Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    This is entirely bullshit.

The internet was created for exactly this reason. The unadulterated exchange of information. Flow of thought. If you say something on the internet, it is out there for everyone to see that this opinion exists. I might want to say things on the internet which express my inner, genuine feelings. But social pressure and norms make it impossible to voice these thoughts in public.

Sorry but your mentality is that of a small child who got bullied and now wants to "show them all".

Nah, don't freaking touch my internet and stop tracking me down for my thoughts. I mean seriously, at the end of the day what was their punishment? Expelled from school, fired from job. Was there even a law suit going on against them? Were the Schilling's able to press charges? No? Shows me how much they have actually done wrong. Seems more like a social punishment to me. A father's personal vendetta against those who said "bad things about his angel".

For fucks sake, we are literally destroying the internet's anonymity. Just stop it already and instead learn not to feed the troll.
    So much clueless in one post it is quite amazing. Cudos sir for coming up with this epic croc of shit.

This is entirely bullshit.
    No, it isn't.

The internet was created for exactly this reason.
    No, it wasn't.

Stay classy, GenOT. Ignoring all points, focusing on a bit here and there where I made some mistakes in unimportant shit like why the internet was created. It's anonymity that made it so big, otherwise I quite doubt anybody would fucking bother using it.

If you disagree, feel free to write all your detailed information in your signature, so that I know who is standing behind what he's saying here.

Or lemme just doxx you, because I don't like what you're saying. Some guys have even been insulting, while the mods cared jack shit about infractions whatsoever. So I guess that would be fair, since the official channels seem to be busy.

No fucking surprise I quit having any discussions here, don't even know why I bothered actually voicing an opinion. It's all shit for you, but nobody actually bothers with an articulate answer.

Fuck it.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2015-03-11 at 04:57 PM.

Deleted
    She does have an impressive pair of jugs in fairness.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stay classy, GenOT. Ignoring all points, focusing on a bit here and there where I made some mistakes in unimportant shit like why the internet was created. It's anonymity that made it so big, otherwise I quite doubt anybody would fucking bother using it.

If you disagree, feel free to write all your detailed information in your signature, so that I know who is standing behind what he's saying here.

Or lemme just doxx you, because I don't like what you're saying. Some guys have even been insulting, while the mods cared jack shit about infractions whatsoever. So I guess that would be fair, since the official channels seem to be busy.

No fucking surprise I quit having any discussions here, don't even know why I bothered actually voicing an opinion. It's all shit for you, but nobody actually bothers with an articulate answer.

Fuck it.
    MMO-C is actually a lot more civil than a lot of other forums that I've seen/frequented. Any time you bring up a topic for discussion on the internet that is even remotely controversial, you are going to get a lot of argument, and some of those posters making arguments are going to attack you using fallacious arguments, or just insult you directly.

Just like you advocated that Curt Schilling should have just ignored the comments against his daughter, so too should you ignore the other commenters in the thread that are arguing disingenously or are trolling. There is also an ignore function for the forums too, if you find a certain poster REALLY annoying.

Just let the trolls/flames slide off you, and continue to engage the posters that post and debate civilly. There are a few posters who I always take the time to read their posts, because they always seem to post constructive, well thought out comments (Bovinity Divinity is one that comes to mind for me). Don't let the idiots on the internet get you down... there are a lot of them. Also, don't get so emotionally involved in an argument that you are unwilling to hear the other side's point of view, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    MMO-C is actually a lot more civil than a lot of other forums that I've seen/frequented. Any time you bring up a topic for discussion on the internet that is even remotely controversial, you are going to get a lot of argument, and some of those posters making arguments are going to attack you using fallacious arguments, or just insult you directly.

Just like you advocated that Curt Schilling should have just ignored the comments against his daughter, so too should you ignore the other commenters in the thread that are arguing disingenously or are trolling. There is also an ignore function for the forums too, if you find a certain poster REALLY annoying.

Just let the trolls/flames slide off you, and continue to engage the posters that post and debate civilly. There are a few posters who I always take the time to read their posts, because they always seem to post constructive, well thought out comments (Bovinity Divinity is one that comes to mind for me). Don't let the idiots on the internet get you down... there are a lot of them. Also, don't get so emotionally involved in an argument that you are unwilling to hear the other side's point of view, either.

Fair enough. I am not unwilling though. It's just that, in this particular thread, the circle jerk was so immensely strong, and when I tried not to participate, most people who said "serves those trolls right", resorted to ad hominem and trolling.

How can you not point out the obvious hypocrisy?

And I was devastated by the fact that, after arguing for the use of official channels and saying how easy it is to get rid of trolls using them, the mods decided to freaking leave it all be, despite reports being sent, basically just completely disproving me.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2015-03-11 at 05:11 PM.

