Thread: Digimon

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Digimon

Are there pokemon (gold) style digimon style games where you can collect and evolve them? Any other such games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Afaik there are, and they are still being made to this day, but they all seem to be in Japanese!

Had major nostalgia recently and started watching Digimon on Netflix... it's so awesome >.>
    The Old Republic - Coral - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
    - Aseko - Marauder // Akeso - Assassin -
    - Akkyvineus - Shadow // Aseka - Sentinel -
    Stream // Hybrid Sin - Dat Push! - Carnage Op - Failbang
    i7 5820k 3.6ghz | MSI X99S ACK | Potenza 16GB DDR4 | MSI GTX 980 | 512GB Crucial M2 SSD | NZXT Phantom 630 Black | 1000W Corsair RM

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akeso View Post
    Afaik there are, and they are still being made to this day, but they all seem to be in Japanese!

Had major nostalgia recently and started watching Digimon on Netflix... it's so awesome >.>
    Then you'll be happy about the original anime continuation. Digimon Adventures 3.0 :>

Imo, digimon > pokemon but why have so many team members just to have Graymon absorb them all?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Imo, digimon > pokemon but why have so many team members just to have Graymon absorb them all?
    I haven't watched digimon after Digimon Frontier so what now?

Deleted
    Digimon <3

You've Digimon for PSX, which you can easily play with an emulator, and I still do play it, even though I've the original one (but my PSX is kinda, well, old).
    You also have Digimon Re-Degitize, if I'm not mistaken, being translated by fans, and last time I checked, they were nearly done.

And yea, like it was said, a new Digimon series is coming in April, I believe, to celebrate the anniversary, and it's based around the first digidestined children.

There were 2-3 on the psx and which were actually pretty solid rpgs. A shame they stopped making/translating them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think digimon 2 was the only one that got me hooked (psx), the first one was meh, same as monster rancher... wished i loved that game more.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    There were 2-3 on the psx and which were actually pretty solid rpgs. A shame they stopped making/translating them.
    Were they catch/level or arena type?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Change into Digital Champions to save the Digital World! Digimon! Digital Monsters! Digimon are the Champions!

God I miss my old school D-3 Digivice. I was Such a nerd in Highschool but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Deleted
    Basically, at least on one of them, you had an egg, and according to which stats you trained him, as well as how well you treated him, he would develop into a certain digimon. That, and a whole world to conquer.

Here's some old guides I have on my bookmarks for Digimon World 1, for PSX, with the digimons you can have and the stats they need, and stuff like that.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/913684-di...orld/faqs/8324
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/913684-di...rld/faqs/64257
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/913684-di...orld/faqs/8635

Some values differ, but they're pretty much all around the same mark.

Deleted
    Were they catch/level or arena type?
    I only remember the first game. That one gives you one digimon, which you raise from a baby potentially up to ultimate. You only have the one to fight with, and it has a limited lifespan. When it dies, from old age or combat losses, you get a new baby and start over.

It has an arena minigame, but the main game is running around the world and inviting digimon to a city (by fighting them, beating them in minigames etc), which grows according to what you get. It's fun, though really easy once you figure out how to effectively raise your digimon and what skills to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielarath View Post
    I only remember the first game. That one gives you one digimon, which you raise from a baby potentially up to ultimate. You only have the one to fight with, and it has a limited lifespan. When it dies, from old age or combat losses, you get a new baby and start over.

It has an arena minigame, but the main game is running around the world and inviting digimon to a city (by fighting them, beating them in minigames etc), which grows according to what you get. It's fun, though really easy once you figure out how to effectively raise your digimon and what skills to use.
    Aach, I dislike do overs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Digimon World 3 was not that bad.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Digimon World 3 was not that bad.
    I liked that one the most, although you had to do some serious grinding to level your digimon up.
    The one where you build the city I personally didn't like. Constantly having to retrain your monsters was a pain. Also the german version was bugged so you couldn't get into machine city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsi View Post
    Then you'll be happy about the original anime continuation. Digimon Adventures 3.0 :>
    Ermagerd! I loved how the original cast still had a role to play in Adventure 02 - Digimon Adventures 3.0 is gonna be so awesome ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Ah dude, you should've continued to watch on for the next season: Digimon Data Squad! I have almost finished that, but man, Frontier felt like a let down, and Data Squad has pulled it back for me

Nothing will beat the original Digi-volution sounds and theme though
    The Old Republic - Coral - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
    - Aseko - Marauder // Akeso - Assassin -
    - Akkyvineus - Shadow // Aseka - Sentinel -
    Stream // Hybrid Sin - Dat Push! - Carnage Op - Failbang
    i7 5820k 3.6ghz | MSI X99S ACK | Potenza 16GB DDR4 | MSI GTX 980 | 512GB Crucial M2 SSD | NZXT Phantom 630 Black | 1000W Corsair RM

