Budget Build for a Beginner. Overwhelmed by Choices.

Hello!

Budget: $500
    Games: WoW, LoL, Garry's Mod, The Sims 3/4, and anything else my nephew wants me to play with him.
    I'm just a half-student with a lot of health problems that keep me home.
    Peripherals Needed: Monitor, speakers, headset w/mic. I'll eventually need to upgrade cheap keyboard/mouse.
    No parts to reuse/upgrade.
    No OS needed.

I have a brain injury, so I prioritize lower noise/vibration, and a case with no indicator lights means less things I have to tape over. I can't deal with computer stalling, slowing unnecessarily. I need things to work quick while I have energy to get work done.

Also, are certain monitors better for the eyes to reduce headaches? I already use polarized glasses.

Does it make sense to wait around for sales or such to maximize budget efficiency/performance?

Also, as a total beginner, the goal being to teach my nephew how to build computers, and then build one for him, the step by step instructions are doable, and I have all the time in the world.

After spending hours attempting a part-picker list, my selections are RNG. I plead for the help of more educated and less banged-up minds. Thank you so much for the help.

P.S. Also, I can tack on a bit more dough next month, if the little budget difference will make a big overall satisfaction difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going to point out, that $500 is not going to cover any of that. The peripherals itself is going to be $150 for the cheapest of em all. Wanting a monitor that has a reduce of eye strain is also going to cost more. You'd be looking at a flicker free monitor with low blue light mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm just going to point out, that $500 is not going to cover any of that. The peripherals itself is going to be $150 for the cheapest of em all. Wanting a monitor that has a reduce of eye strain is also going to cost more. You'd be looking at a flicker free monitor with low blue light mode.
    Boom

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.85 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: GeIL EVO Leggara Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($51.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($131.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($8.99 @ NCIX US)
    Headphones: Rosewill RH-001 Headset ($6.99 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Logitech S120 2.3W 2ch Speakers ($7.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $535.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-05 17:56 EST-0500

Also OP here is a 2 part how to build a PC guide from newegg:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAdwedmj1M

Post if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2015-03-05 at 11:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't get what hes asking for with a $500 set up. Can you get a set up, sure but not what hes asking for.

Low noise / vibration set up. You'd need to replace the stock cooler and the PSU as they're not exactly silent friendly at load.
    PSU: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/...upply_review/6
    HDD: It's an hdd, the whir is there and at 7200RPM vs 5400RPM is going to produce noticeable sound especially without noise canceling padding.
    Monitor, a flicker free low blue light mode monitor, probably only the newest generation of monitors from BenQ would have that at lower cost. Hes using polarized glasses, those really derpy looking one which is a blue light filter.

Eh i read his post remilia, i dont feel a standard 7200 RPM HDD or a CPU fan is going to be that bothersome for them. As for the monitor deal ive never heard of that blue light thing you speak of, but something they can look into (but obviously gonna be more expensive).

This PC would be absolutely whisper quiet, the stock cooler on the g3258 will not spin up like one if it was on an i7. The evga fan in the PSU is also super quiet, ive read the reviews and seen builds with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Essentially because of the backlight of an LED monitor, W-LED is actually a blue light with yellow phosphors, what occurs is a high blue light spike in the color spectrum. What low blue light mode does is surpress this to a more comfortable state.

To someone who has a head injury, it is very possible to become more sensitive to noise and such. Having those components are very much going to be louder to them. Hell I find the faintest noise but this'll depend person to person.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-03-05 at 11:27 PM.

Yes, I'm ignorant and new. I apologize. I really, really appreciate the feedback.
    Thanks Fascinate and Remilia.
    Remilia, what budget is needed for an ideal setup?

If nothing else the zero flicker low blue light tech is worth the extra money. I can get noise cancelling headphones at a later date.
    http://shop.benq.us/gw2265hm.html - is that the right idea?

The glasses are derpy red alright. Nerdy girls expect lasers out of your eyes, but like the cyclops look and at least I got me a few dates.
    Last edited by inf0wrs1; 2015-03-06 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes that'd the right idea for the monitor. In terms of BenQ, their "RevolutionEyes" that they coined a few months ago, monitors with that weirdo name have low blue light and flicker free. In general most of their new monitors have those.

If you're going to get noise canceling headphones, then it may not be needed to go full quiet rig. A lot of quiet rigs cost a lot due to the need of specific components.
    Most notably is the PSU, GPU, Case, CPU cooler and HDD.
    CPU cooler you can get a quiet one easily for about $35, Be Quiet Pure Rock.
    Case you should be able to get an Fractal Design Define R4 for $70-80. Essentially something with dense sound dampening materials on the case walls.
    PSU you'd be looking at either a semi-passive fan or a fanless all together. Semi-passive you can find a 550W XFX XTR for $80. Fanless you'd be looking at a SeaSonic FL2 Platinum for about $115.
    GPU you'd be looking for a semi-passive one. I think the 750Ti has a few like the ASUS Strix so it's not super expensive, $150 I believe.
    HDD you'd be looking at something like WD Green at 5400RPM. Of course this'll affect quite a bit in terms of loading times, boot and such. The other choice for absolutely no silence is an SSD since it has no moving parts it'd make no mechanical noises. It'll perform insanely better than an HDD, but the issue with SSD is they're expensive per GB in comparison to HDDs.

