Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    OQ had a number of features still missing in blizzard's version. I could write a long list (and I did at one point, in the wowace forums) but the biggest missing feature for me is the ability to browse other premades while in a group.

OQ was absolutely amazing in MoP. It definitely kept me playing. It was constantly frustrating, and annoying as hell, and had tons of problems, and I essentially agreed with all of Chaud's criticisms. But none of that mattered because it satisfied a real need. OQ was indispensable.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2015-03-19 at 07:17 PM.

I started to use it in the middle of MoP and it was way better than any other LFG tool out there. Even if you compare old oQueue to todays ingame LFG tool, oQueue was way better. In MoP I was playing on a basically dead server and this addon made group finding so much easier.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    The new in game blizzard LFG is actually extremely good
    Not if you play on the EU realms, it's not.

I play on a French server and oqueue allowed me to play with people from all across Europe, The LFG tool restricts my searches to French servers. I don't like that: those a small fraction of all EU servers and it's been considerably harder finding a group than it was with oqueue.

I also find the interface a little bit limited and awkward to use. It's true that they came up with nifty features, but when all is said and done I could get a lot more done with oqueue.

In fact, the only thing I did not like with oqueue was the message spamming (and maybe the fact that, like a lot of other addons, it required updates from time to time, but that's not an oqueue-specific peeve)

Quote Originally Posted by tinystomper View Post
    oh?

we responded to requests and worked to find a solution. the result is a real-time group-finder without realm restrictions. we've also added the ability to see all group members and their stats before wait listing, which will help you avoid carry groups. we're also going to bring back the karma system, with a few tweaks, to give some insight into the player's general in-game behavior. improvements and additions will be driven by the community as requests come in.

http://solidice.com/group-finder

I'll give that a shot, thanks for the update!
    Last edited by stym; 2015-03-19 at 07:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, as a reminder, please refrain from being insulting or hostile. Constructive criticism and thoughtful opinions are always welcome, but being rude is not. Thanks.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Hey Tiny,

I'm the lead administrator over CurseForge so I wanted to look into this issue for you some more.

the 'issue' was started by chad, a blogger on mmoc, a curse affiliate.

http://i.imgur.com/PnVewGB.png
    that was the only correspondence between chad and myself before his reddit rant on how bad i am and how horrible oQueue was. in october, chad started his second rant about the send beer button, a button that had been in oQueue since the beginning with the intention of helping to pay for the servers. 4 days later, curse put oQueue into moderation, delisting it. all this because oQueue had a link to a page that was not a curse link.
    It's our policy to enforce the Blizzard UI terms. We find this best for the community overall.

In your case the last action that occurred was to mark the project as changes required because of the donation link. You chose not to address the issue, but it would have been re-listed as soon as you posted a compliant version. You chose to take it to SolidIce instead, and that's your prerogative.

http://i.imgur.com/gtqPDpd.png
    do other addons have links in-game to their curse page w/ donate buttons? yes they do. why aren't they delisted? hmmm....
    As far as other mods having donation links inside of them, it's possible. We don't install and run each and every mod. If you know of any please let us know and we'll investigate those as well.

after a year on curse, and millions of downloads, we received a grand total of $500. this did not cover the accounts or server costs, never mind the time spent developing, testing, and supporting users (please show me another addon that did that for free).
    I double checked, it was 1.6 million downloads over 9 months. The top addons in WoW receive 1-2m downloads a month.

As far as the rewards program as a whole, we just hit $1.7 million over the last... what's it been... 6 years? Our monthly average is something like $30k-$35k given back. Top authors have paid rent, their bills, or taken international trips by the program. I'm sorry you feel like you weren't given your fair share.

if you guys want to label someone scummy, you should really take a look at curse and how little addon devs get from the revenue stream. a revenue stream that comes largely from users looking for addons.
    I'm more than happy to talk to people about the revenue share we do with authors. Let me know if there's been other questions.

Something tells me that the OP might be someone from oqueu :P and its trying to get people to re-use the addon cause the donations are running out ^^ anyway if i had to compare the addon with the LFG tool id say they are both equal , both could trap you in bad groups and both can get into great groups , addons and UIs dont make the group good , the people do so till an addon that measures skills IQ and patience comes around id say they are both equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelten View Post
    It's our policy to enforce the Blizzard UI terms. We find this best for the community overall.
    understandable

In your case the last action that occurred was to mark the project as changes required because of the donation link. You chose not to address the issue, but it would have been re-listed as soon as you posted a compliant version. You chose to take it to SolidIce instead, and that's your prerogative.
    the link in question was found under a 'send beer' button that, after copy/paste, led to a page... on which was a donation button.

this would be EXACTLY the same as a link to a curse project page, on which the user would find the bright orange DONATE button.

