Thread: End of an era?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    It seems to me like the end of the era of reasonable thinking, level headed decision making and choosing to remain neutral is over. Its becoming increasingly apparent in my life and even online from what I can see. On various topics you either have to choose a side or youre relentlessly hounded to pick a side. How about I dont want to be on either side? Listen to the news or pretty much anywhere when decisions are made not even only in politics when decisions are made they go the the extreme instead of what is just needed. Its honestly disappointing that people are going to extremes a lot more. Am I the only one that shares this sentiment? I might just be babbling but I would like to know another perspective that maybe I dont see.
    There is a difference between a discussion and an argument. In a discussion, people seek the truth. In an argument, people want to prove that their opinion is the truth. In a discussion, no one takes sides; in an argument, everyone takes sides. In my opinion, the problem is that most people do not know what a discussion is and resort to endless arguments. This problem is not new though, I am not sure what era you are referring to in which a discussion was dominant. Even in the Ancient Greece, a heaven for philosophers, most of them still tried to turn others to their ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Faster and easier access to information has drove us as a society into overdrive, we can see all the issues and thus desire swift solutions.
    Conversation stops being about opinion but about action, and those not pressing for it are seen as part of the problem.
    If you dont support Xism then you oppose it in essence, regardless if you actually do or not.

Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    It seems to me like the end of the era of reasonable thinking, level headed decision making and choosing to remain neutral is over. Its becoming increasingly apparent in my life and even online from what I can see. On various topics you either have to choose a side or youre relentlessly hounded to pick a side. How about I dont want to be on either side? Listen to the news or pretty much anywhere when decisions are made not even only in politics when decisions are made they go the the extreme instead of what is just needed. Its honestly disappointing that people are going to extremes a lot more. Am I the only one that shares this sentiment? I might just be babbling but I would like to know another perspective that maybe I dont see.
    Can you point out a time when people were more neutral and reasoned than now?