Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

building my first computer.

First time for everything and I must say that the whole process has me pretty confused. A lot of the components talk about overclocking and SLI and vram and a whole lot of stuff I simply dont know anything about. I would like help building a simple, no bells and whistles computer I can game on

Budget 500-800 (I would like to avoid spending money I dont have to)
    starting totally from scratch.
    have all the accessories I need.
    just looking to play raid in wow (on ultra would be nice) and maybe some fallout and the like.

Thanks to some videos from "Jayztwocents" I have a (very) basic understanding of what I need, but I would still appreciate some feedback from the community. For instance I dont get why everyone hates on AMD, why is it so bad? Or why people suggest these monster GPUs and then the cheapest power supply (I learned a little about outputs and volts per rails today)

Quote Originally Posted by deca4531 View Post
    First time for everything and I must say that the whole process has me pretty confused. A lot of the components talk about overclocking and SLI and vram and a whole lot of stuff I simply dont know anything about. I would like help building a simple, no bells and whistles computer I can game on

Budget 500-800 (I would like to avoid spending money I dont have to)
    starting totally from scratch.
    have all the accessories I need.
    just looking to play raid in wow (on ultra would be nice) and maybe some fallout and the like.

Thanks to some videos from "Jayztwocents" I have a (very) basic understanding of what I need, but I would still appreciate some feedback from the community. For instance I dont get why everyone hates on AMD, why is it so bad? Or why people suggest these monster GPUs and then the cheapest power supply (I learned a little about outputs and volts per rails today)
    I'll put a build together when I get home if no one else has, just to answer a couple of questions though:

The AMD "hate" is not hate per se, it's just an inferior product when it comes to CPU bound games like WoW. In WoWs case, and most CPU-Bound games/MMOs, the primary thread can only be run on a single core. Therefore, indivudual core performance is what matters. AMDs single core performance is weak compared to intels. 2 strong cores is preferable to 8 mediocre cores. For instance, a dual core intel Pentium G3258 for $50 will run the game as well or better than a top end 8-core AMD, all other parts of the system being equal.

Around here at least, you will not see people recommending cheap PSUs. A PSU is one of the most important parts of your build. A cheap PSU can fry your entire system. Knowing this, lots of people end up wanting to get a 750w PSU. This is going overboard. Though GPU manufacturers typically recommend large PSUs, they do this because they do not know what else is in your system sucking power nor the quality of your PSU. They are playing it safe. A good quality 80+ Gold 550W PSU is more than enough to power most systems, so that's generally what you will see recommended.

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.95 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($132.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($93.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $798.82
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 17:18 EST-0500

Parts even match colors. If you don't need an OS, use the saving to upgrade to a z97 board and the i5 4690k, which will help with WoW more than a better GPU.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Here is another option for the lower end of your budget, needs an OS though.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($103.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($132.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($61.08 @ Newegg)
    Total: $537.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 17:37 EST-0500

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanxs for the recommendation, and I hope im not asking too much but could you explain why you recommend some of these choices? At some point im going to have to do this on my own and it would help if I know what I was looking for.

Oh and if I could get a some parts used (I found an Inland ILG 650E for pretty cheap) would it be a good idea or would I be putting my build at unnecessary risk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanxs for the recommendation, and I hope im not asking too much but could you explain why you recommend some of these choices? At some point im going to have to do this on my own and it would help if I know what I was looking for.
    CPU: I went with the best quad core your budget would allow. There are some unsubstantiated rumors that Directx12 will make better use of multiple cores, hence the choice of a quad core. In addition you will be able to have mmo-champ up in the background while streaming Pandora and not gimping your WoW.
    CPU Cooler: The included Intel cooler falls in the "good enough" category; but for only 30 bucks you can get a highly rated, but loud"ish" cooler.
    Mobo: Name-brand, well rated, cheap. Should be noted that it's actually micro ATX in size. The case I picked will work fine with it. But if you want a full size one, go with the one Lathais picked.
    Memory: Name-brand, well rated, matched the color scheme. (Hey that's important!) Didn't notice at the time the mobo only supports speed up to 1600, so save a few bucks and go with this set. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-...-f31600c9d8gab 8gb is the sweet spot right now in price / performance ratio. Two 4gb sticks for dual channel goodness.
    Storage: Name-brand, well rated, cheap. I have the exact same HD. It just works.
    Video Card: I picked every other component first, then used whatever budget you had left to get the best card you could afford. That happened to be the 750ti. It's a good card, you won't be rocking 4k ultra Witcher 3. But you will be able to play Witcher 3 with it.
    Case: Picked one that was cheap and didn't kill puppies in a former life. Cases are so personal. Something I could love you could loath. Pick one that fits an ATX mobo and your tastes and you're golden.
    PSU: 80+ Gold, Fully Modular. Decent price. Yes please.
    Optical Drive: It's $15. Makes getting your OS on the first time 100% easier. Plus you can make cool mix CD's and pretend it's 1999. (I live by the better to have and not need than need and not have type outlook.) Did I mention it's 15 dollars? I suppose you could save the 15 bucks and that one time you need a disc drive three years from now you can instead buy a 12 pack, get drunk, and kick yourself for not spending 15 bucks.

