Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tell them only that flying is dead and that Archaeology died with it

I was one of those few crazy people that actually enjoyed Archaeology. I have 600 on multiple toons. But with the removal of flying in Draenor I can't get myself to pursue it further than to get it to 700. It's just so tedious and not at all enjoyable.

I used to queue for a BG or an instance and fill the time with archaeology but since I have to run around every single fucking rock and cliff it's just annoying. Remember Emperor's Omen in Jade Forest? Yea.. that... BUT WITHOUT FLYING. And every areal is like that. Not to mention once you run out of digsites in one zone...

I'm just gonna torment my way to 700 and then abandon it...

10+ Year Old Account
    I smell........excuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eeeeeeh.... Considering that you get, what, 12? digs per site, its not bad at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

It really doesn't take long to level.

I got it to 700, it doesn't take that long. The problem with Archaeology(which has been the case since MoP) is that they added the stupid "get the same relic 20 times" or "get lucky and get a special version of that same relic so you can put it in your town hall in the room nobody ever goes to" purely timesink achievements instead of actual content. I mean sure, not having flying is shit, but it didn't really ruin Archaeology any more than it did many other things(like "leaving your garrison")
    Last edited by Tradu; 2015-02-28 at 03:20 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I levelled Archaeology during the first days of WoD launch, when the servers were lagging like hell. And I enjoyed the hell of it. I still do archaeology, and the fact that I can't fly doesn't bother me at all.

Levelling it from 600-700 wasn't too bad, but the grind for completion is rather tedious due to the lack of flying.
    It was tedious as hell in MoP and earlier expansions such that I have still 1 Dwarven and 2 Tol'vir rare projects to complete.
    I still have not completed many of the MoP grind achievements.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    I was one of those few crazy people that actually enjoyed Archaeology. I have 600 on multiple toons. But with the removal of flying in Draenor I can't get myself to pursue it further than to get it to 700. It's just so tedious and not at all enjoyable.

I used to queue for a BG or an instance and fill the time with archaeology but since I have to run around every single fucking rock and cliff it's just annoying. Remember Emperor's Omen in Jade Forest? Yea.. that... BUT WITHOUT FLYING. And every areal is like that. Not to mention once you run out of digsites in one zone...

I'm just gonna torment my way to 700 and then abandon it...
    We brought this up in beta and we were dismissed by Blizz.

Not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    We brought this up in beta and we were dismissed by Blizz.

Not surprised.
    Lots of things were brought up in beta. A lot of those things were ignored or deemed not problems by The Almighty, All-Knowing, All-seeing, Benevolent Lords of Blizzard.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

archaeology was fun at first, it sent us out into the world again to explore... exactly what Blizzard had wanted to do and what players had been begging for an excuse to do, but the novelty wore off. it happens. grinding mobs was considered fun at one point in the early days of mmo's, hitting a square with a rectangle repeatedly until you or your opponent fails was considered fun in the early days of computer games...
    the toys, pets and mounts managed to counter the boredom somewhat and keep people interested enough in archy throughout the expansion and into Pandaria. as has already been mentioned the insane idea to flood archy with ridiculous achievements and managing to screw up the trophy room idea players had been wanting for years completely failed to renew any interest in the profession
    but then in WoD, with no flying on top of that, it really does no favours to an already suffering profession. it's not like flying would be the only solution either. remember those items in Pandaria to teleport to a random digsite? that, at least, would be something. having more fun rare items and making the trophy room versions actually interesting (whether functional or decorative) instead of a pointless trophy version of every dull rock would help even more. at least the Alliance get a proper room to show them off in, all Horde get is a little alcove in an ugly building within the ugly garrison

so yes, lack of flying does hurt archy but it's far from the only problem or even the worst. don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to them reimplementing flying (and I guarantee that they will since were they to announce it wouldn't come back then the subscription numbers would plummet. sure there's some who say they'd quit if they do put flying in but if they don't have the willpower to resist flying when it's an option they're not going to have the willpower to quit the game over it either) but archaeology isn't a major argument for it

Yeah, that's why I just botted it. The no flying thing is incredibly stupid and short sighted. Man, I wonder why people just sit in their garrisons all the time rather than going out and exploring Draenor? Some brilliant minds at BlizzHQ.

I went 600 - 700 doing solves mainly with the stuff from the mine, I only had to hit 3 actual digsites.

Archaeology died the second they put it in the game. Flying didn't kill it, all it did was piss on its grave.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Well, add to this that there really isnt much reward to Archaeology. Like one or two rares per faction.
    This, there's not much incentive to do it this xpac anyway, unless you're doing that pristine thing, which just sits in some back room that I never see. Exploration Mission Master could have gotten us arch-ing again, but I'm glad it's not a requirement for Harrison. Those missions seem to reward 50x WoD fragments, so it'd probably still be faster to do Pandaria and just turn in for the missions, complete the missions and get your 50 frags. That way you could knock out pristines with both WoD and MoP at the same time.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2015-03-01 at 01:57 AM.

I forced myself to do a ton of Archaeology because I'm a lore nerd. But I won't deny it's boring as fuck, tedious and mind-numbing. It was such a let down.

So far, without flying, I'm enjoying archaeolgy more than ever; I feel like I'm actually traveling to the dig sites and figuring out where the solves are as opposed to just surveying and flying to where the marker on your addon menu tells you it is.

Deleted
    I did Archaeology on the way to 100 by just stopping at the digsites I ran by and doing those. It felt like a very natural distraction and I got all the rares, a few of those special ones I could display in my garrison and a bunch of ciphers that were ridiculously overpriced in the first week and I made probably somewhere in the range of 20-30 thousand gold on.

Beyond that, I don't care about getting all the display cases. Its not cause of the lack of flying, but simply cause its not enough incentive for me.

considering that for the most parts the sites are smaller then they have ever been the only thing you need flying for is to travel from site to site and quite frankly even that is trivial. I had no problems leveling archaeology and getting all the rares. Considering that you also get fragments from the mine, it seems easier now then it had ever been in the last 2 xpacs

I'm kind of the same as OP, I used to do archeology during ques aswell. Now though... I got to 700 pretty easily but don't really bother with it anymore. Aside from not having flying to get to digsites easy, some genius thought it was funny to make digsites where you have to go up the mountain, down the mountain, up the mountain, down the mountain,... Pristines seem super common though, so if you wanna get all of the arch stuff, it shouldn't take too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relnor View Post
    I did Archaeology on the way to 100 by just stopping at the digsites I ran by and doing those.
    Common sense is a rare thing. You seem to have some. Don't let anyone take it away.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."