Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwick View Post
    only thing i hate about bm is the 2set, when BW doesnt even reset once in the fight due to bad rng and sometimes can proc 2-3 times in row at begining and then nothing in whole fight is a joke, everything else thou is fine and i enjoy playing it.
    Or those random times when it just resets again and again for a solid 2+ minutes of uptime and you feel like a god...

But I kinda agree, not a fan of the rng.

Deleted
    I like it. I couldn't play surv at top performance to save my life, always 4-5k below what my ilevel could do, the focus management was hardcore so fuck that shit. I switched to BM and I do exactly what simcraft says I should do.

I love it. Getting decent numbers as BM is not as easy as with SV where gear produces numbers by itself. Apart from the 2-set rng you can now tell who knows bis stuff and who is just mashing buttons. Because deciding what to do next as BM really isn't alwasy as obvious as following a priority list. It i worth mentioning that scale procs and thrill procs have a huge random impact on SV dps as well, especially during aoe. And even then most people dont even seem to know why.
    Last edited by Heltoray; 2015-03-05 at 08:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    I love it. Getting decent numbers as BM is not as easy as with SV where gear produces numbers by itself. Apart from the 2-set rng you can now tell who knows bis stuff and who is just mashing buttons. Because deciding what to do next as BM really isn't alwasy as obvious as following a priority list
    Bollocks! BM is much easier than surv, you don't have to manage jackshit in the ways of focus as BM stuff is cheap, your dps doesn't take a dive if you can't dps because your pet does constant dps even while you don't and you don't have to pay attention to dots as there aren't any dots.

BM is utter faceroll, the easiest of the specs, and I fucking know, I played surv and MM since WoD was released and ever since I changed to BM is like I changed the game difficulty to Easy.

Deleted
    imo both are some of the easiest in the game and arguing about which of them is the easiest makes you look silly.

the dot argument is just dumb though. hunters dont have to track dots lol. you just hit a button on cd and serpent stings is applied from your main focus dump so there is nothing to it.
    Last edited by mmocbdbff9af68; 2015-03-05 at 08:20 AM.

Well, must be another game I am playing then. Maybe playing it and playing it well makes a difference after all

I find it weird how everyone is only talking about BM and SV nowadays. Marks was actually buffed in this patch and is ridiculously strong on single target. The damage you do during RF is insane - seeing yourself doing 160k+ dps during the pull is kinda fun. Also it's a lot more consistent dps than BM since it doesn't rely on RNG (2-set, frenzy-procs).

Quote Originally Posted by Dranged View Post
    I find it weird how everyone is only talking about BM and SV nowadays. Marks was actually buffed in this patch and is ridiculously strong on single target. The damage you do during RF is insane - seeing yourself doing 160k+ dps during the pull is kinda fun. Also it's a lot more consistent dps than BM since it doesn't rely on RNG (2-set, frenzy-procs).
    It's probably because the conditions for MM/heavy ST to thrive are so limited in BRF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dranged View Post
    Like Kalibos said, it's because there is only 1 or 2 fights where MM is even viable because there is so much AoE in BRF. MM's AoE is so bad that it's simply not worth using on the vast majority of the fights.

I think people overstate the AOE aspect of BRF.

Gruul - single target
    Oregorger - single target
    Blast Furnace - mainly a single target fight, although cleave helps
    H&F - very good MM fight
    Beastlord - MM is perfectly viable as it helps with the spears and the AOE mobs melt
    Flamebender - almost all single target
    Kromog - MM shouldn't be used in most circumstances
    Operator - MM shouldn't be used in most circumstances
    Iron Maidens - not an AOE fight, MM viable
    Blackhand - single target

I'm personally not a fan of the spec, but Kromog and Operator are the only fights in which MM really shouldn't be used in most circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Like Kalibos said, it's because there is only 1 or 2 fights where MM is even viable because there is so much AoE in BRF. MM's AoE is so bad that it's simply not worth using on the vast majority of the fights.
    MM provides some of the best target switching and on-demand burst in the game, both of which are very valuable in BRF. The amount of AoE required is exaggerated, and the only places you really need it (Blast Furnace and Kromog), you also need single target burst DPS; making MM still a viable spec even on those fights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by galaxyquest View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of the spec, but Kromog and Operator are the only fights in which MM really shouldn't be used in most circumstances.
    I disagree, Thogar is one of the best fights for MM as you have cannons, Firemenders and Man-at-Arms that all require single target burst DPS. Let other people cleave the cannon fodder adds, Barrage is more than plenty.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get topics like this. Why make them? You don't like a spec... okay, so don't play it? Doesn't mean we need a blog.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

To paraphrase some of the posts in the 400+ page sprawl, pretty numbers aren't necessarily good numbers. A lot of people have noted it's better to contribute to their raids (in Mythic) by using MM on high priority targets, as there are far superior AoE classes, let alone specs.

After all, as much as everyone enjoys the meter, what matters is getting the kill.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I don't get topics like this. Why make them? You don't like a spec... okay, so don't play it? Doesn't mean we need a blog.
    Likely because of the obnoxious BM Defense Force running in every thread and shrieking "The answer is BM!" We get it, BM 4pc has the potential to be better. That doesn't mean people asking for help on MM and SV should hear about the Glories of The Spec Which Is Oh So Much More Complex, Deep, and Meaningful and If You Don't Like It You're Bad every. friggin. post.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2015-03-06 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    There is a big difference in apparent effectiveness and actual effectiveness.
    MM seems inferior on most fights as most of them have "DPS pad adds". They are generally comletely irrelevant game mechanics though.
    There are, on the other hand, priority targets in nearly every fight. MM reigns supreme on taking them out; and in the process you aid your raid a lot more, even if the dps meters dont show it.

In fact MM might effectively be the best spec on almost every fight in BRF.
    (BM is nearly as good with on demand burst though, while not as powerful as RF MM, BWs cooldown is only 1 min.)
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2015-03-06 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    There is a big difference in apparent effectiveness and actual effectiveness.
    MM seems inferior on most fights as most of them have "DPS pad adds". They are generally comletely irrelevant game mechanics though.
    There are, on the other hand, priority targets in nearly every fight. MM reigns supreme on taking them out; and in the process you aid your raid a lot more, even if the dps meters dont show it.

In fact MM might effectively be the best spec on almost every fight in BRF.
    (BM is nearly as good with on demand burst though, while not as powerful as RF MM, BWs cooldown is only 1 min.)
    I would say Bm's burst is better. That "BWs cooldown is only 1 min." will be reduced by 2pc bonus sometimes, making it even more bursty. While MM has to wait on the 2 min cd of RF. Sure it's RNG, but BM will have a bigger uptime on his burst cd.
    And it brings aoe, 1 multishot and that's it. You can maintain single target rotation, on high focus toss a MS to turn on BC and resume single target.
    BM is the complete package.

10+ Year Old Account
    BM is tedious to you.... I love it. And yeah that mana cost.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxyquest View Post
    I agree. The only fight which I'm doing better than I was with SV is Gruul (and maybe Kromog).

My biggest problem seems to be controlling my pet and conserving focus properly. From What I've read it's important to be changing from passive to assist, using dash when necessary, etc. This seems like a huge hassle. Another problem, for example, is on the Beastmaster fight, I lose so much DPS having my pet run from boss, to spears, to adds. Should he be staying on the boss the entire time? Or on Operator, should I send my pet to the cannons or just range them down with Arcane shot/kill shot.

Everyone says "READ THE GUIDE IDIOT" but the guide doesn't answer how to handle those types of scenarios in each fights.

SV, on the other hand, is relatively simple and still puts out great numbers (just not what can be the BEST numbers).

If anyone would be willing to look at my charts and let me know how I can improve, it would be greatly appreciated.
    For what it's worth, you shouldn't be changing from passive to assist imo, you should just have a hotkey for pet attack and keep your pet on passive all the time. Then you just hit the keybinding whenever you want your pet to swap targets (which isn't always when you do-as you noted, is it really good to have your pet running around like a chicken with its head cut off for every itty bitty target that pops up? Not always, no). Assist isn't quite as bad now without serpent sting ticks to randomly send them back to an old target before it gets to the new one, but it's also not as precise and has problems when you want to be on a different target. When to actually move the pet despite the dps loss is one of those things you have to figure out on a fight-by-fight basis. It'll depend on your group's strategy and strengths and weaknesses. If a minor add is going to go down in an appropriate amount of time without your pet, keep it on the boss. If it's something your group is struggling with, move the pet. Regardless, when you swap targets, you should be maintaining your priority. So even if you do keep your pet on Operator when the cannons are up, you don't want to just Arcane/Kill Shot spam the cannon. You'll just proceed as normal with KC/Cobra/etc.

It's also worth noting that this flavor-of-the-month switching that so many people seem intent on doing is just plain silly for the majority of us. 99.9999% of us are not anywhere near the skill level of the people in the top guilds. You will do far better dps in a spec you love and know how to play well, regardless of what the sims are showing (as you've seen). This is especially the case if you're getting handed various jobs in a fight as hunters as so wont to be these days because of our mobility. BM has a lot more to keep track of than SV and if you're having to kite and run around and do all sorts of weird stuff in addition to paying attention, your dps is probably going to go down, and not being as familiar with BM is just going to make that worse.

Given that you've even posted this question, it's safe to assume you're not in Method or Paragon or the like, so play what you like. You'll get better results that way and be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyfar View Post
    yeah bm is set up wonky right now, sv is much more fun and fluid to play.
    What about SV do you find fun? I find SV so horrible to play I haven't touched it for more then 10 mins total since wrath. To me it is just painfully godawful boring and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebyrd View Post
    It's also worth noting that this flavor-of-the-month switching that so many people seem intent on doing is just plain silly for the majority of us.
    Amen, and FotM always is silly. It inevitably is over-hyped, or requires a gimmick, or gets nerfed (in the case of unintended FotM).

BM has a lot more to keep track of than SV
    Such as? Please don't say "Is your pet attacking? Is it on the right target?" That's Hunter 101.

Given that you've even posted this question, it's safe to assume you're not in Method or Paragon or the like, so play what you like.
    There's no call to be condescending. Fun fact, Method's hunters don't use BM, supposedly because they don't like the "godlike this pull, shit the next" RNG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Amen, and FotM always is silly. It inevitably is over-hyped, or requires a gimmick, or gets nerfed (in the case of unintended FotM).

Such as? Please don't say "Is your pet attacking? Is it on the right target?" That's Hunter 101.

There's no call to be condescending. Fun fact, Method's hunters don't use BM, supposedly because they don't like the "godlike this pull, shit the next" RNG.
    I'm not being condescending. Someone from the top guilds would not be here posting these questions. If you're not in a top guild, squeezing out every teensy bit of theoretical dps the sims say can be done in a particular spec isn't needed. You're going to do better with something you know and enjoy. And you know, the game will be more fun then anyway, because it's something you enjoy. In a hobby that you're presumably doing to have fun.

Also, arguing with me about whether BM has more to keep track of seems rather silly in a thread where people are complaining about just that sort of thing and what a hard time they're having switching.