Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

At what point does free speech become hate speech?

Some of you may remember this ad from the New York subway from a while back. It triggered alot of controversy and some people called it racist hate speech. I think that was a bit of an overreaction. Why is it that just because the ad raises a controversial point, that it is automatically hate speech? It wasn't calling all Palestinians savages. It was just referring to Jihadists and Hamas.

There was even an incident where some lady decided to spray paint the ad and got arrested as a result.

I love how surprised she is at the fact that she's getting arrested for vandalism. Seriously, why are people so sensitive that anything they disagree with is automatically labelled as hate speech? Its insane...

10+ Year Old Account
    that seems awfully presumptious to assume x amount of people in here live in new york.
    although that ad seems to be countering hate speech with.....bigotry and ignorance. HORRAY!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it condones doing a crime or speaks of doing a crime.

My position remains that the only speech that should be banned is speech that directly incites violence against specific targets or deliberately conveys false information against a specific target.

I find banning unpopular speech far more unsavory than the unpopular speech itself in most cases.

Deleted
    When you threaten or incite violence against people. But European countries aren't keen on that and will throw you in jail for saying something they don't like.

The answer varies on region. In the US, it's never a crime until violence is encouraged. Anything else is fair game. In Europe, it's if you say something the government doesn't want you to say. Sledfang's answer below me is apt.
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2015-03-03 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    although that ad seems to be countering hate speech with.....bigotry and ignorance. HORRAY!
    what? I'm so confused by this statement

If a liberal doesn't like it then it's hate speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    what? I'm so confused by this statement
    gee calling a group of people savages sure seems to fit the definition of bigotry. it implies that the reason they committ these acts is because they are savages who are by association barbaric and therefore must not have a proper culture which is ignorant and bigoted in it's viewpoint.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-03-03 at 12:36 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

I'll answer your question by giving you three examples from recent American culture.

The following have been specifically labeled in media as hate/free speech.

Free speech is The Bible in a toilet.
    Hate speech is The Koran in a toilet.

Free speech is calling Sarah Palin a cunt.
    Hate speech is calling Sandra Fluke a slut.

Free speech is calling a Republican a "teabagger".
    Hate speech is calling a Democrat an "libtard".
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

gee calling a group of people savages sure seems to fit the definition of bigotry. it implies that the reason they committ these acts is because they are savages who are by association barbaric and therefore must not have a proper culture which is ignorant and bigoted in it's viewpoint.
    Indeed, we must realize that there's a rich variety of reasons for beheading someone a dull blade, some of which aren't savage at all

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I'll answer your question by giving you three examples from recent American culture.

Hate speech is calling a Democrat an "libard".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    If a liberal doesn't like it then it's hate speech.
    What this lacked in insight it made up for in predictability.

10+ Year Old Account
    how about we use the dictionary definition rather than the media which constantly makes mountains out of molehills for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Indeed, we must realize that there's a rich variety of reasons for beheading someone a dull blade, some of which aren't savage at all
    I'm with it until the #supportIsrael.

It furthers a false narrative.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

Hate speech is calling a Democrat an "libtard".
    Pretty much this. People are really selective even when they choose to freely express themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    just keep burying your head in the sand and pretending there isn't a motivation or cause and effect relationship behind any of that hatred naw let's just assume their barbaric savages so we can sleep better at night when we drop bombs on them and go back to doing what caused it IN THE FIRST PLACE. i also find it hilarious when nobody points out the fact that military force is just as barbaric as hacking off someones limb.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm with it until the #supportIsrael.

It furthers a false narrative.
    I agree with literally everything on it other than "Support Israel". I'm not particularly invested in Israel, but I do think jihadists are savages that should be defeated.

In any case, it's surely not hate speech. Reading it as something like "it says all Muslims are savages!" would be seem so stupid as to be a deliberate misreading.

just keep burying your head in the sand and pretending there isn't a motivation behind any of that hatred naw let's just assume their barbaric savages so we can sleep better at night when we drop bombs on them and go back to doing what caused it IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    Yeah, if there's anything I've learned from history, it's that with enough hand-wringing and self-loathing, peace can be achieved.

I agree with literally everything on it other than "Support Israel". I'm not particularly invested in Israel, but I do think jihadists are savages that should be defeated.

In any case, it's surely not hate speech. Reading it as something like "it says all Muslims are savages!" would be seem so stupid as to be a deliberate misreading.
    For context, the group that funded the ad is also known as "Stop Islamization of America" and they're decidedly against Islam as a whole.

Deleted
    Is it hate speech to call savages savages?