Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Possible the AIO was DoA or not mounted right? or something /shrug.
    Aside from custom loops, liquid AIO I'd go with this.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-cpu-cooler-rlkrx3101

You can go with a simple 2x4GB or 2x8GB. If you plan on using your existing one, make sure they're the same MHz and CAS Latency.
    Did forget to mention - while I had the Kuhler H2O 620 (not the Corsair series, sorry), I had to keep the side of the case off because else things wouldn't fit (radiator was too big/wide/tall whatever).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... make sure there's a place you can stick the radiator first, haha.

Final product.... in the end, only cost ~$860, which I don't think is all that bad..

http://puu.sh/gYszW/c9d6f930dc.jpg
    http://puu.sh/gYsuX/dda94b634d.jpg
    http://puu.sh/gYsEE/cae10babf4.jpg

Damn, such large resolution, sorry...

Specs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.78 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Adorama)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
    Other: LG 8x Ultra Slim External DVD Writer ($24.99)
    Total: $873.56

Deleted
    You picked up the i5 4690k which can be overclocked but the mobo hasn't got the ability to do it cause its H97 and not Z97.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    You picked up the i5 4690k which can be overclocked but the mobo hasn't got the ability to do it cause its H97 and not Z97.
    Well I doubt OP's parents are going to OC it so it should have been a locked cpu to being with but its usually only $10 more so not the biggest loss ever.

What really worries me is the CX psu hopefully its not a dud. Should have taken Remilias advice.

Not wise to risk ~$800 worth of components to save $20-30 on a PSU =/
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Everything works fine; My mother doesn't care so much about overclocking but wanted something that is great in performance and life without upgrading as frequent as you would with something cheaper.

The PSU so far hasnt' had any problems, granted it's day 2. 30 day Shop warranty + manufacture warranty. If there's still bad reviews and ppl recommend to swap, I can do that without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishida View Post
    Everything works fine; My mother doesn't care so much about overclocking but wanted something that is great in performance and life without upgrading as frequent as you would with something cheaper.

The PSU so far hasnt' had any problems, granted it's day 2. 30 day Shop warranty + manufacture warranty. If there's still bad reviews and ppl recommend to swap, I can do that without any problem.
    There have been bad reviews on that PSU for years. It's not the first 30-days you are worried about. The issue with that line of PSUs is that they use a cheap OEM that uses cheap capacitors and have poor QA. Within a couple years those capacitors will likely be bulging and going out. When the PSU goes there is a chance, albeit a kinda small one, that it could take out your other components with it. Do yourself a favor and swap it out for a good quality one now.

I didn't see any XFX PSUs in the microcenter (prefer to get all supplies in the store since they are willing to price match Newegg, Tiger Direct, and local retailers). Based on current stock, anything else to recommend? Make any swaps.... besides psu

- - - Updated - - -

Off subject of this build... any good opinions on the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboards?

I didn't see any XFX PSUs in the microcenter (prefer to get all supplies in the store since they are willing to price match Newegg, Tiger Direct, and local retailers). Based on current stock, anything else to recommend? Make any swaps.... besides psu

- - - Updated - - -

Off subject of this build... any good opinions on the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboards?
    Yeah, don't get MSI. Go for Gigabyte, ASUS or ASRock.

Ahhh, ok... I kept reading how MSI is improving their motherboards and are somewhat comparable to gigabyte and asus now then they were before....

Ahhh, ok... I kept reading how MSI is improving their motherboards and are somewhat comparable to gigabyte and asus now then they were before....
    Yeah, improving and somewhat being the operative words. I'd rather go with who I already know has good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    There have been bad reviews on that PSU for years. It's not the first 30-days you are worried about. The issue with that line of PSUs is that they use a cheap OEM that uses cheap capacitors and have poor QA. Within a couple years those capacitors will likely be bulging and going out. When the PSU goes there is a chance, albeit a kinda small one, that it could take out your other components with it. Do yourself a favor and swap it out for a good quality one now.
    Actually the CX430 has 4 revisions so the CX430M has not been around that long. The first two (now discontinued of course) had pretty good reviews actually.

Forget the first 30 days getting them to power on can be an issue. Chazus received 3 in a row DOA if i recall correctly.

Funny enough the CX400 was a seasonic OEM but of course its now discontinued

@OP If you have to buy from microcenter lookup reviews before buy . Remember getting exact model and part numbers is important. Companies discontinue units and put out new ones with the same name with very different build qualities under the hood (i.e. CX 430). The only real way to tell them apart is by the model number.

edit for clarity: The model number is that small string of numbers and/or letters you find on the back or side of the box.

For example you should see: 75-002016 / CP-9020058 , somewhere on the CX430M box. If you look at the review database I linked you can find model numbers listed there aswell to compare on the box to ensure you are getting the correct PSU
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2015-04-03 at 01:09 PM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |