Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Year beast makes it easy to understand...

...why LoL did about $1 billion in revenue last year where DOTA2 did about $350 million.

The debacle's of year beast include:

--Botters instantaneously picking the ezmode 5 comp.

--North Americans, Europeans, and Asian pay-2-win players queue in South American realms to take advantage of their poor population not being able to buy points.

--South Americans queuing in North American realms speaking no English thus making teamwork impossible in an event where normal strategy doesn't apply.

--The recurring queue drop where your client displays you as finding a match but you really aren't.

--Making item rewards gift-able but not trade-able leading to a flood of scamming.

Did I miss any?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    yes you missed the point where people complain on forums about a game mode you don't have to play nor are forced too play.

No Tusk Club.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostblade View Post
    yes you missed the point where people complain on forums about a game mode you don't have to play nor are forced too play.
    My point was presented in the very first line.

The blunders of Year Beast are a good indication that we wont see DOTA2 being any competition for LoL in the 2015 microtrans revenue war.
    MAGA

because LoL is for filthy casuals and its a money machine, dota is actually a hard game and you dont need to spend anything to play fully the game

also because LoL has way more players than dota, because u know. its older than dota 2 and perfect for casuals
    Last edited by EqualWin; 2015-03-01 at 02:01 AM.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    because LoL is for filthy casuals and its a money machine, dota is actually a hard game and you dont need to spend anything to play fully the game
    While this is the...rather harsh way of putting it, there is some truth.

Dota 2 you do not have to pay money at all for heroes, while LoL you either can grind them out, or buy the heroes. Of course one is gonna end up netting more money as long as it's popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

The blunders of Year Beast are a good indication that we wont see DOTA2 being any competition for LoL in the 2015 microtrans revenue war.
    who cares about the microtrans revenue war? one makes it from unlocking gameplay the other is for non gameplay cosmetics.

No Tusk Club.

Deleted

So a game with way more players and actual gameplay unlockable with $$ makes more money ? That's a shocker.

Also, I didn't pay a single cent and win most games. Just insta-lock zeus, go mid and win.
    Then again this is a game mode purely to win cosmetics, so I don't see why it being biased towards people actually paying for cosmetics is any kind of problem ?

EDIT : Haven't seen any bots thus far, no idea how you actually know they are bots ? Also if everyone queues on SA servers they should end up against each other, I don't really get the point. Sure maybe it happens, I don't know (and really don't care, we've got our long lasting russian problem in europe to deal with) but I'm pretty sure you're nitpicking at this point.
    Last edited by mmoceb381e0edb; 2015-03-01 at 02:17 AM.

Obvious troll thread is obvious. Baiting a LoL vs Dota flame war.

But as long as we're on the subject, I do think that the year beast event sucks complete ass. They recycled a model that they already had lying around and gave it spells that already existed in the game and then just implemented him into a regular style match of dota. Nothing original or interesting about it in any way. It wasn't made to be a financial game changer, but more like a cheap/quick/desperate cash grab.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by M4D View Post
    So a game with way more players and actual gameplay unlockable with $$ makes more money ? That's a shocker.
    But why does it have more players?

You can see some of the opinions on why that is posted here by others, and mine is that blunders that I listed can drive people away.

Shouldn't Valve want to do better with their product?
    MAGA

10+ Year Old Account

You can see some of the opinions on why that is posted here by others, and mine is that blunders that I listed can drive people away.

A cause LoL was the first moba outside the dota 1 mod that struck good and got a good following
    B LoL exsists longer then dota 2 as why there are more players ... thats kinda a duh
    C how can you beter something which can not be made beter? first answer that

and as last D why are you complaining so much about dota and valve "pushing" there players away as those players stil made a 10 mill tournament prize.

No Tusk Club.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

LoL is bigger, simply because it was the first DotA clone to make it big.
    Dota has a longer history, but Dota 2 is the latest of the big 3 ASSFAGGOTS to be released. LoL, HoN and Dota 1/2 would be the biggest ones out there.

Valve is doing plenty good with their product. How else can they afford to have the biggest cashprize in esports, even before the crowdfunding comes into play?

Deleted
    If the numbers are accurate, valve has done much better job at monetizing the game than riot. And doing that without locking stuff like rune pages, runes and heroes behind paywall/thousands of hours of grind, that's impressive.

LoL came out along with HoN, HoN went into "open beta release" when LoL released pretty much.. one a faster paced Dota clone that was gonna be Dota 2 officially until plans on the back went haywire, there is a supposedly story out there on the internet that icefrog is a money-whore so google it, cba typing it out.

