Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Do you think racism in European guilds is acceptable?

Okay so I've been in about 7/6 guilds in my raiding career in WoW and something that has always, always bothered me was how much racism goes in the serious/semi-serious previously heroic/now mythic guilds I've graced. From hearing people call each other the N word for laughs to blatant racism of calling someone black as an insult or using offensive black stereotypes as a punch line I've become ashamed to associate with certain players even in my current guild.

I know that 6/7 guilds is not a big enough sample size but I refuse to believe that this was a coincidence and I argue that racism even the "banter" sort is rampant in European raiding guilds.

I have never spoken up about this before because I felt I was in the minority as everyone joins in the laughs but what do you think?

Am I overreacting?

I'm sure this happens in other guilds too but nobody ever speaks up about it.

I'd claim this isn't specific to wow guilds. Also no not everyone is like that aside from racism against our fellow eastern Germans such comments rarely come up here or are appreciated on a regular basis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Okay so I've been in about 7/6 guilds in my raiding career in WoW and something that has always, always bothered me was how much racism goes in the serious/semi-serious previously heroic/now mythic guilds I've graced. From hearing people call each other the N word for laughs to blatant racism of calling someone black as an insult or using offensive black stereotypes as a punch line I've become ashamed to associate with certain players even in my current guild.

I know that 6/7 guilds is not a big enough sample size but I refuse to believe that this was a coincidence and I argue that racism even the "banter" sort is rampant in European raiding guilds.

I have never spoken up about this before because I felt I was in the minority as everyone joins in the laughs but what do you think?

Am I overreacting?

I'm sure this happens in other guilds too but nobody ever speaks up about it.
    I'm not a racist and use racist jokes all the time, get over it. I find it amusing and I'm not about to stop because someones feelings got "hurt".

If had people tell me they were offended and I apologized to them. If someone can talk to me on a decent level aside from raging over something I said I will tell them I'm sorry and that I'll try to avoid doing it again in front of them. Communicating about issues is something that goes both ways.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2015-03-06 at 11:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is racism ever acceptable?
    I've never been in mythic guilds, I've always been focused more on social guilds, and I've not noticed a lot of racism. There's always "that guy", but he's usually ended up leaving eventually. Honestly sexism has been a more frequent thing in the guilds I've been in.
    I don't personally think either is acceptable, but it's hard to fight against if the guild leader/officers don't care. I'd say talk to the officers, see if you can get them on board to help tone it down/set social rules, and if not - leave. Why spend your free time being uncomfortable around assholes?
    My name is Necrox, and I'm an altoholic.

Not everyone has their jimmies rustled with political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    I'd claim this isn't specific to wow guilds. Also no not everyone is like that aside from racism against our fellow eastern Germans such comments rarely come up here or are appreciated on a regular basis.
    I disagree I rarely see racism happening IRL not saying it doesn't happen but if what you're saying is that racism exists in WoW to the same extent as IRL then I should be seeing at least one occurrence every month but this is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'm not a racist and use racist jokes all the time, get over it. I find it amusing and I'm not about to stop because someones feelings got "hurt".
    Pretty sure that makes you racist

Are you from Swedistan? Because I can't see how anyone else would be surprised.

It's how things are in real life and boy am I glad it stays like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Not everyone has their jimmies rustled with political correctness.
    This has nothing to do with PC but rather being bigoted and prejudiced to an entire race. Do you think racism is acceptable?

- - - Updated - - -

No I'm pretty sure this makes you a racist.

This has nothing to do with PC but rather being bigoted and prejudiced to an entire race. Do you think racism is acceptable?
    I think any kind of humour is acceptable, and whether the society labels me because of it or not doesn't really matter to me.

Deleted
    yes, like the use of the word faggot.

Deleted
    I disagree I rarely see racism happening IRL not saying it doesn't happen but if what you're saying is that racism exists in WoW to the same extent as IRL then I should be seeing at least one occurrence every month but this is not the case.
    If you haven't seen it irl you either never were in school or don't work in a place where a lot of co-workers work together. As soon as a group of people come together racist/sexist jokes will come up sooner or later for all "races" (including white people) and genders.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    Words aren't racist, the meaning behind them is. You can say all the naughty words you want if it is in good spirit. It only becomes a problem when you use them to specifically degrade someone.

I foremost meant this being not specific to the wow community or the mmo genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    Pretty much. Even if you believe you are not a racist at some point you realize what kind of retards you entertain. I took a step back from that crap when I recognized I actually entertained a bunch of neo nazis who mistook me for one of their peers.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2015-03-06 at 11:42 AM.

Deleted
    Everyone gets stepped on their toes way to easy these days.
    Everything is racism this, racism that.

People need to learn not to be offended by everything.

Goddamn hippies.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrox View Post
    Is racism ever acceptable?
    I've never been in mythic guilds, I've always been focused more on social guilds, and I've not noticed a lot of racism. There's always "that guy", but he's usually ended up leaving eventually. Honestly sexism has been a more frequent thing in the guilds I've been in.
    I don't personally think either is acceptable, but it's hard to fight against if the guild leader/officers don't care. I'd say talk to the officers, see if you can get them on board to help tone it down/set social rules, and if not - leave. Why spend your free time being uncomfortable around assholes?
    I agree that sexism is also another major concern but we have a couple of females in the guild so the other players "behave" themselves.

I'll take your advice on board.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

No I'm pretty sure this makes you a racist.
    If you think that is racist I stronly suggest you never get a job at a place where a lot of cultures meet eachother, I know racism..I see racism on a daily basis working at an airport. And I can tell you that I'm very respectfull when it comes to all cultures outside of joking.

I'm not a racist and use racist jokes all the time
    yea no, this makes you a racist.

racism shouldn't be tolerated, anywhere, fullstop - but unfortunately you get people like the one quoted who have no idea they are even being racist

edit: just because it might be common place with people you know face to face who don't take offence from it, doesn't mean it can't get misintrepeted elsewhere and cause offense. so you are backhandedly racist, it's still racism whichever way you draw it.
    <insert witty signature here>

Curious if you picked country-specific guilds?
    I haven't been in enough guilds to have any idea if it's something you often see. Practically only been in one since vanilla, and racists would be kicked straight out.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I think any kind of humour is acceptable, and whether the society labels me because of it or not doesn't really matter to me.
    If you're a white male your opinions are not really needed in this thread please hit backspace.

/S

No but seriously where do you draw the line? What if there was a black guy(s) in your guild would you think they'd take it personally if the jokes were persistent? Or you don't recruit black players?