Thread: 2016 MLB Thread

Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    About 15 more years and baseball will be allowed to be fun again.

Pretty excited for this season, mostly because I or anybody else doesn't know what the M's will do. They look like potential to be in the hunt, but I don't see much depth at least yet.
    1996 Mariners: You Gotta Love These Guys?

2016 Mariners: Who Are These Guys?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I really think the whole American League will be interesting this year. Does anybody have any idea who will do well there? Maybe the A's are the only team you could predict might do poorly and not be surprised. The NL has those 4-6 bottom feeder teams that makes it a lot less interesting.
    Well, if spring training is supposed to be an indicator or where teams are at, Baltimore is going to be the whipping boys this year because last I heard, they haven't won a game while the other teams in the AL East are all destroying their opposition. I kinda figure the Rays will be the 4th string team in their division. Even with their less than impressive pitching lineup, the Jays are poised to win the division just on that offense and defense alone plus having a pretty solid bullpen. I know a lot can't be taken out of spring training but Baltimore just looks shitty, Boston and New York are going to slug it out for second in that division though. I dunno about the Central and West, one has to think Houston will be decent, and Kansas City will be really good too, but as a whole I don't see the AL as being a tough conference to come out of as the champion, while the NL has some pretty damn good teams even though some of that balance of power has shifted away from the Dodgers. The Mets were a Cinderella story last year, as were the Cubs, whether they can repeat their success will be interesting to see.

So you'd potentially seriously injure someone for a bat flip or stepping in the wrong place?
    Oh, indeed. Really though, i wouldn't head hunt, but to paraphrase my dude Pedro "I don't believe in them curses, i say bring back the bambino and let me face him. I'll probably drill him in the ass." I'm old though, but i like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well, if spring training is supposed to be an indicator or where teams are at
    I think, considering the lower number of ABs and Innings the big names get, Spring Training success is more an indicator of depth. The Dodgers are wrecking teams, and it has more to do with their superior depth than the superiority of their starters. You learn as much about the AA and AAA teams during the spring as you do about the MLB club.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I think, considering the lower number of ABs and Innings the big names get, Spring Training success is more an indicator of depth. The Dodgers are wrecking teams, and it has more to do with their superior depth than the superiority of their starters. You learn as much about the AA and AAA teams during the spring as you do about the MLB club.
    I suppose, but I didn't think Baltimore was that bad, or that as an organization, they had almost no good prospects. I mean, I already know what the Jays organization is and that they have a decent prospect pool, and most of the minor league players aren't going to get a shot unless a starter gets injured, but even having half of your regular starters should help win some games in spring training.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that ~15 games, with split squad teams and starters going 2 or 3 innings is an indicator of much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    1996 Mariners: You Gotta Love These Guys?

2016 Mariners: Who Are These Guys?
    I like that they are trying to build a team with some speed. Maybe they can build a team similar to the Royals where they were able to play small ball as well as hit the deep ball like they tried to rely on last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I don't believe that ~15 games, with split squad teams and starters going 2 or 3 innings is an indicator of much of anything.
    Surely when Justin Smoak pinch hits for Bautista with the bases loaded, it is indicative of how good a team is trying to be. (This literally just happened in the Jays/Orioles games)

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    This Adam LaRoche story is the craziest thing I've heard in years. Why was the kid in the clubhouse every single day? Why did the Sox agree to this when they signed him? Why would Kenny make the decision to say no more without consulting any of the players or Robin or the GM? Just so many questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a totally ridiculous situation.

It just keeps getting more and more surreal. Chris Sale seems to be taking this reaaaaaaaaal hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like Robin Ventura is single-handedly preventing mutiny. Sale is their best player, and he feels lied to, I have to assume the majority of the other players feel the same way.

Someone created this, please help the LaRoche family! https://www.gofundme.com/pxuvauve

Someone created this, please help the LaRoche family! https://www.gofundme.com/pxuvauve
    Hahahahaha. That is gold.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Commenter is really upset about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alex Rodriguez announces he will retire... at the end of NEXT season. Not exactly a dramatic reveal.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's nothing compared to the news that's plaguing Chicago right now... HOW BAD IS ARRIETA'S BLISTER?? MORE AT 11

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Giants have the worst ERA in spring training. Looking forward to April 3!

