Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Played to Max level Healer Class did all the dungeons, don't assume that everyone that got annoyed by it simply doesn't "know the game" or played it for a single day.

Nobody likes a fanboy and nobody takes one seriously.
    Call me fanboy if you must, what we are talking about here is opinions of the game. I was talking specifically about the GCD complainers. They are incredibly obvious that they don't know the game.

If you played the game to it's fruition and don't like it, hey I can't really fault you for having your own opinion, but you also can't claim the GCD complainers have experienced any more than the first few hours of game play either, and shouldn't really say that the game is bad because they don't know the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh right, there's a free login week for people that already have the game this week for whomever wants to mess around. It's until the 9th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be prepared for constant world/realms crashing it happens daily (and I thought blizz servers were bad) and the constant gil spammers n bots that run rampant like the mmorpg just launched (which it hasn't)

If you aren't interested in reading that long list then just read this below

Overall I say this game is good enough to hold you over for a month or two if you end up being bored with WoW or waiting for something more interesting to come out... if you some how still like the game afterwards then good for you... count me out though XD

Not ever going back with any of the future content (not even the upcoming expansion)

What server were you on? I've only had a server go down maybe twice since the launches fun stuff and mine was a high pop server.

That said, FFXIV is usually a hit or miss for most people and it isn't until they've tried it that they can make the descision. I sub everytime a patch hits because the content is worth at least 13$ and a month worth of gameplay for me, but I also don't rush content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    Call me fanboy if you must, what we are talking about here is opinions of the game. I was talking specifically about the GCD complainers. They are incredibly obvious that they don't know the game.

If you played the game to it's fruition and don't like it, hey I can't really fault you for having your own opinion, but you also can't claim the GCD complainers have experienced any more than the first few hours of game play either, and shouldn't really say that the game is bad because they don't know the game.
    You are the first person to come in this thread that plays or has played this game that says it isn't an issue at all. Others including those who still play say it's a significant difference that does make combat come across less fluid and slower than what you're used to in other games.

Regardless if a person played the game 1 hour or 100 hours, if it hindered them from going further it hindered them.

As a 14 year MMORPG player, and 10 year WoW player(have my statue to prove it!), I HATE that people think a 2.5 second GCD is a problem. Do people get bored in that one second? Why the hell is it such a thing to people? I love breaking keyboards spamming keys like the next guy, but I don't think it's what makes an mmorpg decent in the least.

Old person moment, back in the day in Everquest, on some bosses, I would push 1 button every 8-12 seconds and guess what? The game was fucking amazing. The amount of buttons you push doesn't make a game good or bad.

Back on topic. The game is a breath of fresh air. WoW's day to day is just horrid, as always. Log on, do a few min of garrison stuff, look around, log off. Couple times a week jump in to raids. It's nice to have something to actually do. That being said, if I had been playing ff14 for 10 years, I'm sure I'd want a breath of fresh air from it too.

tl;dr - give it a try. It's a fun game. Get over the higher GCD as it does go away a bit at high levels(lots of off gcd things) and remember that low level leveling is horrid in all games. Pushing only smite for 20 levels was boring as hell in WoW, same kind of thing here but you actually use almost all of you abilities while leveling and not just 1 big one that kills everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF-XIV is very fun and I play both games. And it looks absolutely gorgeous, esp if you combine it with SweetFX.

Main difference: 3.0s GCD.
    You WILL notice it as a wow player and to be perfectly frank, it makes playing DPS a total no-no for me. I dabble as a Black Mage, since my main is a White Mage (healer), but I have to be careful not to fall asleep. As a haste capped shadow priests who is used to multidotting and the whole shabang, playing the rather simplistic Blackmage with the 3.0s per cast snoozefest was.. jarring to say the least.
    The longer GCD does make playing a healer more interesting though, because if you make a bad decision your tank can die during that 3s.

Second thing you WILL notice is server position polling interval of 400ms. Yes it takes 400 ms for the server to recognize where you stand but it feels like much longer at times. Want to melee a mob that is being kited? Forget it,you will be spammed with error messages, use range skills.
    Esp annoying if you play a tank and want to catch a mob you have lost aggro due to trigger happy DPS. If your taunt is on CD, you basically have no other choice than to wait till that mob is at it's destination and then grab aggro as quickly as you can once your skills start working again.
    FFXIV makes you realize how pampered you really are as a WoW player when it comes to position acuity and responsiveness.