Low end products don't really account for noise cause it'd be expensive, >.>

Stupid question: Do I need a cooler for the build by Fascinate?

The CPU comes with a stock cooler. Using programs such as SpeedFan and MSI Afterburner you can reduce the RPMs of your fans to something that works for you. If the stock CPU cooler is still too loud you might need to go for some aftermarket cooling, but it's not something you have to commit to right away. I'd recommend just building it with the stock cooler to start out with, adjusting the fan speeds, and if you want to make a change later you can do that at anytime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inf0wrs1 View Post
    Stupid question: Do I need a cooler for the build by Fascinate?
    Stock cooler comes with the cpu. It's relatively quiet during idle and not so intense tasks, however when under load it does become quite audible.
    Since it was never explained, the idea behind the cpu set up is to overclock it. Without doing so it is a very lackluster cpu. Di note since it is dual core no hyperthread it'll not work so well in multicore applications and suffer in multitasking.

So if I plan to overclock I'll need to put in a CPU cooling system otherwise the temps run high and it'll suffer more than usual if I've got multiple programs running?
    I mean for $49 at ncixus for microcenter price match, seems like g3258 is value.
    But I'm learning on the fly.
    Again, thank you so much for the help.

budget list:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($131.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($130.00)
    Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $565.73 (minus $20 ncix coupon, 545.73)
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-08 15:15 EDT-0400

Ideal for noise and migraine headaches:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($278.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $799.75 (minus $20 benq coupon, $20 ncix coupon, $759.99)
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-08 15:20 EDT-0400

Am I in the right ballpark?

10+ Year Old Account
    More or less, yes.
    You don't have to go with an XL2411Z as it is a lot more expensive. It is a decent monitor for all intents and purposes just if you want to save money.
    Also the 1TB HDD is cheaper the same price as the 500GB, I do not know why.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western...drive-wd10ezrx

Didn't noticed at first, but the G3258 can only support up to 1333MHz RAM. Technically anything above 1600MHz RAM is considered overclock and requires a board that supports XMP. H81 / H97 / B85 chipsets to begin with shouldn't support this and Intel pretty much forced patch the boards that had this feature when it was known. Exceptions were made for the G3258 which is why some non overclock boards can overclock with that CPU.

For a non overclock set up and has a better multi-task performance due to having hyper threading you can go with something like this.
    It won't have the better single thread potential as an overclocked G3258 but it is a lot less of a hassle.
    It has an SSD as opposed to an HDD. It is notably more expensive but it won't make any noise. However you do have only 256GBs of storage. Otherwise just switch to the aforementioned HDD. With the coupon you mentioned it'd be around $800.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.69 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.97 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($139.93 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $830.49
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 04:20 EDT-0400

If you have issues with headaches and sensitive to light, then you should look into PC/Gaming Glasses. They are quite costly, so you can buy them later if you feel it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    If you have issues with headaches and sensitive to light, then you should look into PC/Gaming Glasses. They are quite costly, so you can buy them later if you feel it is necessary.
    They are not that costly if you don't go for the expensive brand name ones. Look here:
    http://www.konceptsafety.com/display...x=0&search.y=0

I mean seriously, all they are is amber colored lenses with an anti-reflective coating. Amber lenses have been used long before people got headaches from staring at monitors. Halide bulbs, which were popular in factories prior to fluorescent lighting, also output harmful blue light that causes headaches in many people. Amber lenses filter that blue light and reduce strain on the eyes. You can get pair of plain safety glasses with amber lenses for under 5 bucks, easily. Just look at your local safety supply house. The ones that some companies like Gunnar sell specifically as gaming glasses are pretty much the same thing just with an anti-reflective coating, like the ones above. The ones I linked also have the anti-reflective coating, but are not near the price of some of those marketed at gamers. Plenty of those gaming glasses, like other gaming products, are merely being marked up due to the fact that they are targetted at gamers and it is known gamers will spend money on unnecessary shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    He/she has one.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($54.99)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($38.12)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($60.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.03)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($130.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.99)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.19 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $527.27
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-16 17:15 EDT-0400

Question about RAM:
    Kingston says their hyper fury series is compatible with the 1333 speeds, and automatically sets it without bios, and is compatible with the motherboard.

Is it still better to go with a different option?

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($63.87 @ OutletPC)

And with glasses, I use an FL-41 Tinting, from http://healthcare.utah.edu/moran/patient_care/fl_41.php

"Fl-41 is a rose colored filter that we have found to be useful in patients with migraine headaches, blepharospasm, and other light-sensitive conditions. FL-41 was first described in a research project that took place in Birmingham, England. In this study, children with migraine headaches wore FL-41 filtered spectacles. The researchers found that wearing FL-41 improved the light sensitivity in these children and also the frequency and severity of their migraine headaches."

They range from pink to dark red (which I use), and you look like Scott Summers. This makes the fluorescent lights, especially, far more bearable.

Also, thank you so much for helping me get focused and researching.

So I bought all the components, and got a bad Mobo, which I shipped for a refund, MSI sucks.

Any suggestions for a better brand motherboard for this build that'll work with the 430w power supply and g3258?

Deleted

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($58.97 @ Newegg)
    Total: $58.97
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-24 20:29 EDT-0400

note: voltage limited to 1.2v by gigabyte
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-03-25 at 12:29 AM.