Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    I dunno, I feel like it would be okay to eat, but the hurdles are, arguably, too great to be pragmatic

To a degree, animals taste like their diet, this applies to predators too. The reason dog meat in foreign countries probably tastes so bad is because they're just strays picked off the street whose diet consists of mostly trash, often already rotting, so they pick up that flavor. This isn't even getting into the risks of picking up something zoonotic.

I don't doubt that fed A-grade food (meat food, kibble wouldn't count for the reason stated above), a meat dog could taste good, but then comes the pragmatic reason, why do a middle-man like that feeding a dog high quality food when you can just market the food to humans right off the gate? It's a waste of time and resources.

As well, the FDA would need to create entirely new standards for farm-raised dogs, what vaccines it would be okay to give them, what the bare minimum of the quality would be, what kind of zoonotic risk they'd present in the way of parasites and diseases ect. ect. There would be thousands upon thousands of pages of bureaucracy, and even then for the first few years it would be so poorly hashed out that you'd get puppy-mills from hell popping up all over the place.

They can get away with pretty much all of that stuff in foreign countries, but the FDA keeps a tight grip on the safety of our meat.

Even then, society speaks, what would society do with dog meat edible? It would basically become a black market meat, any restaurant that tried to publicly float the fact they serve dog -legal or not- would most likely get shunned and likely fall through. Ten-fifteen people willing to try it does not make for a sustainable business when so many others are disturbed by it that public opinion turns against you.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2015-03-03 at 02:33 PM.

Deleted
    I would never eat a dog, or a cat or a horse. Why? Because I have a cat, dogs are absurdly cute and horses are majestic.

Other countries can do whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    it's a social cultural taboo. now about draenei meat...
    Nowhere near as succulent as night elf flesh. Organic and grass-fed...

Quote Originally Posted by badaku View Post
    I eat horse meat almost every day, not because it's low-fat and tastes good, but because it's cheap. Come at me bro!
    omg you live in paradise where you can actually buy horse meat and it is cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.