Goal to bench my own weight

Hi all, I've recently started going to the gym more seriously about 2 months ago using the all-pro beginning routine in the gym. I'm about 6'5 and weigh ~190-200 pounds, so I'm skinny. My goal is to be able to bench my own weight by the end of this school semester. I'm also trying to bulk.

I'm only benching 110 lb at sets of 7 reps now (2 55lb dumbbells), which is dissapointingly low. I haven't tried to do my 1 rep max but I'm sure it wouldn't be close to 200. I have a few questions:

1: Should I be doing dumbbell or barbell bench presses? For the former, incline or flat?

2: I work out every other day and do bench presses every other workout (the all-pro beginning routine is a full-body workout). How many sets per session should I aim for, and how many reps per set with this goal in mind?

3: When, if ever, should I switch away from full body routines towards having days for particular muscle groups?

4: How much should I aim to squat for as well?

Thanks, and please feel free to point out any egregious errors in what I've posted.
    Last edited by Xariste; 2015-03-09 at 08:05 PM.

I'm sorry I don't have the time right now to respond appropriately but I made this account just to be able to help you with this. Later this evening I'll post some in-depth answers, suggestions, routines, etc. to help. I've been lifting for about 10 years and have always bounced between a bodybuilding or hypertrophy type training to a more strict power lifting type approach. I am 6'1" and bounce between 180 - 210 depending on the type of training I'm currently doing but when I first started I struggled severely with upping my weights in order to work more with percentages for gains. I'm not the strongest guy but comparatively with body weight I'm higher than normal doing a little over 300 lbs for bench at 190 lbs, so no, I'm not a strong-fat person. I'll get the information together and even work with you through PM if you feel more comfortable that way because there are several different approaches you could and should be taking. I'll help in any way that I can and post the information this evening.

A great way to help accelerate the process: push-ups. Do hundreds of them each week of differing varieties, from regular to wide-arm. I would also not solely do bench press in the gym - work out the rest of your body as well.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Deleted
    If you want to get stronger in Barbell Bench Press, you will do Barbell Bench Press. If you want to get stronger with dumbells, then bench with dumbells. Strength is somewhat as much of a skill as it is of force output. You get better at what you do, not to say that there isn't a carry over between exercises but your focus should be on the one movement you want to practice. Do a flat variant of bench pressing.

Now how do you actually increase your strength? The first problem many have is eating enough. Make sure your weight goes up on your bulk. Secondly, you need some sort of progression and periodization.

Einsteins famous definition of insanity "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results", is very much applicable when it comes to working out. While beginners may get away from doing 4 sets of 8 every day, as you begin to stagnate you need to switch it up. This is where periodization and progression models come in.

There are two, easy to implement suggestions I have. Linear periodization or Daily Undulating Periodization. Linear periodization exists in many forms but the most simple is by just increasing weight from week to week. Assume you do 8 reps for 4 sets, then find the absolute highest amount of weight you do 8 reps for, in 4 sets. Assume that the weight is 100 lb, that makes lb your 100% 8RM. You would start at, 80% of your 8RM and then week by week add about 2,5% to your exercise. In a cycle of 10 weeks you would start at week 1 with 80% of your 8RM, by week 8 you would be at 100% of your 8RM, week 9 you would do hopefully do 102,5-105% of your 8RM (meaning you got stronger), and week 10 would be a deload and you would start over, calculating your new 8RM by either calculating it or trying it out. Of course, as you are somewhat of a beginner, you can expect to add more than just 2,5 - 5 % to your bench over a 10 week period and might be able to increase the weight faster than intended.

Daily Undulating Periodization is somewhat even simpler. Lets say bench 3 times a week, or any of the big lifts for that matter. Day 1 you would do 4 sets of 12, Day 2 you would do 4 sets of 8 and day 3 you would do 5 sets of 5. There isn't really any percentages you need to worry about, this would be more volume oriented. Each time you can complete your target reps for each set, like 4 x 8, you would next workout add a so called AMRAP set (As many reps as possible). When your AMRAP set exceeds you bump up the weight. So in case of the Day 1 example you woul do 4 sets of 8 then AMRAP set for 10 then you would increase weight and don't do a AMRAP set untill you can actually bench 4 x 8 again with the new weight.

These are 2 progression models that many people have a lot of succes with and is easy to implement to any workout. Neither sets or target reps are set in stone and comes down to preference. I would highly suggest hitting each muscle 3 times a week as that seems to be what is optimal most people. A full body is a great way to do this, unless you want to train 6 times a week and do a lower/upper body split.

Deleted
    Post your program, hard to tell how you will progress without it.. If the numbers are important switch your program 5x5 stronglifts. If you start with only the barbell, you will add 7.5kg to your squat pr week and 7.5kg to bench every 2 weeks. Getting those numbers doesn´t have to be rocket science and 5x5 is a nice simple and tested way to achieve your goals, especially as a beginner.

A couple of tips..

