Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    i won't mind a fov slider
    as long as it's nothing stupid like 120 around a 100-80 field is fine with a default set at around 90 or so, but i hate having insanely big changes on FoV, then it becomes more about using the highest you can to gain a bigger advantage than anything else

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Fixed at 92? I'm fine with that.
    No, it's 75

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    No, it's 75
    And that can basically be the only logical argument to have: whether it's set high enough or not. I wouldn't personally agree with 75 either.
    Last edited by Tidezen; 2015-04-02 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidezen View Post
    There's no way around it; you're trying to get a mechanical advantage over others.
    No you absolutely aren't. For one thing, FOV isn't a mechanical advantage to begin with, and there is no advantage to be gained when that same fov slider or config is available to everyone.

After all.. you DO realize that higher FOV's have a trade off of long range accuracy vs. increased spatial awareness, right?

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    No you absolutely aren't. For one thing, FOV isn't a mechanical advantage to begin with, and there is no advantage to be gained when that same fov slider or config is available to everyone.

After all.. you DO realize that higher FOV's have a trade off of long range accuracy vs. increased spatial awareness, right?
    That sounds great in theory, but it's not in practice. The reason is because FOV scales linearly, while the distortion doesn't. Like looking in a convex mirror, stuff does seem further away in general, but the distortion is less and less when you get to the center of the screen--i.e., where you're aiming. That only makes aiming more difficult if you've got a freakishly high sensitivity set...or an insanely high FOV. With a high FOV you are literally seeing things on the screen that other players cannot see. That is why it's a mechanical advantage, and why any sane player would want it set to the max level allowed by the game. (Assuming it's not something crazy like 210.) You're intentionally handicapping yourself otherwise.

It's simple isn't it? Here's gameplay footage:

Is that FOV likely to cause you problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    *sigh* I suffer from motion sickness and I generally need around 100 FoV for it to be manageable, and woo I have a 16:10 monitor so fuck me right...

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's simple isn't it? Here's gameplay footage:

Is that FOV likely to cause you problems?
    That would be fine for me, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Trithshyl View Post
    *sigh* I suffer from motion sickness and I generally need around 100 FoV for it to be manageable, and woo I have a 16:10 monitor so fuck me right...
    I suffer too, except in the opposite direction. The thing I don't get about Low-FOV motion-sickness is that unless you have a really wide monitor, you're not distorting the screen by setting it too "low". I suppose it's due to a lack of peripheral vision? If you take a proctractor and measure the angle from your eyes to each side of the screen, that's your "normal" FOV for your monitor...that's what it is if you're looking through a window. I think that's largely why this issue has only come up recently--because people are playing with much bigger monitors than they used to. Either that or people are "used" to a bubble-field frame because most games use it these days. Or possibly because they're sitting too close to the screen.

I personally don't want FOV to be fixed to whatever screen-size one has, because that goes back to giving an unfair advantage, same as having a tri-monitor setup would be. I'll get used to it either way, but I'm not going to be a fool and cut my FOV off needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    Most likely just different distance from the monitors at the expo than at home.
    And this has always been the reason people get sick. You need to sit far enough away from your monitor that your eyes register the world outside your monitor. The reason people get sick is because if you sit right on top of your monitor, your eyes are telling your brain you are moving, but your inner ear is telling your brain you are not moving and it confuses your brain. In the real world, if you spin around, your eyes and inner ear both register the movement together. If you spin around in a game while sitting really close to the screen, your eyes and inner ears conflict in what they are telling your brain. When you are on a boat, it is the opposite.. your eyes are telling your brain that you are not moving (if you are looking at the boat), but your inner ear is telling your brain you are moving. The best way to get rid of sea sickness is to look over the side of the boat, so your eyes can register the movement that your ears are telling your brain is happening.

I don't know why people are whining about a FOV of 90-92. People who get motion sickness usually experience it with low FOV like 65-75.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    I don't know why people are whining about a FOV of 90-92. People who get motion sickness usually experience it with low FOV like 65-75.
    Ohhh my-god IT IS 75, IT'S 92 HORIZONTAL, READ THE THREAD

I played it and barely noticed a problem with the FOV, but I'm not a spec junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Ohhh my-god IT IS 75, IT'S 92 HORIZONTAL, READ THE THREAD
    You don't need to, I linked a video of the actual gameplay, watch it and see if it gives you motion sickness.

Yea blizzard really derps out on this... their irrational fear of 21:9 monitors too. It's bullshit that people lose out on options to play the game because of some bullshit theoretical .04% competitive advantage that may or may not even exist. If they wanna ban that shit at tournaments or something, then w/e power too em. For the rest of us that just want an immersive/non-dizzying game, back off.
    "Well shit, ya'll have fun now"

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    It's bullshit that people lose out on options to play the game because of some bullshit theoretical .04% competitive advantage that may or may not even exist.
    I have yet to see anyone look at the actual gameplay footage, which I linked above, and say that it gives them so much motion sickness that they "lose the option to play".

I have yet to see anyone look at the actual gameplay footage, which I linked above, and say that it gives them so much motion sickness that they "lose the option to play".
    Quite right. Anywhere from 75-120...if you can't get used to that, then you honestly haven't played enough FPS before.

I don't think the number is the real issue for people. I think the fact that a basic piece of pc functionality is been left out of a game developed by one if not the biggest pc game developer is

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    , that it would give players who don't use this option an unfair disadvantage against players who would use this....
    Eeeehm, okay?
    True. Motionsicknes for those who are affected isnt a disadvantage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    I don't think the number is the real issue for people. I think the fact that a basic piece of pc functionality is been left out of a game developed by one if not the biggest pc game developer is
    I wouldn't call FOV sliders a basic piece of functionality. Many games don't have one, it's not standard. It's become a big deal among certain people in recent years (I blame TotalBiscuit ^_^).

But seriously 99% of this is people getting offended on behalf of other people they don't even know. If you suffer from motion sickness, the gameplay videos are up on Youtube. I linked them. Play the videos and tell us if you have a problem with that FOV.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call FOV sliders a basic piece of functionality. Many games don't have one, it's not standard. It's become a big deal among certain people in recent years (I blame TotalBiscuit ^_^).

But seriously 99% of this is people getting offended on behalf of other people they don't even know. If you suffer from motion sickness, the gameplay videos are up on Youtube. I linked them. Play the videos and tell us if you have a problem with that FOV.
    The games that don't have it are shit console ports, any fps game built for the pc will have a slider