Oh and if I could get a some parts used (I found an Inland ILG 650E for pretty cheap) would it be a good idea or would I be putting my build at unnecessary risk?
    I would be really leery of a used PSU. Real leery.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the breakdown on that. As it turned out I should be getting a little extra money in this month so I can cap my budget out at 1000$.

I was actually looking at that same CPU at micro center, and its only 160$ if I buy the mobo from them too.

My first instinct with a bigger budget would be to look at a better GPU, but is there something else I should be looking at upgrading first. If not what kind of progression would you recommend in GPUs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the breakdown on that. As it turned out I should be getting a little extra money in this month so I can cap my budget out at 1000$.

I was actually looking at that same CPU at micro center, and its only 160$ if I buy the mobo from them too.

My first instinct with a bigger budget would be to look at a better GPU, but is there something else I should be looking at upgrading first. If not what kind of progression would you recommend in GPUs?
    Amazing what a little extra cash can do... upgrades! For Everyone!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.73 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($192.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.97 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $995.45
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 10:56 EDT-0400

Was able to get the i5 4690k and a mobo that will support it. In addition the mobo can support crossfire, so you can get a second Radeon R9 280 when funds allow. (This card will play all AAA titles at 1080p at high settings Maybe Ultra on a few.) Was able to fit a SSD for quick start ups. Got a bigger PSU built in in case you decide to go with crossfire at some point. It's a little bigger than what you will need, even with crossfire, but a good price on a highly rated name brand...

If you can't (won't) Overclock your CPU, drop back down to the 4690 I first linked. Overclocking is easy, hundreds of videos out there with step by step instructions. Just don't try and push the envelope and you'll be fine; while seeing significant gains inside of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Amazing what a little extra cash can do... upgrades! For Everyone!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.73 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($192.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($97.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $995.45
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 10:56 EDT-0400

Was able to get the i5 4690k and a mobo that will support it. In addition the mobo can support crossfire, so you can get a second Radeon R9 280 when funds allow. (This card will play all AAA titles at 1080p at high settings Maybe Ultra on a few.) Was able to fit a SSD for quick start ups. Got a bigger PSU built in in case you decide to go with crossfire at some point. It's a little bigger than what you will need, even with crossfire, but a good price on a highly rated name brand...

If you can't (won't) Overclock your CPU, drop back down to the 4690 I first linked. Overclocking is easy, hundreds of videos out there with step by step instructions. Just don't try and push the envelope and you'll be fine; while seeing significant gains inside of WoW.
    Do not forget, poster mentioned he lives near a microcenter, he can probably get that CPU/MoBo combo for even cheaper than that or possibly an i7/z97 mobo for the same price. In-store deals at microcenter are insane.

I would also recommend a GTX970 over that R9 280:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1332?vs=1355

Those are some pretty signifigant gains for about $10 more.

Deleted
    You can get the i5 4690k + Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 at microcentre for 280 bucks according their website.
    So you could get this with the remainder of the money

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 87.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($272.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $746.63
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 11:18 EDT-0400

Keep in mind that AMD should be releasing something within the next 2 months. If you cant wait, just get it now
    If you don't need an OS, you can get a 970/290x instead of the 290.