Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Cherry MX Red or Cherry MX Brown?

I can't decide which key switch to get! Help please.
    http://re-lapse.enjin.com/
    Fri Sat 9PM-1AM EST
    13/13M
    US #1 Weekend Guild
    If you have what it takes, apply.

Test out for yourself. Most times it comes down to how hard do you press you keys. There is a small difference in tactile feedback, but most males (in my experience) dont feel a difference.

Browns require a touch more pressure to push and also have a tactile bump you feel when typing. Reds are a linear switch and a bit lighter to press.

My keyboard uses reds and I've been happy with it.

Should have been a poll. I vote brown.

Deleted
    I adore brown, but can't stand red. My girlfriend loves her reds, though.

Basically, my issue with red is that there's no tactile feedback (or, bump) pushing back against your finger. Brown, however has this, so there's this nice pressure threshold that is crossed all of a sudden, resulting in a keystroke. Reds just slip and slide as soon as you touch them, half depressing and all that shit. Yech.

Red-loving heathens prefer them for their slick, speedy, responsive feel - they're generally preferred for gaming. I hate them because it makes typing like walking on ice; way more typos.
    Brown-loving patrionts prefer them for their springy, push-back - they're generally preferred for typing. I love them, because I feel like motherfucken liberace whilst typing.

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    I adore brown, but can't stand red. My girlfriend loves her reds, though.

Basically, my issue with red is that there's no tactile feedback (or, bump) pushing back against your finger. Brown, however has this, so there's this nice pressure threshold that is crossed all of a sudden, resulting in a keystroke. Reds just slip and slide as soon as you touch them, half depressing and all that shit. Yech.

Red-loving heathens prefer them for their slick, speedy, responsive feel - they're generally preferred for gaming. I hate them because it makes typing like walking on ice; way more typos.
    Brown-loving patrionts prefer them for their springy, push-back - they're generally preferred for typing. I love them, because I feel like motherfucken liberace whilst typing.
    Sorry couldn't hear you over how fast I was going with my reds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaelath View Post
    Sorry couldn't hear you over how fast I was going with my reds.
    Better dead than red!

Highly recommend Cherry MX brown.

The reds don't have that "clicky" feel like the browns do, so it's very challenging to tell when the button actuates. The brown switches are much more responsive to the brain to tell you when you have pressed the button.

I wouldn't touch MX reds, they would be among the last cherry switches I would ever use. I'd go with blues or greens before reds any day.

Edit > Also realize that your typing accuracy will definitely be worse with red switches.
    Last edited by Kelsierx; 2015-03-04 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends, typing long papers with browns sounds like you're lining up people on walls in your house and opening fire with a minigun. Clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack

10+ Year Old Account
    I have cherry mx brown and they're fantastic. I originally wanted red because that's what most people use for gaming, but I stopped myself after realizing how loud they are.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It depends, typing long papers with browns sounds like you're lining up people on walls in your house and opening fire with a minigun. Clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack
    Aren't you thinking of blue switches? Browns are quieter than blues.

However, browns can admittedly become somewhat noisy with vigorous typing.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    but red does seem more suited to gaming.
    They're very much a gaming switch, as gamers bottom out keys on a regular basis. Since my days of school papers are behind me, I'm not regularly typing a lot so red suit me just fine. If papers/documents are something you do often enough, then you're better of with p̶o̶o̶ brown switches.

My Deck Legend Frost keyboard uses Cherry MX Clears. Best keyboard I have ever used. Thing is 3 years old and looks and feels brand new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved the thread, not a WoW Gen discussion topic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

You need to test the switches. Different people prefer different switches for typing.

I use Blues at home (love em) at browns at work (so I don't drive my coworkers completely mad), but I know plenty of people that prefer reds, or greens, or blacks.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    All about the blues. Never tried the brown, but didn't much like the reds. I have heavy hands, so just gliding from key to key my fingers would press keys on the reds and it was annoying. I bought two K70s, the red and blue, and kept the blues and don't regret it.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

Personal opinion about the Cherry MX switches I've tried:
    Blue (and thus white) > Black > Green (and thus white) > Clear > Brown > Red
    In all cases except red, I like them.
    Good luck getting hold of a whole board with green/clear though.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Out of the two, and I have both, I prefer the brown for most tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

I have browns ( Razer orange ), and a friend has G710+, it has some feedback to it, that you can feel.
    Reds are just slightly easier to press, and linear, you don't feel that "bump" on them.