Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Disc priest Need some advice and guidance

Hi Fellow priests

Hope you guys can help improve my healing and provide some insight.
    I provide my logs so to provide some insight on how I play. I compared myself here with a priest I have healed with before just to try and figure out what im doing wrong.

My basic healing rotation is build Evang stacks as fast as I can, including using smite. with my EA I use POH on e.g. for gruul the first stacking group and then place PWS on tank and that group. Penance where needed and keep POM bouncing.

Cascade when group is taking damage, but I feel im missing something as my shields are not that effective e.g. here at gruul vs the other disc.

I do place most of my shields when I have popped 5 stacks of AA....any advice will be appreciated to improve me playing priest.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ng&source=5,11

Don't cast PoM. For Gruul, run Words of Mending unless you're dedicated tank healing.
    Don't use PoH unless you have EAA up, use it on the group that next soaks Inferno Slice.
    I wouldn't recommend using Smite to build Evangalism stacks, even if you get EAA because of it, two more PW:S's is far stronger.
    Use Solace on cooldown for mana return and Evangalism stacks.
    Cascade after each Inferno Slice (when you can, basically.)
    Penance on tanks at your own discretion, again it depends on if you have dedicated tank healers or not.

Most importantly, make sure your raid groups are set up so that you know who to preemptively shield for inferno slices. It's no good just throwing out random shields. Always know when Inferno Slice is coming and always know which group(s) is/are going to be soaking next. Communicate with your tanks if things get sloppy, and let them know that you -need- to know where the next slice is going.

TL;DR I guess is don't worry so much about DA. Your main healing is PW:S, just EAA/PoH when it's available and useful.

Edit: Oh it also doesn't help that running 2 Disc's in the same group is literally a terrible idea unless one of them is dedicated CoW spamming the tanks. Whenever he/she is shielding a target before you and applying Weakened Soul, it's one less shield you can cast. It effectively neuters you. PW:S is Disc's main healing right now, so the inability to use it is unforgiving.
    Last edited by Skaiya; 2015-03-02 at 04:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaiya View Post
    Edit: Oh it also doesn't help that running 2 Disc's in the same group is literally a terrible idea unless one of them is dedicated CoW spamming the tanks. Whenever he/she is shielding a target before you and applying Weakened Soul, it's one less shield you can cast. It effectively neuters you. PW:S is Disc's main healing right now, so the inability to use it is unforgiving.
    There wasn't two disc you are just seeing two encounters compared against each other.

The main difference in both discs healing was due to Riful being more consistent on his shielding as seen:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...y%24false%2417

As you can see the top graph is for Leyli and bottom for Riful, Riful seams to be much better at timing his / her shields so that everyone gets a shield when needed, aside from that Rifuls group has 1 less healer which will naturally lead to more healing per healer in his group.

Edit: thats a good log to see mana returned via solace vs mindbender almost double mana return from mindbender.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2015-03-02 at 04:54 PM.

The best thing any healer can do is learn the fight mechanics, know what kind of damage is coming out and judge what heals to use to compensate, this is probably more true for disc priest than any other healer. In short, be a proactive healer, not a reactive healer

Assuming you're Leyli, you're just not casting PWS enough. The other priest cast almost twice as many shields as you, despite the fact that your fight lasted a minute longer. On a fight like Gruul that's pretty much all you should be casting aside from Solace and Penance on cooldown. According to the armory you're not using the Weakened Soul glyph, which is as mandatory as it gets. It also looks like you have almost no spirit and no regen trinkets, which may make it hard to spam PWS as much as you should be. Most discs seem to be comfortable around 1200 spirit + a regen trinket, but as long as you can make it work I guess it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    Edit: thats a good log to see mana returned via solace vs mindbender almost double mana return from mindbender.
    Actually when you take the mana cost of Holy Fire into account they're basically identical. 48,400 mana (75,600 from MB - 27,200 mana spent on HF) vs 48,000 from Solace. From a mana/minute perspective, the person with solace was more than 25% better. And that was with mediocre Solace usage (15 casts out of 21 possible). As Solace/HF usage gets better, the scale tips more in Solace's favor.
    Last edited by blargh312; 2015-03-02 at 11:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

HI Guys

Thanks a lot, ye will need more spirit so that I can drop mindbender and go solace. Also I find it difficult to pre-shield all ppl in the groups for example on gruul.

Also just verifying that I never have to hard cast pom when I specced Word of mending, you see how new I am to priest hehe was not sure exactly how this mechanic worked, but thanks for the heads up.

