10+ Year Old Account

Toe Jam and Earl: Back in the Groove

Humanature Studios has created a kickstarter to fund a new Toe Jam and Earl game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-in-the-groove

Fans of the original should take note, as this will be in the style of the original game. If you like roguelikes, coop games, or funky old school hip hop then this game is for you.

They're chugging along, but it looks like their campaign could use some juice...so if you are so inclined support the project, and if you are not, but know someone who may be a fan of the series--please spread the word!

The world needs more Toe Jam and Earl
    Last edited by shokter; 2015-03-10 at 12:15 AM.
    "Brevity is...wit"

I did enjoy the first one on the sega genesis (wasn't so big on the side scrolling sequel), although i can't say it was one of my favourite games it is rather unique, i just couldn't get very far with it back in the day, the 'levels' seemed quite similar to me so it was hard to know if you were actually making any progress..

now that i've played lots of roguelikes over the years it does make sense to me a bit more, i just remember it being quite random, the presents you'd pick up would basically either be really good, completely useless or outright kill you. definitely a massive dose of 90's in the IP. for me it sorta reminded me of bill and teds excellent adventure, because of the elevator and the general vibe TJnE both like 'jamming' and bill and ted also air guitar quite often.

after looking at the kickstarter a bit i might have to keep an eye on it, with the newer technology of today they could do something really cool with it, things that just weren't possible back when.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-03-10 at 01:25 AM.

Maybe make this a new MMO?

God I hope this is good.

All the nostalgia from playing this while a teeny child with my mom.

I loved the original and even the platformer sequel. But I just get a bad vibe about this product and won't be backing it despite the fact that I want to see it succeed.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow killer!

Yeah not a fan of kick starter projects if someone has a good idea and sound business model go get the investors instead of e-begging.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm not much of a kickstarter enthusiast either, but it seems to me it is a very good venue for indie game makers to secure funding. Often indie games are niche games. Kickstarter allows a niche game (like TJ&E) to produce a game just for that niche.

I read an interview with the developer where he reflects on the making of the 2 sequels to the original. In both instances publisher input and feedback led to the game being something other than the sequel they wished to create. 2 was a side scrolling platformer, and 3 was an attempt to ape Donkey Kong 64 (GET IT?!?). Other feedback they received was to make female character's breasts bigger and to play up more violent aspects. In appealing to the niche directly they can perhaps avoid this pitfall and make the proper TJ&E sequel they (and their fans) want to see without having to try to attract a mainstream audience.

This isn't to say kickstarter devs aren't beholden in some ways to their 'investors' (they have already made several changes according to fan feedback, and as in many early access/kickstarter efforts there will be a design forum for backers to continually provide input) rather that that the 'investors' views are more in line with the creators' and that they won't have to make compromises for the sake of mass appeal.

cheers
    Last edited by shokter; 2015-03-11 at 08:23 PM.
    "Brevity is...wit"