It just confirms my reports are ignored ;-; I tried reporting a few honestly and nothing.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

Fair enough. I am not unwilling though. It's just that, in this particular thread, the circle jerk was so immensely strong, and when I tried not to participate, most people who said "serves those trolls right", resorted to ad hominem and trolling.

How can you not point out the obvious hypocrisy?

And I was devastated by the fact that, after arguing for the use of official channels and saying how easy it is to get rid of trolls using them, the mods decided to freaking leave it all be, despite reports being sent, basically just completely disproving me.
    There is definitely hypocrisy, and I think I tend to gloss over the posters who do that, and look for those who are really looking to have a discussion.

In the end, I've thought about it, and I think Curt Schilling's actions were wrong, but at the same time I find myself not having a lot of sympathy for the two he outed. Holding this view seems to be a slight hypocrisy in itself, but is the way I feel.

We aren't ignoring your points, we are refuting them wholesale. You just don't like it.
    Again, not only were you wrong about the creation of the Internet or the role of anonymity in its rise, but you are wrong about the role of anonymity there today. The vast, vast usage of the Internet is consumption, not speech, let alone anonymous speech. And the vast amount of consumed content is not authored anonymously, either. The anonymous content is the anomaly.

Terrible straw man. I participate in many online discussions where my full name is used and known, with no consequence because there is herd protection in not being the only identifiable person who can be targeted. Just because no one wants to draw particular attention to themselves doesn't mean anonymity is necessary for discussion, even heated discussion. Plenty of sites are switching to non-anonymous comments, and with good results.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    We aren't ignoring your points, we are refuting them wholesale. You just don't like it.
    Totally wrong. I have no issues with being proven wrong. But I will never accept an answer like "you are wrong, because you are wrong. But I won't bother actually proving my point. And if you post again, it just proves that you are a rapist and misogynist and troll and scum".

Again, not only were you wrong about the creation of the Internet or the role of anonymity in its rise, but you are wrong about the role of anonymity there today. The vast, vast usage of the Internet is consumption, not speech, let alone anonymous speech. And the vast amount of consumed content is not authored anonymously, either. The anonymous content is the anomaly.
    I know specifically how the internet came to be. I know the history well, but it is wrong to assume that I was even referring to the actual creation of the internet. I was merely referring to the fact the internet became popular because of its anonymity. You didn't even prove me wrong, you just said I'm wrong. Where is your proof? That most of the content online is not anonymous? That's just plain wrong. Only the smallest part of the internet is actually available via Google. The non-anonymous part of the internet are the corporations and individuals making money with it. Nobody else really wants to be known by name, or wants it to be publicly known which sites he just used.

There is a reason why so many people freak out when we talk about mass data storage, Facebook never deleting anything you ever post, NSA scandals. The list goes on forever. People using the internet, for the majority, do not wish to be identified and each person has his own reasoning for it. And it isn't always "you've got something to hide, you criminal".

Terrible straw man. I participate in many online discussions where my full name is used and known, with no consequence because there is herd protection in not being the only identifiable person who can be targeted. Just because no one wants to draw particular attention to themselves doesn't mean anonymity is necessary for discussion, even heated discussion. Plenty of sites are switching to non-anonymous comments, and with good results.
    Calling out the hypocrite is not a straw man. A person who agrees that that trolls and abusers should be doxxed cannot use ad hominem one post later calling others idiots for disagreeing with him. It doesn't make him any better than the accused troll who got doxxed. And if people have no issue with their names being public, I do wonder why you see this as a strawman?

And yes yes, I know some websites with non-anonymous comments. Strikes me how many people have the same name there. Jon Doe, Peter Goldberg. I am sure those are legit real life names. And those profile pictures they use. Certainly all people on the internet are super models. You get the drift.

I am not saying that everybody wants to be anonymous on the internet. Just those who still have a shred of principles left in them.

And pls, people acting here as if "anonymous" means untraceable. If police wants to look for you, and you are simply a criminal, I hope they find you. Yet this does not include fathers going on doxxing adventures for their own satisfaction. Unveiling the data of users without legal action and making them public should be a crime.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2015-03-11 at 06:44 PM.

Good for him if it makes just one of these bottom feeders think twice before putting in some vile little hate speech so much the better.

I was merely referring to the fact the internet became popular because of its anonymity. You didn't even prove me wrong, you just said I'm wrong. Where is your proof? That most of the content online is not anonymous? That's just plain wrong. Only the smallest part of the internet is actually available via Google. The non-anonymous part of the internet are the corporations and individuals making money with it. Nobody else really wants to be known by name, or wants it to be publicly known which sites he just used.
    You've gone way off into the weeds here. The context of this discussion is whether or not anonymous speech -- not usage, speech! -- is a vital part of the Internet. Anonymous content consumption has been part of culture since the first written documents.