Then ye I mostly only use poh when I have an EAA, but I find it sometimes very lack luster and not healing that good...Also want to ask, when you stack ur evangelism is ur shields more powerful the more stacks you have or is it more effective when you pop arc at 5 stacks evangelism and then spam shields?
    Should I keep my 5 stacks and only pop it when I need that burst or increased healing? Or should I just pop it when I reached 5 stacks irrespective...

Another thing, Power Infusion when and how should I use this?

Thanks again for the feedback it will help me immensely improve my gameplay
    Last edited by Hygeia; 2015-03-03 at 07:51 AM.

For a fight like Gruul with pretty consistent damage, I end up just using PI on cooldown to save a bit of mana. Most of the time you use it for high raid damage to lower your GCD and spam more shields, or high tank damage to spam more COW. It's kind of a thing you just gotta know the fight for and figure out when to save it.

On imperator I'd always PI right at the start to atonement heal until the aberration spawns, because there's like no damage. So that's a good use of PI, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    Actually when you take the mana cost of Holy Fire into account they're basically identical. 48,400 mana (75,600 from MB - 27,200 mana spent on HF) vs 48,000 from Solace. From a mana/minute perspective, the person with solace was more than 25% better. And that was with mediocre Solace usage (15 casts out of 21 possible). As Solace/HF usage gets better, the scale tips more in Solace's favor.
    The thing is, if you run Mindbender, you never should touch Solace/HF to begin with, which means it is false equivalency you are positing here.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    The thing is, if you run Mindbender, you never should touch Solace/HF to begin with, which means it is false equivalency you are positing here.
    So what is OP (who doesn't have the 2pc) supposed to do for Evangelism? Smite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He shouldn't be running mindbender without the 2 piece is the point.

Run Solace obviously. Is it really that hard?

The entire point which completely flew over your head is that

1) Mindbender is essentially only run with 2pc
    2) You compared Mindbender to Solace, which means you should have 2pc in both situations
    3) Thus HF's mana cost shouldn't even be in the calculations for Solace vs Mindbender's regen.

If you compare Mindbender vs Solace without 2pc in both situations, you are obviously running into a case of false equivalency.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, the guy he was quoting made the mistake. He was just (correctly) pointing out that Mindbender did not, in fact, have nearly double the returns on Solace in these logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hygeia View Post
    Then ye I mostly only use poh when I have an EAA, but I find it sometimes very lack luster and not healing that good...Also want to ask, when you stack ur evangelism is ur shields more powerful the more stacks you have or is it more effective when you pop arc at 5 stacks evangelism and then spam shields?
    Should I keep my 5 stacks and only pop it when I need that burst or increased healing? Or should I just pop it when I reached 5 stacks irrespective...

Another thing, Power Infusion when and how should I use this?

Thanks again for the feedback it will help me immensely improve my gameplay
    Yes, AA increases your shields as well - it's really easy to get 5 stacks, especially after the first, so you should be aiming for that every time. The 2 set makes this considerably easier (and you may be able to go back to Mindbender if you want). As for needing more spirit to switch to Solace, it's actually the opposite. You're not considering the GCDs that you will be spending on shields instead of Solace/HF which should actually take more spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    To be fair, the guy he was quoting made the mistake. He was just (correctly) pointing out that Mindbender did not, in fact, have nearly double the returns on Solace in these logs.
    Read what he said after that. He included HF's use and mana cost when factoring in Mindbender.

What pieces is the best for the 2 set for disc?

Also how is holy spec vs disc?

Quote Originally Posted by Hygeia View Post
    What pieces is the best for the 2 set for disc?

Also how is holy spec vs disc?
    Chest and pants.

Disc is still by and large mandatory for progression, but Holy has noticeably superior throughput .

Deleted
    icy veins says int,mastery, crit, haste ...
    another forum says Intellect > Crit > Mastery > Multistrike > Versatility > Haste > Spirit

what is actually best now?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    icy veins says int,mastery, crit, haste ...
    another forum says Intellect > Crit > Mastery > Multistrike > Versatility > Haste > Spirit

what is actually best now?
    Mastery>Multi>Crit>Haste>Vers

Deleted
    how come you say something different than my other 2 sources? just wondering. if multi was that strong, then BiS trinkets should be like the one from BH, int with proc stack of multi

- - - Updated - - -

how come you say something different than my other 2 sources? just wondering. if multi was that strong, then BiS trinkets should be like the one from BH, int with proc stack of multi

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Courtesy of Myllior: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1C...VzUk5MX3M/view. You can make your own judgement on the value of haste - I prefer to run lower haste so I can also run lower Spirit and have more flexibility in my trinkets. Bigger shields are more fun to me than more frequent shields that may go to waste.

Kinda looking for the same advice, but cant post my logs yet until i get some posts.... but this is a good start.