10+ Year Old Account

Power supply issues.

Hey everyone. My brother in-law is having some really strange problems with his power supplies. It all started about, 6 months ago, he had one die, it was several years old, and we thought no big deal, slapped a new one in it and it ran fine for a week. Week later he texts me saying it blew again. So, he exchanges the power supply, I do a full tear down and rebuild to make sure of no shorts anywhere. Runs fine for about two months, same as before dies, full tear down, he gets another power supply, fast forward to tonight. He texts that hes coming over with his PC and new PS again. First things first, I plug it in here to double check, and it fires right up, loads just fine, everything. Told him to take it home and try it again. Now it powers up, then immediately shuts back off. For reference he currently has a Corsair CR430. I had him try it in other places in his mothers house(he is still in highschool) and the same thing occurs. But low and behold, he took it to a buddies house nearby and it fires up no problems. I think it has something to do with the electrical in his mothers house, any tips or ideas would be wonderful. He has also been trying an array of surge protectors that seem to help for a bit.

definitely sounds like a problem at his mom's house. Should probably call an electrician to help diagnose the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    CR430 or CX430?

The CX430 has a tendency to have symptoms exactly what you described, and many people (myself included) have gone through multiple DOAs.

I'm not aware of any CR430.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    My bad, it is the CX430, this isn't the only brand he has used though which is why I didn't think it was just this power supply. He did swap to his new supply last night. Not sure which brand or model, some 500w he got from staples, same issues. Work at my house and his buddies, but from no outlets at all in his moms house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharias View Post
    My bad, it is the CX430, this isn't the only brand he has used though which is why I didn't think it was just this power supply. He did swap to his new supply last night. Not sure which brand or model, some 500w he got from staples, same issues. Work at my house and his buddies, but from no outlets at all in his moms house.
    Maybe try using a UPS?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tip Lathais, I'll have him pick one up when he gets out of school today and see if it works.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    call an electrician to check the wires in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Sartharias View Post
    Thanks for the tip Lathais, I'll have him pick one up when he gets out of school today and see if it works.
    If it works through the UPS, then there are obviously some power issues going on at that house and he should follow Danifilth's advice, call an electrician.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If it works through the UPS, then there are obviously some power issues going on at that house and he should follow Danifilth's advice, call an electrician.
    He didn't pick one up but, hopefully he can by this weekend to test it. I doubt anyone in that house would call an electrician. Their landlord hardly takes care of anything and since there is no written agreement that they can live there, just cash exchanges hands and call it that, they won't say anything and are scared to lose the place, and then the mother/father are a whole different story I won't mention here. Once he graduates in June though, he won't be living with them and will move in with my wife and I. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    CR430 or CX430?

The CX430 has a tendency to have symptoms exactly what you described, and many people (myself included) have gone through multiple DOAs.

I'm not aware of any CR430.
    Can you tell if those "symptoms" are common? was going to buy 1 of those next week...