Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    Depends on the laws, honestly.
    Any law that thinks this is acceptable I will question.

The most notable thing missing from the article is what he actually posted to get him arrested. I'm assuming it's because it would make him much less sympathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siffi View Post
    So what is his nationality? It isn't made clear and if it isn't US then why does the US even have any right to intervene?
    Belleair Bluffs is in Florida.... Given his name, he is American....
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    He committed a crime under UAE law, he went to the UAE, so the claim that he was protected under US law isn't relevant as he isn't being charged by the US.

Welcome to the Internet Age, what you attach your name to can be seen worldwide and some countries have laws different to your own that you can check online.

I see no problem here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    He committed a crime under UAE law, he went to the UAE, so the claim that he was protected under US law isn't relevant as he isn't being charged by the US.

Welcome to the Internet Age, what you attach your name to can be seen worldwide and some countries have laws different to your own that you can check online.

I see no problem here.
    It doesn't disturb you that those laws exist in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by daenerys View Post
    The most notable thing missing from the article is what he actually posted to get him arrested. I'm assuming it's because it would make him much less sympathetic.
    Well honestly I don't see how there can be much sympathy in the first place for someone who works in that shithole and starts crying now over his predicament.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    For anyone using the internet, there should be one general rule hammered into their head....
    The internet is not a law free space.
    Anything and everything we do online is still subject to the applicable laws.
    If I talk shit about a country, and I go there, I can't be surprised when I get arrested, because the law there says so.

Maybe people need to be just a little smarter.
    Stupidity deserves to be punished, quite honestly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

I see no problem here.
    Yeh well... They did jail someone who left a bad comment of its company on Facebook.
    But yeah, apart from this detail everything's pretty hunkydorys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    For anyone using the internet, there should be one general rule hammered into their head....
    The internet is not a law free space.
    Anything and everything we do online is still subject to the applicable laws.
    If I talk shit about a country, and I go there, I can't be surprised when I get arrested, because the law there says so.

Maybe people need to be just a little smarter.
    Stupidity deserves to be punished, quite honestly.
    There's stupidity and ignorance, ignorance doesn't deserve to be punished.

While I don't agree with the potential sentence he could receive for this, it's hardly a surprise coming from a country that's made a name for itself by overdoing everything. I mean come on, their police patrol in bugatti's, lambos, and ferraris.

As for the idiot in trouble, he's just a prime example of why some people should not be allowed to use social media.

Just took a moment and thought about it, I think there should be harsh penalties like that world wide, for any kind of hate speech or harassment done online. Give those morons some accountability for once in their lives.

Deleted
    Well a friend of mine was jailed for a week in Israel for having palestinians on FB

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Yeh well... They did jail someone who left a bad comment of its company on Facebook.
    But yeah, apart from this detail everything's pretty hunkydorys.
    It doest really matter if a law is stupid or not, you have to abide by it none the less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignorance deserves even more punishment, since it causes wars.....
    Stupidity has an excuse.. Ignorance not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Well a friend of mine was jailed for a week in Israel for having palestinians on FB
    Are you serious?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    It doest really matter if a law is stupid or not, you have to abide by it none the less.
    On that I agree.

Deleted
    And stupidity does? I think you have it the wrong way around. Being stupid is something that you can not help, being ignorant is something you can "cure"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Ignorance deserves even more punishment, since it causes wars.....
    Stupidity has an excuse.. Ignorance not.
    I don't think you know what you are talking about. Ignorance: lack of knowledge or information. Sometimes that is not a person's fault, sure, let's go around the globe punishing people for not knowing things. What a ridiculous post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of laws internationally disturb me, we have some in the UK that I think are a bit OTT. However I'm not discussing the merits of the law, just that he should be prosecuted if he broke it and returned to the jurisdiction in which it was a crime, which it appears is the case.

I can break US law from the UK and be prosecuted for it in the US, even if I'd never set foot in the US before being extradited - I find that more disturbing.

That's fine with me. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population

Slander laws exist in pretty much every country on earth, it can just be a matter of the level of punishment. While the Us doesn't have a federal slander law, 17 states have criminal laws against slander.

Also just saying that your boss sucks, or that your boss is an asshole is not slander. Slander would be saying that your boss is selling weapons to ISIS, or that your boss is involved in human trafficking, without sufficient evidence. Again it's not stated what this guy actually said. Until we know what he said it's premature to be to sympathetic.