Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What's wrong with eating dog meat?

I've never tried dog meat but honestly, I wouldn't mind trying it if it was sold legally in Canada. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs yet its totally fine to eat them. Pigs can even be pets but people still eat them in large quantities. Therefore, I don't buy the "dogs are intelligent" or "dogs are pets" excuses. It just seems like a double standard. Honestly, I would be okay with eating any non-human animal as long as they aren't a threatened or endangered species.

Deleted
    I can give you a very good reason, it tastes awful. I tried some when I was in Hong Kong, I also tried cat, unless you are starving stick to other animals.

Culture is the bottom line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its just a social taboo, because people tend to not be comfortable eating what are traditionally family pets and work animals. When your society forms a bond with another species, its now viewed as something more useful than food.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    I can give you a very good reason, it tastes awful. I tried some when I was in Hong Kong, I also tried cat, unless you are starving stick to other animals.
    Well that's a matter of personal preference. I'm sure a good number of people would eat dog meat if it was legally and socially approved. I personally hate McDonalds yet millions of people love it.

Because dogs have contributed to much of the modern development of the world and are the first domesticated animals of humans. They also completely evolved to comprehend our body language and can even communicate with us to a lesser degree. The meat is also very bad in terms of taste and can carry parasites and diseases which can be deadly to people.

In Japan I know it's 100% illegal to consume dog and cat meat (however not horse, which doesn't really bother me) and it's been considered to be banned in South Korea, China is just unappealing place to live or me personally and the only reason it's even important is because it essentially prostituted itself out to America and other western countries in working on company's products. Some ancient Native Americans in South America also practiced the consumption of dog, however it started to become a taboo in the later years of most South American empires.

Didn't we have a thread on this a few months ago? *cough cough*

To answer your question, because carnivores typically aren't very palatable. Also, dogs are a companion animal in our culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    Well that's a matter of personal preference. I'm sure a good number of people would eat dog meat if it was legally and socially approved. I personally hate McDonalds yet millions of people love it.
    I honesty think that there should be legal limits to what animals you can and cannot eat:

We shouldn't consume humans or apes (any other primates are free game though)

IDK but I wouldn't eat meat from "intelligent" animals like monkeys or dolphins, for me it'd feel almost like eating human meat...

Deleted
    Wouldn't mind eating the neighbors dog, which keeps waking me up every morning at 6 when they leave, due to heavy barking for hours.. fml

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with eating it, I would try it myself given an opportunity to do so, I would also Scrambled Penguin eggs, and Giant Panda Steaks.
    Meat is meat. and until you try it, you don't know if you like it or not.

only thing stopping us is people's beliefs that eating Fido is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    We shouldn't consume humans or apes (any other primates are free game though)
    I don't understand why you'd only have a limitation on gorillas. Do you not think other mammals have memories?

15+ Year Old Account
    Equally wrong as eating other farm animals, like you say.

Would probably try it given the chance, tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Meh, i can't imagine eating "smart" animal. And yes, i know that pigs can be pretty damn intelligent, but they don't have a cute eyes like cats and dogs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Its just a social taboo, because people tend to not be comfortable eating what are traditionally family pets and work animals. When your society forms a bond with another species, its now viewed as something more useful than food.

There is a reason why we largely do not eat carnivores and scavengers. And it has nothing to do with pets or work animals. Otherwise a lof of people wouldn't eat horses, sheep, cows etc.

Higher risk of diseases (which in todays world wouldn't be much of a problem), bad taste etc. are the most important reasons afaik.
    Last edited by mmoc0d8e6c2903; 2015-03-02 at 12:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgodzilla View Post
    I've never tried dog meat but honestly, I wouldn't mind trying it if it was sold legally in Canada. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs yet its totally fine to eat them. Pigs can even be pets but people still eat them in large quantities. Therefore, I don't buy the "dogs are intelligent" or "dogs are pets" excuses. It just seems like a double standard. Honestly, I would be okay with eating any non-human animal as long as they aren't a threatened or endangered species.
    It is a double standard. As StreetHydrant said, it's pretty much just about culture.
    I wouldn't want to eat dog or cat, but that's because I've grown up seeing them as friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't understand why you'd only have a limitation on gorillas. Do you not think other mammals have memories?
    Yes other animals have memories, but apes are on a whole different ethical level that we shouldn't try to play with.

Deleted
    Yes other animals have memories, but apes are on a whole different ethical level that we shouldn't try to play with.

Haha, that video is great! Made my day/night. Good one.

Well dogs aren't farmed for their meat so I'd be concerned where the dogs came from, and if they were treated humanely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Meh, i can't imagine eating "smart" animal. And yes, i know that pigs can be pretty damn intelligent, but they don't have a cute eyes like cats and dogs.
    Wait, is your standard "smart" or "cute"?

Kind of subjective either way.

Personally I feel kind of bad eating goat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Linking a video game tells me nothing, mice and crows know how to problem solve...in fact several animals can. I think you're making logical fallacies regarding the intellectual capabilities of other species.