Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Feminist Lesbian chooses Female Privilege over Male Privilege

"Lesbian Feminist Norah Vincent lives as a man for 18 months, goes nuts and is happy to get back to life as a woman."

Note this in particular: http://youtu.be/Ip7kP_dd6LU?t=9m23s

"The dating adventures are the most breathtaking. Ned is on the receiving end of women's boring, self-pitying monologues and endless tirades about what bastards men are. His dates all suspect he is as bad as the rest of them:

'They made every man they met into a wolf, even when that man was a woman."
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-03-10 at 06:26 PM.

Deleted
    I don't care, she's ugly.

15+ Year Old Account
    This can only end well.

And by well, I mean a shitstorm of people believing all feminists think like this.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    This can only end well.

And by well, I mean a shitstorm of people believing all feminists think like this.
    One thing she said sticks out to me though, where I feel she's hit the nail right on the head. Women have no idea what it is to be a man and generally have no clue about what struggles men face. It's the same for men empathizing with women. This is why work towards equality is so very ambiguous, what's a huge problem to some is comforting to others.

Also, the quote by Xarim below the video, I didn't actually hear that being said, maybe I just wasn't listening well enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Adudu View Post
    One thing she said sticks out to me though, where I feel she's hit the nail right on the head. Women have no idea what it is to be a man and generally have no clue about what struggles men face. It's the same for men empathizing with women. This is why work towards equality is so very ambiguous, what's a huge problem to some is comforting to others.

Also, the quote by Xarim below the video, I didn't actually hear that being said, maybe I just wasn't listening well enough?
    It is unfortunate and also very true that in the extremely polarizing culture of equality politics, people are often forced to take extreme and shallow positions on issues that are incredibly complex. You end up with large numbers of people who actually believe that if you happen to be a certain gender + race, it is the equivalent of rolling a D&D character with perfect stats.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

It is not about "choosing" a privilege you prefer. If you live as a person you can not identify with your self, life becomes shitty. No matter if male or female. That's the problem for example transsexuals have to face every day, till they decide to transition.
    Last edited by josykay; 2015-03-09 at 01:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    It is not about "choosing" a privilege you prefer. If you live as a person you can not identify with your self, life becomes shitty. No matter if male or female. That's the problem for example transsexuals have to face every day, till they decide to transition.
    This. As someone who's lived as both, I'd say life was less hard as a dude, but it's still tough in different ways, and it depends who you are. The ultra manly men who are just ultra manly probably have an easy time of it, they fit their role and they're happy like that and that's chill. Same for the opposite in women.

Also bear in mind (I havn't watched the video, as im at work, but...) it's not a totally "fair" swap. She's going from being a gay woman to a straight man, I assume, going on dates with girls while presenting as male. The entire thing is completley different, so it's not really like you can compare and contrast the two kinda thing.

I guess I'm ultra manly, I like fights and I love women but consider them almost another species.

That said the video is a little sympathetic to men which is a nice change.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

She never chose a privilege, she simply went back to being the woman she was was after the experiment. If anything, this helps to dispel several biases against men from new age feminists.

Many women call for empathy and understanding but don't care to reciprocate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    This. As someone who's lived as both, I'd say life was less hard as a dude, but it's still tough in different ways, and it depends who you are. The ultra manly men who are just ultra manly probably have an easy time of it, they fit their role and they're happy like that and that's chill. Same for the opposite in women.

Also bear in mind (I havn't watched the video, as im at work, but...) it's not a totally "fair" swap. She's going from being a gay woman to a straight man, I assume, going on dates with girls while presenting as male. The entire thing is completley different, so it's not really like you can compare and contrast the two kinda thing.
    You should watch the video. It'll give some extra perspective. It wasn't about fitting into your gender role but rather about understanding that it's tough in different ways. In what ways would you say life was less hard as a dude by the way?

Oh, it's the Misogynist-Insecurity-Champion OT time of day again.

Deleted
    You should watch the video. It'll give some extra perspective. It wasn't about fitting into your gender role but rather about understanding that it's tough in different ways. In what ways would you say life was less hard as a dude by the way?
    I will do, I saw a thing a while ago about this, I think it was at the start of the experiement (or possibly it was just someone else) and was really interested in it. I can't watch it until I get home, but.

As for life being less hard as a dude... I just tried to type out a big ol' paragraph about little niggles and quality of life or safety issues but it's nothing really that's not been said before, and it's all anecdotal so it's pretty meaningless. In the end though it comes down to people's perception of you. Obviously YMMV depending on how "good" you are at your gender, as I mentioned earlier, like... if you're a pretty standard guy or girl it's going to be easier than if you're not, but generally it feels like the expectations placed onto you as a woman are more restrictive than those placed on guys.

Many women call for empathy and understanding but don't care to reciprocate.
    10000x this.

I can't speak for all married men, but I know for me, if I spoke to my wife the same way she speaks to me (no sympathy, not "bad" just no sympathy and usually pretty straight forward) ...we'd have a lot more fights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I think you should watch the video and make up your own mind.

The quintessential bastion of camaraderie: the men's bowling team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    10000x this.

I can't speak for all married men, but I know for me, if I spoke to my wife the same way she speaks to me (no sympathy, not "bad" just no sympathy and usually pretty straight forward) ...we'd have a lot more fights.
    I tell my wife that her feelings are like a mine field - No matter what I say I'm bound to cause some sort of blow up.

On the grounds of women not reciprocating empathy and understanding - A lot of that is due to poor communication from both parties. Hell most problems in marriages can be chalked up to not being able to talk to your partner as an equal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    I tell my wife that her feelings are like a mine field - No matter what I say I'm bound to cause some sort of blow up.

On the grounds of women not reciprocating empathy and understanding - A lot of that is due to poor communication from both parties. Hell most problems in marriages can be chalked up to not being able to talk to your partner as an equal.
    Don't you think that sounds like an abusive relationship?

If a woman said that "no matter whatever I say, I'm bound to cause my husband to blow up", don't you think she would be offered a domestic violence shelter?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    you forgot to mention white cishet scum manbabies youhadonejob.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't surprise me. Seems like a classic case of "the grass is always greener... oh wait, no it isn't."