Also, you sometimes will rage at your UI. But that'll pass once you know it's quirks. ^^

-Dungeons actually kill you if you derp on mechanics. Moving out of AoE (almost always marked orange, similar to Wildstar) is KING.
    -There is no recount (community 3rd party version is a bannable offense) but you also don't need them. Classes (casters at least) are simplistic and the encounters aren't balanced around "OMG lul DPS" but rather a flawless handling of mechanics.
    -Story is interesting, but takes a while to get going, so be patient.
    -Unless you are the type that likes to play the AH, STAY AWAY FROM CRAFTING (really can't stress this enough) it's a GINORMOUS effort once you are past the pure leveling to 50 compared to WoW and also completely useless if you decide to raid as far as gearing goes. Can be a nice money maker though. (Don't invest now, Addon is around the corner!)
    - If you are not the raiding kind, daily dungeons give very nice gear that can be upgraded in the LFR pendant via drops to be close to raiding gear.

Yeah, that's pretty much what's on the top of my head.
    Bottom line: a fun game, I almost instantly fell in love with my character, that's why I play both.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    As a 14 year MMORPG player, and 10 year WoW player(have my statue to prove it!), I HATE that people think a 2.5 second GCD is a problem. Do people get bored in that one second? Why the hell is it such a thing to people? I love breaking keyboards spamming keys like the next guy, but I don't think it's what makes an mmorpg decent in the least.
    That heavily depends on the encounter but yes, if I really have one button to push every 2.5s while not being required to pay attention to other stuff?
    I fall asleep.

That's why I play Whitemage (heal).
    1) casts are a tad shorter
    2) time till the next cast is filled with observation of the team & boss, as well as triage.

But as I said: at the time I started FFXIV I was used to a haste capped MoP shadowpriest, so going from a <1s GCD Multidot class to a single target automatic AoE class like Blackmage with 3s casts was an extreme transition in itself.

Oh and movement heavy Encounters like Titan royally suck as BLM 3s Hardcasts FTL. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Regardless if a person played the game 1 hour or 100 hours, if it hindered them from going further it hindered them.
    I think he is referring to skills OFF the GCD. I've heard that Melee gets quite a few of them at high level and that they make a big difference in the feeling of the combat.
    But I hate playing melee DPS with a passion (in both WoW and FF-XIV) so I can't comment on that one.

BLM has 2, both are procs and they proc to rarely to really make a difference (IMHO).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I really liked the looks of the characters in the game. Especially a lot of the gear.
    Yeah.. going back to WoWs "painted on" caster gear was... painful.

I have played WoW off and on since it's launch and love the game, sometimes it gets boring because it just gets old after a while. I played FFXIV:ARR when it first launched and have been a subscriber ever since.

The combat is a little slow at the beginning when you don't have many skills, but I think that's the same as with any MMO, but in FFXIV it's exaggerated a bit because the GCD is 2.5 seconds. That pace actually feels really nice once you start getting into content where execution is key because it doesn't feel quite so frenetic as in WoW and it gives time to assess a situation and choose the right move and doesn't feel quite so spammy.

Bottom line for me, FFXIV is a fun game with a lot to do, good gameplay and has a great development team doing great work. For MMO fans, I personally think it's a must try, some people may not like it as much but it has a lot of great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post

Old person moment, back in the day in Everquest, on some bosses, I would push 1 button every 8-12 seconds and guess what? The game was fucking amazing. The amount of buttons you push doesn't make a game good or bad.

Back on topic. The game is a breath of fresh air. WoW's day to day is just horrid, as always. Log on, do a few min of garrison stuff, look around, log off. Couple times a week jump in to raids. It's nice to have something to actually do. That being said, if I had been playing ff14 for 10 years, I'm sure I'd want a breath of fresh air from it too.

tl;dr - give it a try. It's a fun game. Get over the higher GCD as it does go away a bit at high levels(lots of off gcd things) and remember that low level leveling is horrid in all games. Pushing only smite for 20 levels was boring as hell in WoW, same kind of thing here but you actually use almost all of you abilities while leveling and not just 1 big one that kills everything.
    Well even if i didn't play straight the 10 years, so no statue here ( Anyway, my former acc got banned and had to buy a new one), i was around for all that time and i agree with you. I don't mind the GCD as long as the game entertains me, and as you said, what i'm looking for is something "new-ish" but at the same time, with the same essence.

I'm for sure giving it a try... If i'm ever able to register since i can't get the activation mail to send =/

Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    All the people commenting on the GCD timers in FFXIV are people who don't really have more than a few hours experience, and thus no real room to complain about anything. The GCD is much reduced at higher levels, and that alone is not a comment on anything except for people's short attention span and ability to accept not everything will just be handed to them (thus the typical terrible WoW player that ruins every game). I personally am glad that the GCD system early on weeds these people out, as it means we don;t have to deal with them when the game starts to get awesome at higher levels.

