runs fine?

I begin to wonder how much of Sony or Microsoft told the developers to make the PC port as terrible as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    That's the reason I detest Skyrim. PC users got a crappy port of the XB360 version that was only redeemed by its mods. Even Bethesda's own 'apology for these shitty textures, the consoles don't have much RAM' HD texture pack pales in comparison to those made by individual modders.
    I recently decided to replay the game since 2011. OMG the bugs that game still has is amazing. Nearly every quest at some point would bug out and required a console trick to fix it. But hey, they made 3-4 DLC's since so that can't be all that bad right?

Quote Originally Posted by Skytip View Post
    If you read the Steam reviews that game is extremely AMD racist.
    Nah, the PC version is just totally shit. Might hit some hardware worse than others, but it is mostly just a really badly executed console port.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, he's right. The game has issues with AMD. I run it near perfectly on my nvidia Intel rig.

Guess I'll wait and see if they release any optimization patches in the future for us poor AMD folk. Thanks guys.

My god that is the highest minimum CPU requirement ive ever seen on a game lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    When Dying Light released, I was playing it with i5-4670k 3.4Ghz and GeForce GTX 980.

In open areas, with plenty of zombies, flames, etc.. I was around 40 FPS and indoors around 100 FPS.

- - - Updated - - -

And as for my settings:

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    When Dying Light released, I was playing it with i5-4670k 3.4Ghz and GeForce GTX 980.

In open areas, with plenty of zombies, flames, etc.. I was around 40 FPS and indoors around 100 FPS.

- - - Updated - - -

And as for my settings:

How about now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maester View Post
    How about now?
    Ah, sorry for confusion ~ I already changed my specs in signature as most of the components are waiting next to me, but my computer case and CPU cooler are still on the way. At first I thought that they'd arrive fast, but apparently it takes around 4 weeks to deliver them, so they are arriving around 17th March.

View distance cripples this game, its broken, turn it off

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by megabeat View Post
    View distance cripples this game, its broken, turn it off
    I wouldn't really say view distance is broken, it's working as intended; the resources for the game are just so poorly optimized that rendering all that is extremely taxing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dying Light is on Linux and people speak without moving their lips. So yea the PC port is terrible.