Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

i have a question about emotions.

i told someone i thought i was in love today and got this as a response.....what do people mean when you ask what if feels like to be in love and they answer with "when your in love you'll know" or "you'll figure it out" since love is a biological process that injects certain chemicals into your body when in love why do people always give this vague response? surely they can spot the signs of being in love since it must have signs or symptoms as all biological processes do.

i ask cause i met this girl today and the minute i looked upon her face.....it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. like i was finally happy.
    this naturally both amazed and scared me and i'm still not sure what to think of it. what do you guys think?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-03-10 at 03:16 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Haven't you watched Interstellar?

10+ Year Old Account
    no i can't say i have. i mostly just watch historical documentaries and the occasional action movie.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Love isn't an actual thing or "biological process". It's just a word that's used when people develop an emotional dependence and physical attraction that's stronger than shorter flings and the like.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    thats what they taught us in school that love is a chemical biological process that releases chemicals to the brain...

Short answer: it's a metaphysical and philosophical problem.

To be honest, this entire thing is dumbfounding me.

While everything is made up from mechanistic reactions, there is more than the sum of the parts to it.
    And its impossible to "explain" what "love" is, you need to feel it to understand it.

Its like reading about driving a car over and over and over again, sure you know have a notion what it is, but you have no real understanding until you do drive a car.
    Also it affects people differently, and sometimes we confused different things, it takes time to learn, to understand and experience and be able to differentiate between them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i told someone i thought i was in love today and got this as a response.....what do people mean when you ask what if feels like to be in love and they answer with "when your in love you'll know" or "you'll figure it out" since love is a biological process that injects certain chemicals into your body when in love why do people always give this vague response? surely they can spot the signs of being in love since it must have signs or symptoms as all biological processes do.

i ask cause i met this girl today and the minute i looked upon her face.....it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. like i was finally happy.
    this naturally both amazed and scared me and i'm still not sure what to think of it. what do you guys think?
    Sounds pretty gay to me.

15+ Year Old Account

hm

Probably just the flu.

You´ll get over it and be up and running in a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Never got this. Everytime I develop a crush on somebody I feel unhappy since she's not with me. I'm only happy the moment I know for sure she likes me. But just becoming happy by looking at her? That just puzzles me.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Sounds pretty gay to me.
    I like your responses but I never understood how you're not permabanned at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Say what you want about 'love' being only a chemical response, but I think there's more to it. Particularly with mothers and their children.

People are becoming too much like programmed robots.
    YAY let´s start the discussion with sexism. This´ll be fun.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    I guess it's probably something caused by chemicals, but I think there's more to it than that. If it was only chemicals, surely you could make someone fall in love with the right injection, and I don't believe that's possible?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sexism? Huh?
    Particularly with mothers and their children.
    Fathers can´t have that.

Say what you want about 'love' being only a chemical response, but I think there's more to it. Particularly with mothers and their children.
    Mother's brains are being tricked to "love" their brood by Oxytocin.

Deleted
    If you looked at a girl and got all warm and fuzzy inside... Chances are you're just horny.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I guess it's probably something caused by chemicals, but I think there's more to it than that. If it was only chemicals, surely you could make someone fall in love with the right injection, and I don't believe that's possible?
    You probably can, it's just not ethical, so it's not been tried.

"Love" has nothing to do with chemicals and everything to do with your soul. That's my opinion. I just prefer not to just "science away" something as important as love. Yes, I am fully aware that the brain releases chemicals that blah blah blah.... STFU! I truly and honestly am fascinated by those things but some things are better left unsaid. Like most of the things I say on these forums.

Deleted
    I am not a biologist so I am not going to go on about chemicals and the stages of attractions and blah blah blah but to put it simply, I don't think you can "fall in love" without having an emotional connection with someone, looking at someone and "knowing they are the one" just sounds like you find them physically attractive, but all that could vanish if you talk to them and they turn out to be either a complete arsehole or dumber than a bag of potatoes.

I have had crushes on people, spoke to them and just talking to them killed it for me, I realised we were very different people and I wasn't interested in them ever again.

If this was someone who you had known for quite a long time and were already close friends then you could fall in love, but I can't see someone just falling in love at first sight, in my opinion that is only something that happens in cheesy movies.

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyChallenged View Post
    "Love" has nothing to do with chemicals and everything to do with your soul. That's my opinion. I just prefer not to just "science away" something as important as love. Yes, I am fully aware that the brain releases chemicals that blah blah blah.... STFU! I truly and honestly am fascinated by those things but some things are better left unsaid. Like most of the things I say on these forums.
    I don't believe in lying to myself because I want something to be super special. If a thing is, it is. What I want it to be doesn't change that.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Fathers can´t have that.
    Well i don't think that was made to be sexist rather an old saying. I'm sure it varies from situation from situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..