HoN was too fast paced, required a slightly better PC that what people had despite not being that heavy, but for 2009 it was heavy enough.

Then LoL came out, a game that countered everything that made Dota completely noob unfriendly, gold loss at death, last hits.. and mana management while being able to run on a 2004 Athlon perfectly fine.

Of course LoL dominated the market, it wasnt a better game, it isnt a better game.

Their management was world class and thats what mattered, game could be run from a toaster, still can in a way despite the more textures, the requirements are laughable, while removing everything what Dota had that you could completely destroy your opponent in lane and in the end pretty much destroy them as a player/win the game.

From many, many players that i used to play with in Dota 1 and HoN over the years, when they tell me why they play LoL now instead of Dota 2:

"I like the lack of try-harding when i want a quick game."

And there is your answer from people that were 1850+ rating in HoN which pretty much equals in today terms Platinum 2-Diamond 5 type of players which they are in LoL actually.

It has more players because its the same thing that WoW was when it came out:

The easy way out into the genre people loved at that period.. MMOs in 2004-2005, MOBAs in 2009+.
    Last edited by potis; 2015-03-01 at 03:43 AM.

Deleted

You do realise that active concurrent players is almost doubling every 12 months ?
    January 2013 - 147k
    January 2014 - 393K
    January 2015 - 523k
    Do you realise that the month of february saw an increase of 12% of average active players (and for a reminder, this is the month of the year beast that you hate so much)

So you're driven away by a totally optional game mode, a seasonal even made for fun an giggles ? Is that what you're actually saying ?

The truth is that DotA is a great game and is growing at a pretty impressive pace. While in raw numbers it's not LoL (which has a few years advantage over DotA) it does hold the biggest e-sport event worldwide, which has a price pool that grows exponentially every year.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post

But as long as we're on the subject, I do think that the year beast event sucks complete ass. They recycled a model that they already had lying around and gave it spells that already existed in the game and then just implemented him into a regular style match of dota. Nothing original or interesting about it in any way. It wasn't made to be a financial game changer, but more like a cheap/quick/desperate cash grab.
    I don't often find myself agreeing with Liilo, but for once I think you're right on point. This year, the Year beast event is somewhat flat and uninspired. Don't get me wrong, it does add a new twist to what is otherwise a regular match, but I don't think its original or imaginative to really stand on its own like some of the other seasonal events have done.

And yes, this thread is quite clearly flamebait.

50% Pay to Win
    30% Picking
    20% Skill

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    And yes, this thread is quite clearly flamebait.
    This is funny because you two are the only ones who have actually talked about the OT I brought up, which was year beast blunders.

Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syli View Post
    50% Pay to Win
    30% Picking
    20% Skill
    50% Did the other side pick more ezmodes no-skill-req heroes than we did?
    20% How many Peruvians are on my team?
    10% Are we really sending double melee hard carry to safe lane?
    10% Russian Federation power grid offline, spam F9.
    5% Tier 1 towers down and still no courier.
    5% Skill.
    MAGA

...why LoL did about $1 billion in revenue last year where DOTA2 did about $350 million.
    Did I miss any?
    just a few things you didn't really miss as much as you overlooked them.

the big one is that the end-goal of valve would be dota 2. they are only competing with riot through one of their "franchises". the goal here, is to get people on steam. china is right now an untapped market for steam (and it's western rivals). with dota being a huge deal in china, it makes a lot of sense for them to make dota a great game.

the main complaint i have with the event (that you "missed") is that the event interfered with the playing of regular dota. servers were crashing, i had lots of lag and one game that became safe to leave due to network issues. how valve chooses to monetize dota (and they are becoming increasingly effective at it - look @ti4 prize pool) isn't really a concern in my opinion. as long as dota continues to be a great game with good balance that is well taken care of, i'd rather valve get a lot of money for it. lots of not-so-great games getting lots of money (not talking about league) that imo they shouldn't.

lastly - a few of you should work on your forum etiquette. league vs dota is not the topic. if someone wants to make a thread on how much more money riot gets out of league than what valve gets out of dota, they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    the big one is that the end-goal of valve would be dota 2. they are only competing with riot through one of their "franchises". the goal here, is to get people on steam.
    And that's so true because the only reason I play DOTA2 and not LoL is because of Steam.

Steam is where my other games are and Steam isn't forcing me to run some background secondary *.exe P2P nonsense that LoL was at the time I went to try it.
    MAGA

I wouldn't mind if they put more effort into their events. I think they could really go a long way by going the wraith king/year beast 2014 route. PvE matches are a great break from 24/7 PvP DotA and also something the other games of the genre don't often do, either.