Proper form >>> weight

Full range of motion >>> weight

Get proper instructions on good form, especially for heavy compunds like DL, Squat etc

Above parallel is NOT a squat

And bulk properly, don´t just pig out

Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2015-03-11 at 02:02 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xariste View Post

1: Should I be doing dumbbell or barbell bench presses? For the former, incline or flat?

2: I work out every other day and do bench presses every other workout (the all-pro beginning routine is a full-body workout). How many sets per session should I aim for, and how many reps per set with this goal in mind?

3: When, if ever, should I switch away from full body routines towards having days for particular muscle groups?

4: How much should I aim to squat for as well?

Thanks, and please feel free to point out any egregious errors in what I've posted.
    1. Dumbbells all the way, most gyms (even Planet Fitness) will (minimally) have 75lbs stones. Simplifying a bit, but dumbbells provide better stabilizer muscles as well as growth and control. Dumbbells are often easier to facilitate better form because both arms carry an even distribution of weight. You should also be doing both incline and flat, almost every chest faq and guide will contain both of these inclinations.

2. Forget that rep and sets pony show, concentrate on having good form, good count, and lift heavy. If you want to aim for a set number do 3-4, and for reps 6-10. Common advice in the bodybuilding world is if you are finishing your sets and reps then you aren't lifting heavy enough. On your third or fourth set you should be failing, especially as a beginner, this is good!

3. You should only be doing complex/compound/full body routines. If you want to put on weight you NEED to bench, squat, and deadlift. If you want to focus on isolation exercises try to only keep it to 20-30% of your entire workout, the bulk of your exercising should be heavy compound movements period.

4. There is no good number to squat, especially if you are a beginner you probably do not have large back muscles which make squatting a lot harder. Literally start with the bar and start adding weight to it till you feel comfortable. Then keep adding weight. As a beginner I would strongly advice using dumbbells in each hand to start as to condition your legs to the movement.

Good luck with your transformation, set goals, lift big, and remember, diet is literally 80% of working out. Fuel your body with complex carbs and poly/mono unsaturated fats. Protein is important but if you are eating correctly protein becomes more of a staple of each meal rather than a goal. If you have any questions be sure to shoot me an message to my inbox or keep posting in this thread!
    Last edited by Random010203; 2015-03-17 at 02:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    1. Dumbbells all the way, most gyms (even Planet Fitness) will (minimally) have 75lbs stones. Simplifying a bit, but dumbbells provide better stabilizer muscles as well as growth and control. Dumbbells are often easier to facilitate better form because both arms carry an even distribution of weight. You should also be doing both incline and flat, almost every chest faq and guide will contain both of these inclinations.

2. Forget that rep and sets pony show, concentrate on having good form, good count, and lift heavy. If you want to aim for a set number do 3-4, and for reps 6-10. Common advice in the bodybuilding world is if you are finishing your sets and reps then you aren't lifting heavy enough. On your third or fourth set you should be failing, especially as a beginner, this is good!

3. You should only be doing complex/compound/full body routines. If you want to put on weight you NEED to bench, squat, and deadlift. If you want to focus on isolation exercises try to only keep it to 20-30% of your entire workout, the bulk of your exercising should be heavy compound movements period.

4. There is no good number to squat, especially if you are a beginner you probably do not have large back muscles which make squatting a lot harder. Literally start with the bar and start adding weight to it till you feel comfortable. Then keep adding weight. As a beginner I would strongly advice using dumbbells in each hand to start as to condition your legs to the movement.

Good luck with your transformation, set goals, lift big, and remember, diet is literally 80% of working out. Fuel your body with complex carbs and poly/mono unsaturated fats. Protein is important but if you are eating correctly protein becomes more of a staple of each meal rather than a goal. If you have any questions be sure to shoot me an message to my inbox or keep posting in this thread!
    Just to add a few things...

1. If his goal is to barbell bench his own weight, he should do barbell bench pressing, not dumbbell. Barbell is the ultimate strength test. Dumbbell is for stability, focusing pec muscles, but when it Comes to pure raw strength --> barbell > dumbbell. Plus if you get into heavier areas, then dumbbells are far less safe. Try getting 120 pound dumbbells up. And I have never seen someone trying to max on dumbbells either. Cause of the things I already pointed at.
    Im not denying that dumbell benchpress is a good exercise, but if you can, always do barbell first.

2. If his Goal is to increase his max, then 6-10 reps are too many. 5x5 or even 5x3 reps would be more appropriate.

3. I agree fully. Benchpress is not just a chest exercise, and squats+deadlifts will help you grow stronger all over.

4. Even as a beginner, I would still make him squat with the bar. If it's only the bar, so be it. But I wouldn't accustom him towards squatting with dumbbells. When he gets stronger and switches to the bar, he has to learn the movement again.

5. Always keep your rotator cuffs healthy! It might not be a problem until you lift moderately heavy but once you start getting shoulder problems because of that, you're in for a ride. Look for exercises for those!

Ditch the dumbells. You will lose grip before you hit your max ability to bench.

5x5 work out, to 1 rep max week after every 5 week of 5-5-3-2-1