Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account

[Guardian]If the mastery shield reach 100%+?

Currently I have stack around 2200 mastery, my question is if the mastery shield reach 100%+, is its effect gonna increase as usual or suddenly decrease?

I believe you're fine until 120% mastery, since there's a 20% "grace" shield before our mastery isn't reapplied. After that point, it starts losing value.

Regardless, those numbers are far enough away that I doubt we'll be approaching anywhere close before next xpac.

The negativity of "too much mastery" also assumes you're taking the same damage amount repeatedly, but with so many sources of damage aiming for our mastery bubbles it's unlikely that this would be a problem. If you aim for absorbing huge hits with the mastery bubble (like the physical portion of Gruul's slash), chances are you're layering CD's to where it wouldn't be an issue, either.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thank You, Guys

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    If there is 6.4, I am afraid the mastery may top 100%, after that we may need change the enchants to multistrike

I don't see how that would be an issue, its not like multistrike is a bad stat.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Also:

A: You posted this thread worried about hitting 100%, were told 100% is no big deal, then posted in it again 3 months later worrying we might hit 100%. It's more than a little silly.

B: Passing 100% mastery is, if anything, a good thing. It clashes far less with T&C. It's far better to absorb 100% of an attack and have a few points of absorb left over than to absorb 99/100 of an attack and have T&C mostly wasted absorbing the last 1.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Braindwen View Post
    Also:

A: You posted this thread worried about hitting 100%, were told 100% is no big deal, then posted in it again 3 months later worrying we might hit 100%. It's more than a little silly.

B: Passing 100% mastery is, if anything, a good thing. It clashes far less with T&C. It's far better to absorb 100% of an attack and have a few points of absorb left over than to absorb 99/100 of an attack and have T&C mostly wasted absorbing the last 1.
    ok
    A. 3 month ago, it is about 6.2, now is about potential 6.4;
    B. base on my knowledge, the T&C will be consumed even when the attach being absorbed by shield, pls correct me, if I am wrong;

Quote Originally Posted by ikewu83 View Post
    ok
    A. 3 month ago, it is about 6.2, now is about potential 6.4;
    B. base on my knowledge, the T&C will be consumed even when the attach being absorbed by shield, pls correct me, if I am wrong;
    You were told your "problem" itself is a nonissue. Doesn't matter what patch it is about. It doesn't become any more of a problem to reach a nonproblematic value in a hypothetical 6.4 than it would in 6.2.

Deleted
    I suppose its only an issue if you absorb 100% of an attack, and your shield left over absorbs 21% of the next attack.

But really, that's like first world problems at this stage and would happen with trinket procs probably.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyuben View Post
    I suppose its only an issue if you absorb 100% of an attack, and your shield left over absorbs 21% of the next attack.

But really, that's like first world problems at this stage and would happen with trinket procs probably.
    Lyuben, the T&C will be consumed even when the attach being totally absorbed by shield?

Deleted
    Lyuben, the T&C will be consumed even when the attach being totally absorbed by shield?
    I'm not really sure how it works; maybe tooth and claw doesn't work, but that wouldn't make sense. Since I think tooth and claw works under absorbs. In my mind tooth and claw would be consumed even if the attack is totally consumed, that would just end up creating a situation of a small attack, rather than a problem of destroying your big shield. If you had a 100% shield, and a tooth and claw attack took it to 80%, its still a decent shield. At least, I'm reaching and have no real clue. So its my guess.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really sure how it works; maybe tooth and claw doesn't work, but that wouldn't make sense. Since I think tooth and claw works under absorbs. In my mind tooth and claw would be consumed even if the attack is totally consumed, that would just end up creating a situation of a small attack, rather than a problem of destroying your big shield. If you had a 100% shield, and a tooth and claw attack took it to 80%, its still a decent shield. At least, I'm reaching and have no real clue. So its my guess.
    Nice to hear your feedback, and my view is tooth and claw will be calculated before shield, but may leave a 50% absorb shield

For what it's worth, on pulls due to procs I have well over 100% mastery for the duration, and my health barely moves. Also, when Blizz put in the caveat of attacks breaking shields below a certain threshold still generating a shield from the hit, it's really not an issue.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    For what it's worth, on pulls due to procs I have well over 100% mastery for the duration, and my health barely moves. Also, when Blizz put in the caveat of attacks breaking shields below a certain threshold still generating a shield from the hit, it's really not an issue.
    Such a shame that that trinket gets wasted so often when not tanking considering how powerful it is.

Don't quote me on it, but I feel much more powerful with a large mastery bonus than a large bonus armor one as was the case with the old highmaul trinket.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Such a shame that that trinket gets wasted so often when not tanking considering how powerful it is.

Don't quote me on it, but I feel much more powerful with a large mastery bonus than a large bonus armor one as was the case with the old highmaul trinket.
    I agree,hanz mastery trinket and anzu mastery trinket are bis for us.

Mastery works fine over 100%, you just get a larger shield than the hit you took. Against a boss which hits for constant damage, you don't want to go over ~120% because you want each hit to be fully consumed. Against something that doesn't hit for constant damage (read: everything), it's more of a constant decrease in effectiveness from maybe 90% to 150%. So if you're stacking mastery next tier (as you should), probably avoid mastery procs and otherwise don't worry about it.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, anzu‘s mastery proc seems nice, I guess will try multistrike enchant as a solution to avoid awkward situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there is 6.4, I am afraid the mastery may top 100%, after that we may need change the enchants to multistrike
    Mastery over 100% doesn't matter at all, up till you hit 120% mastery.

Lets say you have 120% mastery, and take a 100k hit. You then have a 120k absorption shield, and negate another 100k hit, bringing it down to 20k absorption. You take a third 100k hit, negating 20k of that damage, AND applying another shield thats either for 120k, or 96k, as I am unsure on whether it works based on unmitigated damage or mitigated damage. All in all, going over the 100% cap is not a concern.

For Tooth and Claw and the SD shield, I believe that Tooth and Claw has the highest priority for absorptions out of all shields currently, in that its applied BEFORE other shield applications. So if you take a 100k hit, have 30k TC reduction and 80k SD, you will instead have a 10k SD shield left over. Not 100% sure on that, someone needs to make a chart listing the absorption priority for all the bubbles. All I'm 100% sure of is that Blood Shield is dead last on the absorption list, or, at least was during Cataclysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.