Page 1 of 635
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

2015-2016 NFL thread

Well, I was going to wait till tomorrow, but with all the crazy free agent deals allready leaking I think we'd better get this thread started quickly.

WELCOME TO THE NEW SEASON THREAD!

First, some stuff about the old thread: (found here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...015-NFL-thread )

Total posts: 8547 over a period of 363 days

Posts per day: 23,54

Top posters:

Calendar for the coming days/weeks/months:

March 10 Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2015 on all players who have option clauses in their 2014 contracts
    Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation
    Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2014 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit
    Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2015 salary cap prior to 4 p.m. ET
    All 2014 player contracts expire at 4 p.m. ET
    2015 league year and free agency period begins (4 p.m. ET)
    Trading period for 2015 begins (4 p.m. ET)
    March 19-21 NFL Career Development Symposium (Phoenix)
    March 21-22 Super Regional Combine (Phoenix)
    March 22-25 NFL Annual Meeting (Phoenix)
    April 6 Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2014 regular season may begin offseason workout programs
    April 20 Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs
    April 24 Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets
    April 29 Deadline for prior club to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents
    April 30-May 2 NFL Draft (Chicago)
    May 8-11 First weekend after the NFL Draft: Clubs may elect to hold their three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday
    May 11 Rookie Football Development Program begins
    May 15-18 Second weekend after the NFL Draft: Clubs may elect to hold their three- day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday
    May 18-20 NFL Spring League Meeting (San Francisco)
    June 1 For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 1, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2016 League Year
    Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a contract with a club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4 p.m. ET, only with his prior club
    Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision
    June 15 Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged)
    June 21-27 Rookie Symposium (Aurora, Ohio)
    July 15 At 4 p.m. ET, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multi-year contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2015 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game
    Mid-July Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players
    Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension- credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later
    Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players
    A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical
    July 22* Signing Period ends for unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “June 1 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4 p.m. ET, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights (* or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.)
    July 22 Signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4 p.m. ET, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights

Right, that's it, discuss away!

15+ Year Old Account
    What a time to shut the old thread down!

Suh to Miami seems perfect for him. Has any team been more dysfunctional since Philbin took over?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post
    What a time to shut the old thread down!

Suh to Miami seems perfect for him. Has any team been more dysfunctional since Philbin took over?
    Browns? Though discipline is not something Miami is known for lately so they'd definitely be in the discussion. To put a guy with discipline problems like Suh there? Not sure how that will work out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had over 300 more posts than anyone else in the thread? Jesus I need to get a life.

The Suh deal came completely out of left field to me. Glad he's gone from the division, but damn that cost....

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's like get rid of incognito.... Pick up a face stomper.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frunken had a point about bringing the old thread down at an inopportune time, so let's rehash the last few posts that would have normally sparked debate:

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Fucking CRAZY day. Suh is getting a mega contract (113m 60m gt'd) at Miami. Chris Johnson got shot in the shoulder. Byron Maxwell has an offer from the Eagles somewhere in the 13m a year range. Maxwell is waiting for a Seattle counter offer. If the numbers are right he may take a discount to stay in Seattle with a backloaded contract. Which I doubt... hard to turn down that much fucking money.

Oh and Revis has narrowed down to two teams, NE and the Jets. I think he stays with NE. Can't give up Wilfork and Revis in the same offseason.

- - - Updated - - -

Julius Thomas to Jacksonville I'm hearing.

9ers might be losing Frank Gore too.

Torrey Smith is showing interest with the 9ers.... FUCK

- - - Updated - - -

Oh boy Seahawks resign Anthony McCoy to a 1 year deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Man, I'd love Suh to be a Raider but not at that cost, Jesus Christ.

Surely the Dolphins are going to be either in cap hell or cutting a few people from their team to make the coverage there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Going all in with Philbin's prove it year. If he gets axed the next coach and likely front office is gonna be in hell. I feel like Mike Wallace is done as a Dolphin if Suh is signed.

- - - Updated - - -

Frank Gore is going to the Eagles apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Reports from philly say Maxwell will be an iggle.
    - - - Updated - - -

Also, this whole legal tampering period is a complete farce, it seems. They are only supposed to discuss frameworks of a deal and several teams, agents and players have clearly been talking hard numbers allready. I have a suspicion the league will not be happy with this and will either lay down the law or make changes to how the system works for next year.

Also, heard that Marcedes Lewis is traded to the Browns, from Jacksonville. So that Julius Thomas in Jacksonville rumour is probably true.

Makes you wonder what the Raiders are going to do. They've missed out on Suh, Cobb and Julius Thomas and they need to spend a gigantic load of cash. Not sure how they are going to get that done, if not by spending more then they should on second rate players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be interesting if the NFL does something. Seattle and NE haven't had any news really. Eagles and Dolphins would be big offenders.

Suh vs Brady x2 is gonna be some fun TV

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Makes you wonder what the Raiders are going to do. They've missed out on Suh, Cobb and Julius Thomas and they need to spend a gigantic load of cash. Not sure how they are going to get that done, if not by spending more then they should on second rate players.
    "Come to Oakland, where we pay mediocre guys more than they're worth to reach the salary floor!" is one way to increase recruitment.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2015-03-08 at 11:19 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Watching ppl wipe on Ruk never gets old.

