Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    After watching this vid a while ago

I came to the realization that proper archery has yet to be implemented in Hollywood or video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

I came to the realization that proper archery has yet to be implemented in Hollywood or video games.
    Shame it doesn't tell how much draw power that bow needs, it looks like something that sits around 30 or so. Great accuracy and all but actual medieval longbows meant for killing is estimate to have sat around 90-110 pounds force at a minimum.

Bottom line, that video should be taken with a wheelbarrow full of salt.

Deleted
    The issue is that compared to "real life" gaming on PC has a lot of minor problems when using a bow.

-Bows usually have higher bullet drop (I don't know the correct term but you know what I mean)
    -You have to charge a bow and some games have the thing where if you keep it "charged" for too long your character will let the arrow fly due to stress on the arm.
    -It's hard to judge distance in games due to graphics, unless you have an ultra rig and said game is designed to render everything properly at all times in a mile radius it isn't ideal to use a bow.

With just these issues they have to compensate and give the player someone of an advantage or otherwise it wouldn't be worth using it.

As someone else mentioned, try the last "Tomb Raider" and DO NOT UPGRADE ANY WEAPONS. The game is extremely fun and can be challenging if you leave the weapons not upgraded. The bow doesn't instant kill either if you don't make a head shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    The Legend of Zelda:
    Ocarina of Time
    Majora's Mask
    Wind Waker
    Twilight Princess
    Skyward Sword

You have lots of bows and bows variants on those games!

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY HOOKSHOT!
    OP is looking for a realistic archery game and your suggestion is the Legend of Zelda series...are you kidding me?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post

I dunno, I found The Hobbit a pretty shitty movie and it had this kind of archery with a badly made Legolas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I tried tomb raider, only played about 25 minutes of it so far, so many quick time events already <.<

- - - Updated - - -

I actually own that and play it but never as an archer lol :P
    The quick time events is mostly at the beginning and at major events. During gameplay you only use them to counter something if I recall correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I found The Hobbit a pretty shitty movie and it had this kind of archery with a badly made Legolas.
    That's because the videos claim of that style of shooting being "forgotten" is total and utter bullshit among a whole host of other inaccuracies.
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-03-05 at 09:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Shame it doesn't tell how much draw power that bow needs, it looks like something that sits around 30 or so. Great accuracy and all but actual medieval longbows meant for killing is estimate to have sat around 90-110 pounds force at a minimum.

The bow I hunt deer with is 55LB draw, but has quite a decent amount of let off at full draw. I can't imagine pulling back on 90lb draw and having to hold it for any length of time :P
    You're a towel.

Maybe you just need to be better with the bow. When hunting deer make sure you're going for the headshot.

A lot of weapons aren't realistically portrayed in video games. It's just an entertainment thing. Don't put too much thought into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    Maybe you just need to be better with the bow. When hunting deer make sure you're going for the headshot.

A lot of weapons aren't realistically portrayed in video games. It's just an entertainment thing. Don't put too much thought into it.
    Going for a headshot with a bow is ludicrous, as I'm sure you realize (I'm assuming that was a joke) :P
    You're a towel.

As someone said, Thief 1,2,3 are awesome and are stealth games. Best bow usage I have seen in a game yet.

Do not try Thief 2014 though, perhaps before you try Thief 1,2,3 because the new one doesn't even deserve the name Thief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    As someone said, Thief 1,2,3 are awesome and are stealth games. Best bow usage I have seen in a game yet.

Do not try Thief 2014 though, perhaps before you try Thief 1,2,3 because the new one doesn't even deserve the name Thief.
    I'll have to try them out. I have seen them on steam, at least I think I have. I got some spare change jingling around, might have to give them a whirl
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post

Longbow men tend to shoot at rather large distances making that a weak comparison. The trick shots in the video correlate to more personal combat scenarios, which would make a decent game IMO. Bows in today's games are pretty much as the OP mentioned, some one shot weapon that provides the silent stealth kill. This is usually accompanied by long draws, steady aims, and suited for oblivious targets.

I could see a game implementing similar techniques that were displayed in that vid.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thief?

i would say Crysis 3 but i think thats what your trying to stear from by the sounds of it.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    Thief?

i would say Crysis 3 but i think thats what your trying to stear from by the sounds of it.
    I will have to give thief a try, lots of people saying its good
    You're a towel.

Can't you just imagine that the arrows are laced with some poison and kill fast thx to it ...

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The bow I hunt deer with is 55LB draw, but has quite a decent amount of let off at full draw. I can't imagine pulling back on 90lb draw and having to hold it for any length of time :P
    Dem compounds with 98% let-off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried tomb raider, only played about 25 minutes of it so far, so many quick time events already <.<

- - - Updated - - -

I actually own that and play it but never as an archer lol :P
    The quick time events become much rarer after the introduction.

Also I didnt mention the Thief games in my original post, because again the bow will one shot unaware enemies with shots to the head/back. Also the visuals can be hard to bear now.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2015-03-07 at 08:03 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know, 3d archery simulator would actually be kind of fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    The quick time events become much rarer after the introduction.

Also I didnt mention the Thief games in my original post, because again the bow will one shot unaware enemies with shots to the head/back. Also the visuals can be hard to bear now.
    LIke..I don't care if a headshot kills in one hit from stealth (Even though it would be ludicrous irl) but just games where things like a leg shot is isntantly fatal takes me so far out of immersion :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bayuriel View Post
    Dem compounds with 98% let-off.
    I don't have quite that much on mine, that would be nice for those times when the damn deer stops behind a tree right where I want to shoot it for five minutes
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/247770/

Best Archery game ever. I aint into all the hunter type games but this one was just so good.
    Uses the same type of slowmo x-ray as sniper elite, and you get points based on how you kill e.g. gut shot is minus points
    but a clean shot through both lungs gets xtra points.