Hard Drive question

Hey there, in the process of trying to make a new build and just want some help opinions on what hard drive to get as i see alot of people in builds with roughly the same ones, but i never see this drive pop up, the Velociraptor wd1000dhtz, just wondering as to why that is? as its RPM is higher than all the others by a margin, so can any spread the light as to why its usually not recommended /or if it worth buying?

Thanks in advance.

No, not worth it. Loud, and unnecessary.

Veliciraptor drives are a little faster than standard WD drives but pricey. For the price most people just opt for solid state drives, which are noticeably faster.

Thanks for the replies, well I'm planing on getting a SSD a 1st drive, just looking at what is best for a 2nd drive for stuff i don't need to load so fast, if that drive is noisy and not needed like Fascinate has said (thanks once again for the help), what would you guys recommend in its place?

For a second drive, a 2 or 3 TB Western Digital Black...still good performance if you need it. Price is about right.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Thanks Tradewind, that was the Drive I was looking at before the Velociraptor Popped up, I shall look into that abit more again, thanks for the reply.

Another option to save some cash, if it is really only a storage drive and you will relly not be running anythng off it is to go for a WD Green drive. Yes, they have slower RPM, so load times go up, but they are quieter and cheaper. If you may be installing somethings to it or using it for more than just storage, then get at least a blue. I normally recommend the blues as the blacks are not really much better. For the 10k ones though, they were a thing once, but their time has passed. As ststed above, they are simply not worth the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaped View Post
    Thanks Tradewind, that was the Drive I was looking at before the Velociraptor Popped up, I shall look into that abit more again, thanks for the reply.
    The 2 main differences between the WD Blue and Black are that the Black comes with 3 years extra warranty and that it also comes in 2TB+ versions.
    If all you need is 1TB and don't want to pay 50% more for the extra warranty, go for the Blue instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    If all you need is 1TB and don't want to pay 50% more for the extra warranty, go for the Blue instead.
    And if you need more than 1TB, get a Seagate Barracuda 7200.15 instead. Barracudas are Seagate's version of the WD Blue.

The noise and +$$$ of a WD Black is not worth the marginal latency improvement. WD Blacks, Blues, and Barracudas have equivalent sequential speeds.

Ok, Guys have for all the help I appreciated it alot, I'll definitely look into all the choices that people have recommended and will hopefully have the final pieces I need for the new computer