@OP

Philly has decent amount of cap space and maybe they wrap up their secondary with a McCourty signing?
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually shocked I didn't make the list for last season. I have to up my game this season!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I'm actually shocked I didn't make the list for last season. I have to up my game this season!
    12th with 188. Train hard, give it your all during the season and I can see you step into a bigger role in this thread. You have top 10 potential.

/coach mode off

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    @OP

Philly has decent amount of cap space and maybe they wrap up their secondary with a McCourty signing?
    Million dollar question for Patriots fans right now. Can we keep Revis and/or McCourty.

I was actually pretty wound up about it all, despite knowing that I trust Bill and the frontoffice to get things done, mostly due to the lack of news surrounding the team. But then they released Wilfork, and after that I kind of let go. Apparently I needed to just see some kind of action from the front office to knwo they were actively working on the situation and that eventually by the time training camp is done and final rosters are assembled that we'd have a competitive team to watch again. So, I'm good with the situation. We should know by Tuesday day-end if we keep one or both of those players or if they are walking away.

Revis is kind of a mercenary for money so far, so I won't have any bad feelings about him walking away, and McCourty is getting his first pay day, and I won't begrudge a guy to cash in on his opportunity. These guys need to live off of these contracts for the rest of their lives, they should get what they can when they have the opportunity.

Worst case scenario McCourty signs with the Eagles (like S Patrick Chung a while back) and bombs in their scheme (like S Patrick Chung a while back) and then gets cut (like S Patrick Chung a while back) and then signs a team friendly deal with New England and boucnes back to being a good player again ( like S Patrick Chung )

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeremy Maclin to the Chiefs it sounds like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wooo!
    AFC east just got a little better with Suh going to Miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Wooo!
    AFC east just got a little better with Suh going to Miami.
    And McCoy and Cassel going to the Bills
    And Brandon Marshall going to the Jets

If Patriots keep some semblance of a defense in tact it's going to be AFC BEAST. Defenses on all 4 teams should be scary then. Kinda brings NFC West to mind in that regard then.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I know putting your faith in Rookie Cornerbacks, can be scary (considering the step down from Revis to a rookie) but either of the cornerbacks from Washington and Michigan State could fall, and if they do I don't see anyone after the Ravens grabbing one. Even if both are gone (likely), the corners from Wake Forrest and LSU are not bad choices at the bottom of the 1st. Maybe somebody else drops and they have to choose talent over need, but if they Patriots lose both Revis/McCourty or one of them, some options in the draft are there.
    I've seen two mock drafts for the Bengals now, that would leave me sad. One had the Bengals taking Armstead (Oregon) because depth, over the FSU defensive tackle, Goldman, and one had us taking Armstead over Brown (Texas)... I would burn my Akili Smith jersey I have in a old duffel bag, if they pulled that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    And McCoy and Cassel going to the Bills

If Patriots keep some semblance of a defense in tact it's going to be AFC BEAST. Defenses on all 4 teams should be scary then. Kinda brings NFC West to mind in that regard then.
    Former Bronco Marshall right?
    Bills are going to be scary unless Rex Ryan runs them into the ground.
    The Dolphins are always borderline good
    Jets are...the Jets

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I hope the Bears regret this chocie, but I feel bad for Marshall. Jay Cutler maybe Jay Cutler, but he could get the ball down field, and to go from that to Geno Smith would make me consider retirement.
    With that said, I still expect Marshall to be competing for top 20 receiving yards all time, when he retires, with 12-13k+ (currently 9k+ and only 30.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Rumour has it that the Jets are kicking the tires on Hoyer. Which should mean competition for Geno and probably not spending their first round pick on a QB, you'd assume.

Not sure if I agree with Wsky about Jets being Jets. With Rex gone and the front office gone we don't actually have any idea what this Jets team will be. With the defensive scheme in Arizona their new HC had a lot of success, we'll see what he can do in NY. I certainly don't expect them to be an easy target this year.

Fun question, which division is better: AFC East, or NFC North?

Fun answer: AFC East beat the NFC North head to head last year, and the AFC East only got stronger this off season so far.

People always underestimate the AFC East cause it rarely sends anyone to the playoffs apart from the Patriots, but it's really not that bad of a division.

Deleted
    What a deal Suh got himself. Let's see if he can play up to the costs it'll take to have him around!

- - - Updated - - -

And regarding McCoy and Cassel going to the Bills... Eh. I mean, there's potential and all but honestly Cassel? Really? It's a step up from Kyle "I'm not a backup" Orton but REALLY? Matt Cassel..

I mean, I can see him probably mentoring Manuel since he seemed to do a good job for Teddy but there's talk that he might be the new starter..

Come to think of it, no wonder they went so hard on securing McCoy to have a rungame if Cassel and Manuel is their QB team..
    Last edited by mmoc1f48e0f23e; 2015-03-09 at 01:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if I agree with Wsky about Jets being Jets. With Rex gone and the front office gone we don't actually have any idea what this Jets team will be. With the defensive scheme in Arizona their new HC had a lot of success, we'll see what he can do in NY. I certainly don't expect them to be an easy target this year.
    While I don't think the Jets are an easy target (As a Pats fan) I'm not overly concerned with them any more than usual. I wouldn't be surprised if they take a game from NE, but I don't see them even making the playoffs (especially with the roster moves the Bills and Dolphins have made

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    Cassel? Really? It's a step up from Kyle "I'm not a backup" Orton but REALLY? Matt Cassel..
    Think it's a hemorrhage move; snagging Shady means they can have a mediocre (at best) QB and still be effective