As far as other mods having donation links inside of them, it's possible. We don't install and run each and every mod. If you know of any please let us know and we'll investigate those as well.
    dbm use to pop their link whenever your version is out of date. they had a donate button on that page. i believe decursive as a link to their site, i haven't checked for a donation button. (i run very few addons)

I double checked, it was 1.6 million downloads over 9 months. The top addons in WoW receive 1-2m downloads a month.
    i was going to list the number of addons with more then 500k/mon downloads... but many of the monthly numbers seem to all be 0 at the moment. looks like roughly 17 have more then 500k downloads. 5-10 have 1m+. that's very few out of 3500+.

oQueue had about 350k/mon 6 months after release, but then the monthly download numbers stopped updating. that continued from june to august and some devs made note of it on the forums. the forums were then shutdown and any such comments were taken to private.

i know oQueues download numbers as the scorekeeper would be pinged whenever someone had a new version and were ready to participate in the mesh. curse would report a static 180k(ish) during the same time (the only site i listed oQueue on besides solidice was curse)

btw... if it was 1.6m and you pay out $100 per 200k dnloads, i believe curse owes me a few hundred bucks
    (no, i'm not trying to get it, just pointing it out)

As far as the rewards program as a whole, we just hit $1.7 million over the last... what's it been... 6 years? Our monthly average is something like $30k-$35k given back. Top authors have paid rent, their bills, or taken international trips by the program. I'm sorry you feel like you weren't given your fair share.
    $1.7m over 6 years. that's an average of $23,611 per month 'given back'... but out of how much?

curse boasts 30m monthly unique users pushing 1bn pageviews, or about 30 views per month per user.

curse is ranked 2927 globally and 1668 in the US by alexa. as such, curse would easily command more then $2 RPM (revenue per thousand page views)... some speculate much higher. but let's go with $2 RPM.

$2 RPM on 1bn pageviews/month would net the company $2m/month ... of which, it graciously 'gives back' roughly 1% to the addon devs producing the product the users are looking for.

i, for one, do not see that anywhere close to fair.

I'm more than happy to talk to people about the revenue share we do with authors. Let me know if there's been other questions.

understandable

the link in question was found under a 'send beer' button that, after copy/paste, led to a page... on which was a donation button.

this would be EXACTLY the same as a link to a curse project page, on which the user would find the bright orange DONATE button.

dbm use to pop their link whenever your version is out of date. they had a donate button on that page. i believe decursive as a link to their site, i haven't checked for a donation button. (i run very few addons)
    Linking to a website is fine. The connotation of the link is the problem. "Send Beer" has a connotation of solicitation.

i was going to list the number of addons with more then 500k/mon downloads... but many of the monthly numbers seem to all be 0 at the moment. looks like roughly 17 have more then 500k downloads. 5-10 have 1m+. that's very few out of 3500+.

oQueue had about 350k/mon 6 months after release, but then the monthly download numbers stopped updating. that continued from june to august and some devs made note of it on the forums. the forums were then shutdown and any such comments were taken to private.
    Download counts are not a good raw indicator of how many points people will generate. This is done because download counts are _very_ easy to manipulate by themselves. So there's a lot of other factors worked together to make it make less exploitable. A better way to think of it is how many people use your addon in a six month window.

i know oQueues download numbers as the scorekeeper would be pinged whenever someone had a new version and were ready to participate in the mesh. curse would report a static 180k(ish) during the same time (the only site i listed oQueue on besides solidice was curse)

btw... if it was 1.6m and you pay out $100 per 200k dnloads, i believe curse owes me a few hundred bucks
    (no, i'm not trying to get it, just pointing it out)

$1.7m over 6 years. that's an average of $23,611 per month 'given back'... but out of how much?

curse boasts 30m monthly unique users pushing 1bn pageviews, or about 30 views per month per user.

curse is ranked 2927 globally and 1668 in the US by alexa. as such, curse would easily command more then $2 RPM (revenue per thousand page views)... some speculate much higher. but let's go with $2 RPM.

