Deleted

Help - Computer stalling for 2-3mins before windows boots?

Hi there,

Today my computer has started doing something I can't understand. When I press the on switch the fans begin, the red warning VGA LED lights up in the case and the screen stays black and nothing happens for about 2-3 mins (might be longer...feels like an eternity). Then the normal beep sounds and the computer boots, loads windows and works as if nothing is wrong.

I'm really confused as I have never seen this before so any help would be greatly appreciated!

My current setup is:
    CPU: 3.4GHz Intel i7-2600k
    MOBO: Asus p67 Sabertooth
    RAM: Corsair 8GB
    GPU: MSI R9 280
    PSU: Corsair AX850
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    SSD:OCZ vertex2
    HDD WD Black 1TB

Any other info needed then just ask!

Try re-seating your graphics card and memory modules before starting your machine again.

If you can too if youve been messing around in the bios and the bios allows you to; save a profile of your current settings (or write them down) and reset to factory defaults, save and exit see if the issue persists.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Deleted
    Thanks for your quick responses.

I have tried reseating the RAM and the gfx card to no avail. I even tried the gfx card in the lower x8 slot to see if the upper x16 pci slot was faulty.

I'll have a look at the current bios settings but I'm sure I haven't altered anything in there in months.

I fear it is likely to either be bios based or hardware based due to it occurring before the machine boots

10+ Year Old Account
    Any external USB drives?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Could always try another video card if you have one or you could also try one stick of ram at a time. If to no avail there, it may be the system board.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Is it plugged in?
    I wish I was that foolish right now

No external drives plugged in during boot. I will try the ram sticks individually when I get home from work though I have not got a replacement gpu card though so debugging that could be tricky.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

Disable RAID in the BIOS, if that doesn't work update the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Is it plugged in?
    if it wasn't, it would eventually just boot into windows and work just fine
    My Youtube Channel

Failing HDDs and wonky external drives can cause issues with POST. Try pulling the SATA cable from your mechanical and see what happens.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Another suggestion, try replacing your mainboard battery.

Deleted
    Bit of an edit: I was and still getting occasional (rare) "snaps" or flickers (guess some could call it a wobble) on the computer image when running. Almost like a discharge like what used to be seen on old CRT monitors when the sheath was failing. Not sure if that's an unrelated issue though?

Update:
    -Tried clearing CMOS but it had no effect
    -Tried disconnecting hdd/ssd and gpu card last night. Upon starting still had the very long delay before it attempted to boot (of course got a ton of beeps this time instead of one but that was expected!)

Do you have access to a spare graphics card to test if the issue is with your R9 280?

Deleted
    Nope unfortunately I haven't got a spare card to try - death is usually my motivation for buying a new one .

Had massive problems with frame rate during raids tonight and massive latency...Then I saw this

I'm guessing that is pointing at my PSU? I reset the values multiple times during the raid as well to see if it was just a one off.
    Last edited by mmocc2ecc77bda; 2015-03-04 at 10:25 PM.