Fascinating: Early 20th century scientist created unicorn animals

A scientist in the early 20th century in Maine experimented on areas, by removing the immature horn tissue from young goats and cattle and implanting them on a different part of the skull, he not only created unicorn animals, but he also proved that horns grew separately and eventually fused with the skull and paved the way for modern research.

He also began studying adaptations that these animals underwent, for example he noted that one of the bulls used his horn to break apart and lift up fences and used the singular horn by thrusting it forward like a bayonet.

Tell me what you think and whether A) You think we should do this again for research purposes or B) You think this would be an awesome pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    A scientist in the early 20th century in Maine experimented on areas, by removing the immature horn tissue from young goats and cattle and implanting them on a different part of the skull, he not only created unicorn animals, but he also proved that horns grew separately and eventually fused with the skull and paved the way for modern research.

He also began studying adaptations that these animals underwent, for example he noted that one of the bulls used his horn to break apart and lift up fences and used the singular horn by thrusting it forward like a bayonet.

Tell me what you think and whether A) You think we should do this again for research purposes or B) You think this would be an awesome pet.
    Unicorns for evry one, i wonder why no1 raised unicorns to sell at that time.
    Last edited by Vivapin8; 2015-03-03 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivapin8 View Post
    Unicorns for evry one, i wounder why no1 raised unicorns to sell at that time.
    I wonder why nobody attempted to implant the immature horn tissue on a horse foal.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I wonder why nobody attempted to implant the immature horn tissue on a horse foal.
    Because it wasn't an implant; it was a movement of tissue.

Taking off the tissue wouldn't do anything - that tissue wouldn't grow properly, in all likelihood. What he did was strip all but a thin "rope" and used that to move it, more or less. Extremely simplified explanation, but that's why you couldn't simply transfer horn buds to any creature you'd like, though you COULD make a goat unicorn that would be more in-line with the original idea of unicorns.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Histor.../dp/0060874155

Goes into detail on that, as well as various other creatures that started the unicorn myth

10+ Year Old Account
    What will North Korea do now without their control over the unicorn population?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Because it wasn't an implant; it was a movement of tissue.

Taking off the tissue wouldn't do anything - that tissue wouldn't grow properly, in all likelihood. What he did was strip all but a thin "rope" and used that to move it, more or less. Extremely simplified explanation, but that's why you couldn't simply transfer horn buds to any creature you'd like, though you COULD make a goat unicorn that would be more in-line with the original idea of unicorns.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Histor.../dp/0060874155

Goes into detail on that, as well as various other creatures that started the unicorn myth
    Yes, I know how the unicorn myth may have started, but it doesn't matter. I just want my dystopian Narnia/Pandora/Westeros!

Damn you reality and culture with your taboo subjects! Damn you Britain for passing a law preventing the genetic modification of animals which could hypothetically lead to human-like intelligence or a human FOXp2 gene!