AL East:

This division really only had one good team: the Blue Jays. But the Blue Jays regressed a bit in the offseason by losing ace David Price to the Red Sox and replacing him with two huge question marks in either Gavin Floyd or Aaron Sanchez. All bets are therefore off in the Blue Jays making the playoffs again. And if its not them, the division will default to the Yankees who will probably get around 90 wins. The Orioles are the only team that might challenge but their rotation is a house of cards with Tillman, Gonzalez, and Ubaldo all having some potential but really just a mirage more than anything.

AL Central:

The question for me is this: Did Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer truly breakout in 2016, or was that just a career year for them? The offense is iffy even with their new production level, but if they tail back off, its not a quality offense to me considering Ben Zobrist left for the cubs as well. They also lost Johnny Cueto and made a bad move by giving a lot of money to Ian Kennedy to replace him. The White Sox added two bats in star 3B Todd Frazier and 2B Brett Lawrie, but the OF has question marks and the rotation isn't any better with Samardizja getting away and replacing him with Matt Latos, who was junk. The Tigers also lost David Price and replaced him with prospect Daniel Norris who is an iffy starter. They also lost Yoenis Cespedes. Shane Greene was a bright prospect for the Tiger rotation at this time last year, but after altering his pitches and major surgery on an artery in his arm and losing his job, he's forgettable. The Indians have a ridiculous starting rotation, possibly the best in baseball but the hitting is terrible. As I write this, there are STILL rumors they made trade one of their starting pitchers for a bat. This is a team that truly could be one bat away from winning the division. They probably need to trade a starting pitcher just to make room for prospect Mike Clevinger who is almost ready for the bigs and will command a spot in 2016 -- its just strange they haven't done it yet. I'll give this division to the Indians.

AL West:

The Astros are the class of the division right now. Their farm system just produced the best SS in baseball in Carlos Correa. Pairing him with Jose Altuve up the middle is sick. Throw in George Springer and they've got 3 dangerous hitters in that lineup, plus potential for big years from Rasmus, Valbuena, and Gattis. They've got 2 excellent starting pitchers in Keuchel and McHugh. The Rangers are an interesting threat but everything must break right. The Rangers have Cole Hamels, Yu Darvish, and Colby Lewis in the rotation which could break the right away and make them very scary. They have hitting prospects in Gallo and Mazara who, if they break out in 2016, paired with Fielder, Choo, Moreland, etc., could make them scary. The Rangers are an average team with lots of upside.

The state of the AL in 2016 is no dominant team. The Blue Jays and Rangers have a surplus of hitting but need 1 more starting pitcher. The Indians have starting pitching coming out of their ears but need 1 more bat. The Astros have a good balance of both. My best guess as to how the season will play out is that Clevinger will be given a couple months more time to develop in the Indians farm system, and then the Indians will trade a starter around the deadline to the national league (why trade a starter to the Blue Jays or Rangers when it will just make it tougher to win the pennant?) for a bat and promote Clevinger to fill the spot and then go on a second half tear and win the American League.

NL East:

The Mets rightly own this division now. They have a young, bright, deep rotation with deGrom, Harvey, Syndergaard, and Matz. They added Cespedes to their lineup to put them over the top ..... and then resigned him. The truth is, this was actually the best team in baseball at the end of 2016. The Royals were the worst possible World Series draw for them because the Royals scrappy contact hitters were the perfect counter for the fireballers in the Mets rotation. Sure enough, they managed to slap the ball around the yard. The Nationals deserve mention here as well because Strasburg, Sherzer, Gonzalez, and Ross is a strong rotation as well, but the offense is lackluster beyond Bryce Harper.

