How can a hard drive affect game performance?

I have a dilemma: I replaced my hard drive recently, and for some reason Wow is running like shit on the new one - fps is terrible and the game constantly 'sputters' and does something I can only describe as graphical rubber banding. But my if I put my 10 year old drive back in, Wow plays perfectly....

I can find nothing wrong with the drive itself, and outside of games there's no problems at all. Both drives have the same content, the same version of windows 7 and the exact same settings.

Can a hard drive even normally impact performance like that? I don't see how the hard drive, especially a brand new modern one, could drag performance down so drastically.

What model is the new HDD?

How was Windows transferred to the new HDD?

I would check via a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo if the disk is failing.
    A "new" drive isn't prone to failing.
    Could just be horrible luck.

Also see if you can benchmark them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you perhaps buy a WD 'green' drive? They are made for file storage, and not performance.

A hard drive would affect load times, not "rubber banding" or porting if that is what you mean.

If this is the drive your OS and game is installed on odds are you changed game settings or drivers.

It's a 1TB Seagate Barracuda. The old one is an ancient 250GB Maxtor. The new one is technically superior in every way....

I've checked it with the Seatools program and it's apparently in perfect working order.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you do a reinstall of windows, or just clone the drive?

Both drives have a fresh install of Windows, with the Wow folder being copied onto both.

The drives have identical content, and identical settings.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any background processes going on... windows update, etc?

Are there any other HDD heavy applications you can use to try and replicate the issue with.
    Could see if it is some strange issue with just WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Both drives have a fresh install of Windows, with the Wow folder being copied onto both.

The drives have identical content, and identical settings.
    Reinstall wow , I had a similar problem when I coppied wow to my new ssd. It solved it right away, hope it helps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeusrules View Post
    Reinstall wow , I had a similar problem when I coppied wow to my new ssd. It solved it right away, hope it helps.
    Do this. Just by copying you could have messed up some stuff internally.

I've always copy/pasted my wowfolder, I think I've only ever installed it once across all different PCs I've had since wow was released. And I've had no problems with it. However, reinstalling it could be an easy fix and I recommend doing so as the others said. Just transfer your screenshots and addons afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could try deleting wtf and cache folders and running the repair tool before reinstalling the whole thing. Reinstalling seems pointless unless the data and executables were corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Reinstalling seems pointless unless the data and executables were corrupted.
    Something else was probably writing to the hard drive when the WoW folder was being copied, resulting in a ridiculously fragmented install.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Something else was probably writing to the hard drive when the WoW folder was being copied, resulting in a ridiculously fragmented install.
    Actually... I was copying several things at the same time, but to different partitions.