$2 RPM on 1bn pageviews/month would net the company $2m/month ... of which, it graciously 'gives back' roughly 1% to the addon devs producing the product the users are looking for.

i, for one, do not see that anywhere close to fair.
    You're lumping in a lot of traffic and sites that have zero to do with WoW and Addons in your numbers there. We do do about 1-1.2bn page views a month, but WoW accounts for a very small portion of that, and addons for even a smaller portion. Most Addon traffic is through the client, which has only one ad, and due to security concerns is most often at an internal upsale and then not really revenue generating at all. In a future release of the Client, that ad unit will be going away entirely. Premium revenues was the largest historic contributor to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge78 View Post
    (and of course, have mandatory daily upgrades)
    FTFY /10char
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Linking to a website is fine. The connotation of the link is the problem. "Send Beer" has a connotation of solicitation.
    Not to pick sides, but....

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.
    (source)

"Send Beer", while it is a connotation of solicitation, is not a direct request for a donation if you take policy to the letter does not include connotations of donation solicitation - only direct ones. (conjunction junction, what's your function?)

If that button was like a "Visit our website" link, i'd imagine that would've made everyone happy, but "Send Beer" with a paypal-ish style button (which is probably what is actually a connotation of solicitation, and not the content of the button in and of itself) is not really analogous to a "donate" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    but the biggest missing feature for me is the ability to browse other premades while in a group.
    I wouldn't mind if Blizzard completely axed this ability from the UI so it's not even available to addon developers. That makes the 1-wipe leaving even more rampant than it already is.
    One Sweet Dream

It's not available now, so you're in luck. Or at least I haven't been able to find an addon to do it.

Deleted
    oQueue - the bloated addon which barely worked and was full of russians and elitist dickwads. What a tragedy that it is now gone.

What exactly are you missing it for?

10+ Year Old Account
    i liked OQueue but no reason to use it now. blizzard's queue finder does exactly what i need it to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    You dont like/needed the addon = The addon is shyt for everyone.

Sick bait mate
    Well it was coded like babby's first addon, much like GearScore was. I don't understand how they become so popular. Both had horrible UI design and plenty of features which were in no way related to the addon's original purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    i liked OQueue but no reason to use it now. blizzard's queue finder does exactly what i need it to.
    This is it pretty much for me too. I found (at least at the time) oQueue to have too much of a footprint and in general did not work very well for me. To be fair, it's a god damn miracle it even worked given the (lack of) API support to begin with so don't take that as an insult please.

@tiny, I'm not sure why the hate circle jerk crowd came around, but I for one thank you for your add-on which is free and did at least get me the occasional xrealm group.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Not to pick sides, but....

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
    Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.
    (source)

"Send Beer", while it is a connotation of solicitation, is not a direct request for a donation if you take policy to the letter does not include connotations of donation solicitation - only direct ones. (conjunction junction, what's your function?)

If that button was like a "Visit our website" link, i'd imagine that would've made everyone happy, but "Send Beer" with a paypal-ish style button (which is probably what is actually a connotation of solicitation, and not the content of the button in and of itself) is not really analogous to a "donate" button.
    "Send Beer" is absolutely a solicitation for a donation, just one of beer and not cash. You're trying to nitpick it. "Visit our website" would have been absolutely fine.

loved oqueue, it had some issues but it absolutely saved WoW for me late MoP when I was stuck on a shithole server. blizzards group finder does the job but is kinda half-assed tbh, I expected more from it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Well it was coded like babby's first addon, much like GearScore was. I don't understand how they become so popular. Both had horrible UI design and plenty of features which were in no way related to the addon's original purpose.
    Most of the problems you experienced was because Oqueue was exploiting the messaging section of the real id system. The system wasn't 100% reliable so data was lost in transmission a lot. It also wasn't mean to be used in the way Oqueue did. That's also one of the reasons Blizzard crippled the functionality in the 6.02 pre-patch.

For what they had to work with it worked amazing but that doesn't mean oqueue was great! It filled such a huge necessity that it caught Blizzard's attention and they wrote the group finder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolaan View Post
    "Send Beer" is absolutely a solicitation for a donation, just one of beer and not cash. You're trying to nitpick it. "Visit our website" would have been absolutely fine.
    It's up to Blizzard to determine what breaks their rules. Not the community. Blizzard did nothing about it and openly praised Oqueue and Openraid at the time. So I'd say they "approved" it. This whole policy was written in reaction to mods like Carbonite who started charging real money for premium versions of their addons.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

yes I wish Oqueue was around also it's how I completed all CM'S on 4 characters , and I don't trust the LFG tool cause it doesn't show the experience like Oqueue. (how many golds / silvers / bronze a person has.)
    Last edited by Unclekreepy; 2015-03-20 at 09:53 PM.