NL Central:

The Cardinals are a strange team because they won 100 games a year ago and .... they have upside. They are also snakebit. The rotation was very strong a year ago but was also devastated by injuries, losing Adam Wainwright, Carlos Martinez, and Lance Lynn. Wainwright and Martinez will be back in 2016 and the rotation also has Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia. That's still a very good rotation. Last year they had Matt Carpenter, Randall Grichuk, and Steven Piscotty all emerge as hitters and they could grow as well in 2016. The Cardinals are ridiculous. But they've already lost starting SS Jhonny Peralta to torn ligaments in his thumb, so they are scrambling there. The Cardinals have a deep rotation and actually could have a slugging lineup in 2016. To me the Cardinals own this division and should win 100 games again...possibly more. Could win 105-110 if it all breaks right. The Cubs have an ace in Arrieta and some good pitching behind him in the rotation but it impresses me less than the Cardinals. They have a pretty good lineup anchored by superstar sluggers Rizzo and Kris Bryant. Should win 92-97 games. The Pirates should also be mentioned. Pittsburgh mostly stood pat in the offseason but how well Jung Ho Kang recovers from his injury. Their rotation is weaker than the Cardinals or Cubs and seem like a third place finish to me.

NL West:

The Diamondbacks are my pick to win the West. They did a complete rebuild of their rotation from a year ago. They now have a big 3 in the rotation with Zack Grienke, Shelby Miller, and Patrick Corbin. Corbin is arguably an ace that everyone forgets about. GoldSchmidt and Pollock provide a strong foundation for the hitting. Maybe one more hitter would make me feel better about this pick but I will choose Arizona to win the west. The Dodgers lost Grienke and replaced him with Scott Kazmir. The bigger replacement is coming from the minors because Julio Urias is expected to debut in 2016. They also added Kenta Maeda, a Japanese import. RyU is recovering from surgery and will return in May. The rotation has a high ceiling and if it hits on everything, they will win the division. The hitting has been a disappointment overall for the money spent, but Puig is still just 25 and could turn it around. Corey Seager could be a superstar SS. The team has potential but I like the Diamondbacks slightly more. The Giants overhauled their rotation, adding Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija behind Bumgarner. Boy, they needed Cueto. Clayton Blackburn will get called up to help the rotation in 2016. The offense is its usual plucky self. Posey, Belt, Panik, Span and Duffy should all hit .300 with light to medium power. Then a couple other guys will hit .275. Individually, you don't draft them for fantasy, but as a group in real life baseball its like a swarm of gnats. Always a sleeper team.

The state of the NL is that most analysts seem to favor the Cubs but I think they are overrated. The Cardinals are the best team in the NL to me (but again, snakebit). The Mets are the second best team.

World series pick is Cardinals over Indians.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    AL East:

NL West:

The Diamondbacks are my pick to win the West. They did a complete rebuild of their rotation from a year ago. They now have a big 3 in the rotation with Zack Grienke, Shelby Miller, and Patrick Corbin. Corbin is arguably an ace that everyone forgets about. GoldSchmidt and Pollock provide a strong foundation for the hitting. Maybe one more hitter would make me feel better about this pick but I will choose Arizona to win the west. The Dodgers lost Grienke and replaced him with Scott Kazmir. The bigger replacement is coming from the minors because Julio Urias is expected to debut in 2016. They also added Kenta Maeda, a Japanese import. RyU is recovering from surgery and will return in May. The rotation has a high ceiling and if it hits on everything, they will win the division. The hitting has been a disappointment overall for the money spent, but Puig is still just 25 and could turn it around. Corey Seager could be a superstar SS. The team has potential but I like the Diamondbacks slightly more. The Giants overhauled their rotation, adding Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija behind Bumgarner. Boy, they needed Cueto. Clayton Blackburn will get called up to help the rotation in 2016. The offense is its usual plucky self. Posey, Belt, Panik, Span and Duffy should all hit .300 with light to medium power. Then a couple other guys will hit .275. Individually, you don't draft them for fantasy, but as a group in real life baseball its like a swarm of gnats. Always a sleeper team.
    I don't think Blackburn makes it up permanently. If Cain or Peavy prove ineffective, Heston gets the 5th spot automatically. Christian Arroyo will be called up if Brandon Crawford gets hurt and Kelby Tomlinson can't replicate his partial 2015 season. The outfield is the weakest part of the Giants roster even with the addition of Span. One of either Mac Williamson or Jarrett Parker will be the 4th outfielder for the Giants at the end of the season unless they get an OF in a trade.