Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

can someone enlighten me about cigarettes?

as a non smoker who has no intention to ever smoke i'm curious how exactly do cigarettes like for example a non menthol and and menthol or lights and ultra lights differ in taste when it basically giving you the same toxic mix of chemicals? what do the tobacco companies mean when they use the word taste in their ads? how would you describe the taste to someone who has and will never smoke? what exactly is the point? is it purely psychological trickery or is there an actual difference?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't post memes, please.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2015-03-07 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeakanice View Post
    you didn't even read the post did you? otherwise you wouldn't have posted that video.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    The taste differences are just that. Differences in the way your taste buds feel when you smoke the thing. That is how taste works.

If you absolutely MUST have an analogy to explain what taste is, compare it to coffee: In general, coffee is coffee, but any regular coffee drinker can tell the difference between their regular brand and something else. Same thing with tobacco products.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    People get addicted and don't care about the taste... they just need their fix.
    so it's just really effective ad campaigns that convince people there's a difference?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you didn't even read the post did you? otherwise you wouldn't have posted that video.
    I read it. I still posted it since tobacco is a drug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    The taste differences are just that. Differences in the way your taste buds feel when you smoke the thing. That is how taste works.

If you absolutely MUST have an analogy to explain what taste is, compare it to coffee: In general, coffee is coffee, but any regular coffee drinker can tell the difference between their regular brand and something else. Same thing with tobacco products.
    yes i know what taste is but how can chemicals taste different?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeakanice View Post
    I read it. I still posted it since tobacco is a drug.
    we all know that.

- - - Updated - - -

we all know that.
    You can flavor anything, like Vodka. If customers like fruity or minty flavors they take the extract and add it in. Cigarettes can have 100's of unhealthy ingrediants. The additional flavors are just kind of an extra.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2015-03-07 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'm sure people have preferences, but I've never seen a smoker turn down a cigarette when they didn't have their own brand on them.
    that's odd because i've run into or know some smokers who only buy x brand or type of cigarette and won't smoke anything else even when it isn't available.(yes i know it's ancedotal but that's not the point)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    You can flavor anything, like Vodka. If customers like fruity or minty flavors they take the extract and add it in. Cigarettes can have 100's of unhealthy ingrediants. The additional flavors are just kind of a kicker.
    don't the toxic ingredients drown out the flavors?

Its like the different types of cancer it causes, their all shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Not exactly.

Yes. The addiction is real, but any smoker can tell you the difference between a Menthol and a Non-Menthol. They can tell you the difference between a bold, regular, light and ultra light. There is a distinct taste for each type. It's rather easy to tell. I smoke light menthol cigs... and a regular (a Marlboro Red for example) makes me sick. Hell, non-menothol tastes like ass. And don't get me started on Ultra Lights... Those things are an absolute waste of everything.

Trust me Winter, those of us who smoke... we aren't all uncultured swine just looking for a fix.
    You just like yellow teeth, a horrible smell that follows you and cancer?
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

I smoke Marlboro Menthols/Camel Crush Menthols.

Yes theres a difference between menthol and non menthol which you can easily tell the difference if you're a smoker. It can't really be explained to a non smoker though. Kind of like trying to explain to someone whos never smoked pot before whats it's like to be high. When you inhale a menthol, you feel "a cool mist in the back of your throat". Again, it's really hard to explain to a nonsmoker, but thats the best way I can describe it.

But in the end, DON'T SMOKE. Extremely tough habit to quit.

that's odd because i've run into or know some smokers who only buy x brand or type of cigarette and won't smoke anything else even when it isn't available.(yes i know it's ancedotal but that's not the point)

- - - Updated - - -

don't the toxic ingredients drown out the flavors?
    That sounds like brand loyalty, it gets psychological after a while.

I'm sure some of the more flavored ones could mask the taste.

I dunno man there's like 400 fucking flavors of soda out there. Tobacco gets flavored just like any other garbage from a wrapper you find in a gas station.

Coming from a guy who smokes cigarettes and refuses to eat junk food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I smoke Marlboro Menthols/Camel Crush Menthols.

Yes theres a difference between menthol and non menthol which you can easily tell the difference if you're a smoker. It can't really be explained to a non smoker though. Kind of like trying to explain to someone whos never smoked pot before whats it's like to be high. When you inhale a menthol, you feel "a cool mist in the back of your throat". Again, it's really hard to explain to a nonsmoker, but thats the best way I can describe it.

But in the end, DON'T SMOKE. Extremely tough habit to quit.
    i can understand the comparison but that spawns another question...how would you put mist in a cigarette without it becoming damp?

how would you put mist in a cigarette without it becoming damp?
    You don't put mist in a cigarette.

Stood in the Fire ImEveryCliche's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i can understand the comparison but that spawns another question...how would you put mist in a cigarette without it becoming damp?
    It's not a mist though. It's menthol. A better comparison would be like taking a breath in after eating a really strong mint. That cool sensation.

Menthol has a menthol-like slight burning sensation to it, like the feeling you get after eating a mint or menthol chewing gum (think airwaves). It's kind of like breathing in cold air as opposed to humid. The difference between brands is usually how much crap they put in their cigarettes. Marlboro for example has a bunch of crap that looks like wood chips. Cheaper brands tend to taste bitter. Lights v normal is harder to explain, I mean lights do feel smoother/lighter when inhaling, less acrid and tend to have less tar, nicotine or other chemicals they usually add. If you go from light to normal or normal to heavy, you can end up feeling sick and/or light headed.

Ever used vicks vapo rub? Same deal. Or yeah, strong mint. That works too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Ever used vicks vapo rub? Same deal. Or yeah, strong mint. That works too.
    and what about lights and ultra lights are those like diet cigarettes or something? is it supposed to give you LESS cancer?

differ in taste when it basically giving you the same toxic mix of chemicals?
    A description I've heard made of Fanta and Coke.

To take your questions in order;
    Menthol's taste like mint, but being mint smoke it's more akin to how your breath feels after you've brushed your teeth, just dirty instead of clean. Light/Ultra lights varying of taste comes down to individual companies, but it's like any "diet" product... less in it, less chemical reaction in your body when you use it, etc. Personally speaking these do have a slighter taste to them, but that's exactly what some customers are looking for as they're addicted and don't like the taste either.
    "What do tobacco companies mean when they us the word taste in their ads?"
    Adverts are lies looking to manipulate you, ignore it. There is an argument for taste, for different companies identity of flavour, but these aren't cultivated like wines or perfumes, it's bullshit we addicts can pontificate about whilst having a pint.

The taste of smoke is carbon + what they made the carbon out of. If you want to have a ballpark idea of the taste have a look for something like smoked cheddar. Passive smoking isn't very effective, being akin to tasting sodas via a friend's burps.

The point? Short term? Long term? It's not a plan, it's an addiction, therefore an impulse and urge that can't always be ignored. It is a drug with negative side effects. That pretty much covers the majority of things that cause reactions in our bodies. Cheese for instance.

I'm not sure the trickery is external, there are a lot of people out there who are pretty effective at justifying any set of actions or decisions through delusional reasoning. Addiction is a powerful motivator, I've even used it as a pivot against depression, but for some it's a controlling aspect as close to philosophy as religion or tradition "My father smoked blues till the day he died, and so will I".

As a counter thought, beer is generally badly made, tastes unspectacular and gives people a hangover that quarters their IQ, reaction times and general pleasantness. It is a depressant, causes more bad decisions than Twitter, vomiting, renal failure, etc
    And yet, they keep going back...