HTTP is only about 10% of Internet traffic. YouTube is about 20%. The majority is file sharing, and video and music streaming. Go browse the Alexa ranks if you don't believe me about anonymous speech. Besides Reddit, Tumblr and portions of YouTube, most sites are either for content consumption or search. The traffic on the Internet is dominated by the broadcast of small number of known companies and people, and anonymous speech is a blip.
    There is a reason why so many people freak out when we talk about mass data storage, Facebook never deleting anything you ever post, NSA scandals. The list goes on forever. People using the internet, for the majority, do not wish to be identified and each person has his own reasoning for it. And it isn't always "you've got something to hide, you criminal".
    I think I see your main problem. You are one of the loud but misguided individuals who think that most people care about privacy. Sorry to say, most don't. Most people are not freaking out about the issues you listed. Hell, the most popular site is Google, a company that tracks every intimate detail of your online usage, email, location. Practically no one cares.

And if people have no issue with their names being public, I do wonder why you see this as a straw man?
    Asking a user to single themselves out on an anonymous site to draw conclusions about a fully non-anonymous site is a straw man.

I am not saying that everybody wants to be anonymous on the internet. Just those who still have a shred of principles left in them.
    Wow. Just, wow.

And pls, people acting here as if "anonymous" means untraceable. If police wants to look for you, and you are simply a criminal, I hope they find you. Yet this does not include fathers going on doxxing adventures for their own satisfaction. Unveiling the data of users without legal action and making them public should be a crime.
    Ironically, that would put a lot of whistleblowers and journalists in jail. Have you really thought through your opinions?
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

You've gone way off into the weeds here. The context of this discussion is whether or not anonymous speech -- not usage, speech! -- is a vital part of the Internet. Anonymous content consumption has been part of culture since the first written documents.

HTTP is only about 10% of Internet traffic. YouTube is about 20%. The majority is file sharing, and video and music streaming. Go browse the Alexa ranks if you don't believe me about anonymous speech. Besides Reddit, Tumblr and portions of YouTube, most sites are either for content consumption or search. The traffic on the Internet is dominated by the broadcast of small number of known companies and people, and anonymous speech is a blip.
    Anonymity of the internet first started to disappear massively with the appearance of social media as we know it today. Who used their real names and information to register for a file sharing or youtube account back in the days? Only the minuscule part of the people who actually used it professionally. Most people didn't. YouTube especially became big because even the YouTube partners did not have give away their real information, and still don't. They use nicknames in the public. Guess why Google + failed?

Amazon is an example of where real name commenting happens. And there I have to seriously question the authenticity of some names there. In any case, the amount of discussions go back drastically once real id commenting is in place. One can argue that the quality of comments could increase. But I still wonder if it would destroy more than it would bring good.

I think I see your main problem. You are one of the loud but misguided individuals who think that most people care about privacy. Sorry to say, most don't. Most people are not freaking out about the issues you listed. Hell, the most popular site is Google, a company that tracks every intimate detail of your online usage, email, location. Practically no one cares.
    Asking a user to single themselves out on an anonymous site to draw conclusions about a fully non-anonymous site is a straw man.
    Wow. Just, wow.

So because most people have in fact given up on respectable principles, I should, too? And yes, what are your principles? Giving up on the anonymity in order to be able to hold people accountable "for their actions"? When in fact we know that by actions, we mean written words and ideas. Illegal actions, like hacking, are efficiently prosecuted.

It is just a natural reaction to limit your thoughts when you know that people can trace it back to you. It has always been like this.

As to "most people don't care about privacy". That's so silly I actually have no idea what to say about it. Seems like you'd like to live in a glass house. But most people still keep their curtains shut.

Just the fact that your employer will search for your real name and find stuff which he should probably not see. It's private shit after all. Already now this has become common practice. So I guess, why not go all the way through, eh?

Ironically, that would put a lot of whistleblowers and journalists in jail. Have you really thought through your opinions?
    Which basically is also your only strong point, sorry. If you question me directly like this, I guess I would give journalists a special status anyway. If it's real journalism, not some guy doxxing internet celebrities. However, law is law in this specific regard. If Snowden returned to the US, he should be imprisoned. He broke the law. However, I hope that he never returns to the US, because I believe what he did was for the greater good, and it would suck seeing him behind bars.

Fucks sake, the first rule of the internet is to not give away any private data. If the majority of people don't care about that anymore, than the majority of people quickly need to be educated better about it.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2015-03-11 at 10:19 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People do care about privacy, and this is becoming more and more important nowadays. While Google may track all that information about your online information, I believe they use it mostly for internal purposes. Now, if it were to come to public attention that they were sharing this information with certain third parties, then I believe there would be a call for that practice to stop.