Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    OT: Has anyone confirmed this on their own PC or was this news jsut a rumor spread by the entertainment industry?
    Did you even read the article? uTorrent's parent company confirmed the mining software is bundled with the latest version, it just doesn't silently install but appears as an innocuous "accept/decline" option.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you believe your device is protected from Virus which infects a a virtual system you're gonna have a bad time.

OT: Has anyone confirmed this on their own PC or was this news jsut a rumor spread by the entertainment industry?
    It's real. PUP.Optional.EpicSale.

Deleted
    Well, BitTorrent / uTorrent themselves admitted it so; http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/9506...-instructions/

Edit:
    Mind you, they claim they've "suspended the offering" so it shouldn't install it any more. Since I don't want to test it, even in a VM, I can't say whether this is the case.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Well, BitTorrent / uTorrent themselves admitted it so; http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/9506...-instructions/

Edit:
    Mind you, they claim they've "suspended the offering" so it shouldn't install it any more. Since I don't want to test it, even in a VM, I can't say whether this is the case.
    It's truly sinister, if PC users were really unwashed plebs that didn't know how to use their own rig they would've made serious bank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    It's truly sinister, if PC users were really unwashed plebs that didn't know how to use their own rig they would've made serious bank.
    Many are, and they will. Good news is that it's just bitcoin, so I doubt they're going to get rich from it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    qBittorrent has been fairly solid. http://www.qbittorrent.org/ open source, yada yada...
    They're already on a good start not trying to install toolbars on my computer...

- - - Updated - - -

Many are, and they will. Good news is that it's just bitcoin, so I doubt they're going to get rich from it.
    Isn't even having one bitcoin a lot of money or did it tank after the giant hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Guess earning money from ads is no longer enough for them... is this even legal?
    Yes, it's perfectly legal because they aren't sneaking anything in at all. There is a button that says agree and one that says disagree. If you click agree it installs that extra bit in. If you click disagree it doesn't.

It's pretty simple and not at all illegal because you agree to it. Maybe people should take more than 5 seconds to read what they're actually agreeing to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Yes, it's perfectly legal because they aren't sneaking anything in at all. There is a button that says agree and one that says disagree. If you click agree it installs that extra bit in. If you click disagree it doesn't.

It's pretty simple and not at all illegal because you agree to it. Maybe people should take more than 5 seconds to read what they're actually agreeing to.
    But it isn't 5 seconds, it's like reading a mini-version of The Prince every time.

They're already on a good start not trying to install toolbars on my computer...
    - - - Updated - - -
    Isn't even having one bitcoin a lot of money or did it tank after the giant hype?
    Thirded. qBittorrent has replaced uTorrent for me.

One bitcoin is worth a lot... but the cost (in time & electricity) to get there is prohibitive considering you can buy specialized machines that do thousands of times better for less electricity than $random_cheap_computer.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

10+ Year Old Account
    Current exchange rate is around 300$ to 1, but with the loss of the Silk Road there's not a lot you can do with them. I just find the whole idea of an unbacked currency to be a bit silly. It's like the tulip thing all over again. Sure, money is there to be made, but like beanie babies, I think people will wake up one morning and find their collection worthless.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2015-03-10 at 04:23 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    Thirded. qBittorrent has replaced uTorrent for me.

One bitcoin is worth a lot... but the cost (in time & electricity) to get there is prohibitive considering you can buy specialized machines that do thousands of times better for less electricity than $random_cheap_computer.
    But having other computers mine for you would pretty much null out that cost since it's on everyone elses' electricity bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current exchange rate is around 300$ to 1, but with the loss of the Silk Road there's not a lot you can do with them. I just find the whole idea of an unbacked currency to be a bit silly. It's like the tulip thing all over again. Sure, money is there to be made, but like beanie babies, I think people will wake up one morning and find their collection worthless.
    And only then will the circlejerk on /r/bitcoin will stop.

i wonder if vuze has that too, i just updated it after about 6 months, had a bunch of "features" i could install, but i declined them all

15+ Year Old Account
    This is why I never just fly through the installer when installing shit. I read every single page to make sure I'm not installing something I'm not wanting to.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"