Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    does cs:go even have a fov slider?
    Of course... no competitive shooter on PC ever not have the possibility to change fov since Q2. People quoting games here clearly never played them in a competitive manners, which is why games like Unreal Tournament (1999), Starsiege: Tribes (1998) and tribes 2 (2001) as not having fov slider get mentioned.

I just happen to have played those game competitively for decades. They all have well known and given commands to change field of views for competitive players. In the exemple of Unreal Tournament 70-120 being the possible field of view settings. Theres no slider, but the dev still given us the options to change it. People just dont understand that pre 2003-2004 PC gaming did not have Console like UI. For exemple Unreal Tournament had a windows like UI, with an open consoles to enter commands. Many options were not available in the menu itself, but were just inputs in the command console and made available via the internet. Only after 2003, was Unreal Tournament 2003 given a fov slider, since the menu was just a copy pasting of Unreal Championship, the first xbox live shooter, with more options.

Last edited by minteK917; 2015-07-19 at 01:39 AM.

Deleted
    This topic ... I can't wait when FPS players will clash with Blizz fanboys in this game.. this is going to be better drama than Hots =]. "OMG how dare he land all those shots while my Soldier76 ult is on CD!! Reduce the CD!!!"

According to the front page they've increased the default FOV as well as putting in the slider.

Blizzard changes their mind about things during development all the time. That's why I advise waiting until something is live to jump to conclusions. Or at least in alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Of course... no competitive shooter on PC ever not have the possibility to change fov since Q2. People quoting games here clearly never played them in a competitive manners, which is why games like Unreal Tournament (1999), Starsiege: Tribes (1998) and tribes 2 (2001) as not having fov slider get mentioned.
    You are correct, I have never given a shit about playing FPS competitively.

I couldn't tell you if UT was "competitive".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    According to the front page they've increased the default FOV as well as putting in the slider.

Blizzard changes their mind about things during development all the time. That's why I advise waiting until something is live to jump to conclusions. Or at least in alpha.

You are correct, I have never given a shit about playing FPS competitively.

I couldn't tell you if UT was "competitive".
    Then your opinion on how Blizz should do to make this game competitive is invalid. Its the whole argument of the "fixed FOV" camp really.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Then your opinion on how Blizz should do to make this game competitive is invalid. Its the whole argument of the "fixed FOV" camp really.
    Hearthstone is a "competitive game" but the vast majority of players don't play it competitively.

HoTS is a "competitive game" but the vast majority of players don't play it competitively.

Same's probably true of LoL, CoD, any "competitive" game you care to name. OW will no doubt be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I made an account for the sole reason of clearing this up.
    Ultimates don't have CDs, you build them up through damage. So you have to be not completely stupid to get them off.

Hearthstone is a "competitive game" but the vast majority of players don't play it competitively.

HoTS is a "competitive game" but the vast majority of players don't play it competitively.

Same's probably true of LoL, CoD, any "competitive" game you care to name. OW will no doubt be the same.
    Thats fine and all, but multiplayer games rarely balance around the masses, especially shooters, since they tend to be just balanced with every side/player having access to everything. Better players understand the mechanics better and are better at exploiting flaws in your balance, hence they are where the balancing should be. The lightning gun in quake might look too strong to a weak player, but a good player have better movement, hence if you nerf it for bad players, its useless against good players.

Counter strike is all about head shot, weaker players are clearly much less accurate at head shotting people. Shooting anywhere else can be literally 3-4 times less damage then a single head shot, should it be removed because most people arent competitive and wont nail head shots almost everytime and takes much longer to kill anyone?

Shooters balance is nothing like moba, mmo, rts, rpg, etc. Because everyone/every team start on the same floor in everyway. Heartstone is a card game for exemple, luck is half of it to begin with and even then from their own cards nerf you can tell blizzard look at the best players and see what they use to make changes at large.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2015-07-20 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think judging and offering criticism based on information and gameplay videos released as well as comments made by Blizzard is in any way jumping to conclusions. If the information changes down the line, then that's great! That's how it's supposed to work, I think.

For now, I'm just happy they changed their minds. Hopefully we'll be able to take a closer look at the new FoV soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    I don't think judging and offering criticism based on information and gameplay videos released as well as comments made by Blizzard is in any way jumping to conclusions. If the information changes down the line, then that's great! That's how it's supposed to work, I think.

For now, I'm just happy they changed their minds. Hopefully we'll be able to take a closer look at the new FoV soon enough.
    Yeah im honestly much more optimistic about this game now, the team on overwatch is demonstrating that they are willing to work for the FPS crowd. Im glad they decided to both increase the base fov and give the slider, it was by far the best move. 75 field of view is just too small for default on pc. If default is real 90 and we can slide between 70-100 itll please most people. Some people like 100, but personally the fish eye view drops my accuracy and i know some old school people that just used 70 for decades that would be pleased.

When you get drunk, the FOV is turned up way high anyways... It's already in the game... I don't see why they don't just add in an option for it.

EDIT: oops thought this was in WoW forums

A field of view slider has been added to the game, and the base field of view has been increased!

Soldier: 76, or a more traditional FPS character, was added to have a more normal hero instead of the current heroes which jump around the map like crazy.

Soldier: 76's real name is set to unknown on the official website because they are revealing the story through verifiable facts.

There will be more articles, bios, and origin movies in the future focusing on character development.

Heroes will interact with each other in-game through hero-specific dialog where appropriate.

They want to make it simple to launch the game and get into a match quickly through matchmaking.

You will be able to leave and join matches which are in progress. If it becomes a problem, they'll reevaluate.

Lessons learned about matchmaking from other Blizzard titles will be applied to Overwatch to make sure it is "great".

They're still experimenting with gamemodes. They want to ensure they aren't too gimmicky and that they don't take away gameplay focus on heroes.

http://www.overpwn.com/

Irrelevant.

You based your whole argument on "but its competitive" then you went on to claim you cared shit about competitive gameplay, which meant you lack proper understanding of the issue at hand to even join in the discussion. High FOV is irrelevant to casual crowd already :\