If you're looking for something akin to Pokémon, Digimon World 2 is the closest. It's an RPG where you can capture Digimon, use them for battle, and decide the digivolution line you want your Digimon to follow by meeting certain criteria. The only problem is that it's incredibly grindy, you basically have to dedigivolve to be able to reach higher stages, and while dedigivolving allows your Digimon to get stronger than before it also returns it back to level 1, which is means you'll have to return to low-level zones and start grinding. In battle you always have three Digimon out though, which I think is really neat, it adds quite a lot of depth.

Digimon World DS is more or less the same, except the dedigivolve thing is far from as harsh. Unfortunately they decided to make it much more JRPG-esque, which means you won't actually be able to see your Digimon during battle. I think overall it's better than Digimon World 2 though, it has many more Digimon and lots of great digivolution-lines to pursue. It also gives you the option to train your Digimon in certain stats, which gives it some neat depth. There are supposedly a set of sequels to this game, and even if I never really tried them I've heard they should be even better.

Digimon World 3 is another option, its story is a lot better than the other two games' and it doesn't feature the whole dedigivolve gimmick, but unfortunately it doesn't allow you to go out and catch Digimon, you pick a pack of Digimon at the start of the game and you'll be stuck with those for the rest of the game (unless you manage to acquire Veemon.) However, contrary to the other two games it does feature an open-world like Pokémon does, which makes it very enjoyable to go through, unfortunately it does get rid of the 3-vs-3 battle system and opts for a 1-on-1 style gameplay like Pokémon, which is a big of a step-down imo. Still, out of the RPGs I think it's ultimately the best game.

Most other Digimon games are either fighting games or pet simulators. My personal favorite is Digimon World 1, which is the latter of those genres. It's nowhere near similar to Pokémon, but I guess that's what I like about it, it's a very unique game. You basically have to take care of your Digimon, you have to feed it, bring it to a toilet when it has to shit, rest it when it's tired, etc, but you also get to train it, and ultimately the choices you made while raising it will determine what Digimon it digivolves to. You can then take it out to fight and complete the main story or do side-things like the Arena. The fighting gameplay is not RPG-style though, you basically give your Digimon commands from the sideline and it'll act accordingly, in short it's basically as if you were to be a Pokémon Trainer in real-life, you don't get to stop and think about what to do, and your Digimon will act on its own based on the commands you give it.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2015-03-06 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Digimon World DS is more or less the same, except the dedigivolve thing is far from as harsh. Unfortunately they decided to make it much more JRPG-esque, which means you won't actually be able to see your Digimon during battle. I think overall it's better than Digimon World 2 though, it has many more Digimon and lots of great digivolution-lines to pursue. It also gives you the option to train your Digimon in certain stats, which gives it some neat depth. There are supposedly a set of sequels to this game, and even if I never really tried them I've heard they should be even better.
    So the ui is like phantasy star 4?

Deleted

Cool

Now this is a thread I did not expect to see here!

If anyone is still interested in Digimon games, I highly advise you to sign this petition!
    https://www.change.org/p/bandai-namco-games-europe-america-localize-digimon-games-again-e-g-digimon-world-re-digitize-decode-for-3ds-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-for-psvita
    It's a campaign to show our interest in Digimon games, and we have Bandai-Namco's attention.

I did enjoy Digimon World Dawn (& Dusk, but I didn't complete it). I think you might like these two. They are for the DS and the last of their series of Digimon Story that we've seen in English so far. You catch Digimon by fighting them and collecting information about them until you can hatch an egg. Digimon eventually reach a level cap (Aptitude) and need "de-digivolved", which makes them stronger and unlocks different paths. You can also leave them in the farm and train them that way but it's far slower. You'll need to play them to get a better understanding.
    Cyber Sleuth supposedly is part of this series and uses similar mechanics.
    Take a look!

I also enjoyed Digimon World 3 (Long game if you make it so, I had around 90 hours in this game) and Digimon World 2 (somewhat grindy dungeon crawler 3v3 battles, easily over 60 hours long)

There's also a translation project for Re-digitize found here: digimonworldre.wordpress.com Supposedly it's nearly done, but it could take a while as testing keeps throwing curveballs.

(Mods, if you don't like the petition to bandai, feel free to remove, or ask me to remove it)

So the ui is like phantasy star 4?
    Judging from what Google brings up regarding Phantasy Star 4, yes, the battle screen is very identical. This is what it looks like.