For me personally, as a person who gave up WoW in this expac because the lack of content and the removal of flight: This game is polished, really fun. The abilities are exciting. The community is a blessing. The content releases put shame on WoW. IF you are a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise: this game is for you. If you are a fan of REAL mmoRPG's: This game is for you. If you are a fan of stifled, same old same old, class imbalance, regression in features, tired, lackluster, no-longer-interested developers: This is not your game.
    This posts could not contain more fallacies if you even tried. Some of us who got tired of it (though I still play but less frequently than I used to) was for valid reasons. GCD being sluggish can be felt even at max level, it isn't that much reduced at 50 like you're claiming (oh hai 2.4 GCD instead of 2.5 at level 50 with higher than 400 Spell Speed. That 0,1 second man. Minus for Black Mage, Skill Speed and Spell Speed are terrible stats for every other jobs and for some, it's an actual damage loss over a certain threshold. Why do you think they are doing an overhaul of the whole Skill/Spell Speed system in Heavensward ?

The community isn't that much better either. It's a cesspool of terrible player that will cry havok if they get called out on being bad (and the worst players of FFXIV puts the worse players of WoW to shame) and will complain over the pettiest things on the official forums. Honestly, the only thing the community is "better" on is not complaining about class balance (even though it's terribly obvious that there are qutie a few issues regarding it) as much but that's because they don't have even remotely close to the same tool for that as WoW and talking about parsers/damage meters in game to other people is a first class ticket to geting a warning/ban on your account. Of course a lot of people use it and the Fight Club rule about parsers is tolerated by Square Enix but that also means you're forced to deal with terrible players to whom you can't even nicely suggest that they are doing it wrong without them telling you to "F*** off, I play like I want, Reported for Harassement", etc.

The raiding compared to WoW is also a joke. 4 lair raids every 6 months that aren't hard whatsoever and can be completed in 2 hours on farm mode. Dungeons wise though, FFXIV is on a much higher level than WoW. Their dungeons/trials are miles ahead from WoW's and since most of their player based won't even go in Coils, they don't care about the rest of the end game even though it could be massively improved on. Yoshida mentioned that raids will be harded in Heavensward but that remains to be seen. Two times so far he tried to make them harder just to come back and be like "Ooops, players were better than we thought!"

Not to even mention the grind-a-palooza that is Gold Saucer and the fiasco of Triple Triad tournaments.

Don't drop your rose-tinted glasses though, you might see reality without them.
    Last edited by Dwill; 2015-03-04 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigma View Post
    I'm for sure giving it a try... If i'm ever able to register since i can't get the activation mail to send =/
    Maybe it got gobbled up by your spam filters?

Deleted
    Well, i dont know. I played it for short. Playing something priest-like, which was quite fun. But i stopped playing it because i returned to WoW.

I did not like it that much. It's just another WoW-clone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Oh and movement heavy Encounters like Titan royally suck as BLM 3s Hardcasts FTL. >.<
    That people still die to after 4 content patches later~.

I played FFXIV for about 10 hrs and couldn't get into it. I know that is not enough time, but something did not engage me about the game.

That said, it was incredibly beautiful and it seemed like it had a lot of potential. I don't think it would be a bad idea to check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah.. going back to WoWs "painted on" caster gear was... painful.
    Yeah, physics apply to gear also. It's pretty fun to have around.

Wow, thanks for elaborating, really apreciated

Now this is really making me want to try the game, but no way i can creaty my acc because of no activation mail

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwill View Post
    It's a cesspool of terrible player that will cry havok if they get called out on being bad (and the worst players of FFXIV puts the worse players of WoW to shame)
    Generally wipe tolerance in dungeons is higher because it can happen quickly if people fuck up, even if you are overgeared.

Worst thing are the FRENCH if you play EU. Not all of them, mind you, but many of them don't seem to understand the simplest English sentences.
    If you don't have a translator in your group and the french dude doesn't know the encounter ... you're basically screwed.

google translate is hit and miss in that case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That people still die to after 4 content patches later~.
    Titan or Ultima are always so much fun... <3

You can set up a gamble about how many stacks you need this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwill View Post
    Not to even mention the grind-a-palooza that is Gold Saucer and the fiasco of Triple Triad tournaments.

Don't drop your rose-tinted glasses though, you might see reality without them.
    Not liking a game from your personal experience is no need to be so condescending about it...

It was pretty neat. Having a main story to level with is great, and the dungeons/raids are fun. The long GCD is painful though. It may not sound like a problem, but you're playing 40% less game because of how slow it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    ha reminds me when I first encountered boob physics in this game XD I felt really immersed in the world at that moment
    Female Roegadyn with max boob slider doing the step-dance.

They could use those things as maces.