Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the law works in a way that they can't deny any form of currency to pay a debt. So if you went to a fancy restaurant and wanted to pay the bill with pennies they would have to take it, but if you try to buy McDonald's with pennies they can refuse it because you haven't already received the product/service. I may be talking out of my ass here, but that was how it was explained to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I believe the law works in a way that they can't deny any form of currency to pay a debt. So if you went to a fancy restaurant and wanted to pay the bill with pennies they would have to take it, but if you try to buy McDonald's with pennies they can refuse it because you haven't already received the product/service. I may be talking out of my ass here, but that was how it was explained to me.
    I know the local stores here all refuse pennies or rolls of pennies for service/goods.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I know the local stores here all refuse pennies or rolls of pennies for service/goods.
    That's cuz a debt isn't incurred. The line on currency is "this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." Like I said, I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    That's cuz a debt isn't incurred. The line on currency is "this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." Like I said, I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.
    I can refuse a roll of pennies as payment for a debt incurred. http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp

There is, however, no Federal law mandating that a person or organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Stores can't deny legal tender because they don't want to accept it. They can in California but that's the only state I know of that allows this.
    The only reason I can imagine for that is because they don't want people paying for things with 3,000 pennies in a sparkletts jar.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The only reason I can imagine for that is because they don't want people paying for things with 3,000 pennies in a sparkletts jar.
    The thing you quoted is flat out wrong. Anywhere in the US, I could open a store and have a sign that says "No bills over $20." Or, conversely, "Fuck your pennies, not taking them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The thing you quoted is flat out wrong. Anywhere in the US, I could open a store and have a sign that says "No bills over $20." Or, conversely, "Fuck your pennies, not taking them."
    That is basically what the local liquor store's sign says :P
    You're a towel.

I normally get 50 cent pieces when the bank has then and spend them, I got $1000 in 50cent pieces in one trip once, all still boxed and rolled.

I do not like the gold colored dollars. The old Eisenhower coins, that was worthy of a dollar coin

15+ Year Old Account
    No private store is "required" to take any form of currency as payment.

However, debts to the government can be settled with any legal tender and they cannot refuse it.

I think that's where the confusion comes from.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't people fucking read at least the first page before they feel the need to post something......
    NO! No one is required by law to accept cash money.
    Free market... Every business has the right to set the terms of what payment types they accept. Cash, Card, Check..
    Entirely at the discretion of the business.
    The outlier can be state laws that overrule that principle.
    And that was already linked... It's not that the thread has 100 pages and it could be buried.. It's on the first page of two.... lol

Otherwise.... I always have cash on me.. Bills and coins.
    Gas stations are always thankful to get some coins. They're always short on change.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Why don't people fucking read at least the first page before they feel the need to post something......
    NO! No one is required by law to accept cash money.
    Free market... Every business has the right to set the terms of what payment types they accept. Cash, Card, Check..
    Entirely at the discretion of the business.
    The outlier can be state laws that overrule that principle.
    And that was already linked... It's not that the thread has 100 pages and it could be buried.. It's on the first page of two.... lol

Otherwise.... I always have cash on me.. Bills and coins.
    Gas stations are always thankful to get some coins. They're always short on change.
    The only exception to this (I think) is government facilities, like courts and DMV. I have paid for parking tickets with change.

Should be able to. It's legal tender.

Although any store can set their own policy. Then there are basic logistics. Example: don't be the jackass that shows up for the early show at the movie theater and pays for one ticket with a $100.
    A store can't set a policy that denies legal tender.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    A store can't set a policy that denies legal tender.
    Yes, they can.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

A private business can be 100% cash or 100% credit/debit if they want. They can also say they only accept $5 bills. Unless there is a state law, but that varies by state.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Yes, they can.
    It differs from state to state, as the states can dictate what's acceptable. So were both right.

10+ Year Old Account
    It differs from state to state, as the states can dictate what's acceptable. So were both right.
    You were perpetuating a myth. I can't name a single state with laws mandating all legal tender must be accepted. And I have been to most of them. They can have laws since the Fed doesn't, but the vast majority don't.

You were perpetuating a myth. I can't name a single state with laws mandating all legal tender must be accepted. And I have been to most of them. They can have laws since the Fed doesn't, but the vast majority don't.
    Can't we both just be right and hug it out bro?

Can't we both just be right and hug it out bro?
    It's all good. I have a couple cases of beer we can drink together. I only accept brown M&M's as payment.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all good. I have a couple cases of beer we can drink together. I only accept brown M&M's as payment.
    You and David Lee Roth would never get along.

You and David Lee Roth would never get along.
    I know, right? I should have reconsidered my currency options...

Actually you can not deny someone services based on the type of money that you are paying with. While they may or may not be allowed to deny certain types of currency, you are still denying services.

Every business has the right to deny service. HOWEVER, it MUST be done the second you walk in the door, and can not be done afterwards. If you have already come into the store, selected your profit and it has been rung up, they can't do anything, because you are violating the previously mentioned law.