How much set up is too much set up?

Last night I got a Wii U. I was eager to get into the gaming. What happened was quite a nuisance. Took me over an hour of waiting and following on screen instructions to set it up so I could finally play. I remember back when I got my first system. I would just plug it in and them start playing. While we were waiting on the Wii U set up, my gf looked it up and heard about people having to wait for 3hours or more.

It just got me thinking since the set up was partially downloading up dates. The longer the system is out, the more updates there will obviously be. It makes you wander when it will get to the point where it will just take forever to set up a system and weather or not the set up time could be drastic enough to push someone away.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Last night I got a Wii U. I was eager to get into the gaming. What happened was quite a nuisance. Took me over an hour of waiting and following on screen instructions to set it up so I could finally play. I remember back when I got my first system. I would just plug it in and them start playing. While we were waiting on the Wii U set up, my gf looked it up and heard about people having to wait for 3hours or more.

It just got me thinking since the set up was partially downloading up dates. The longer the system is out, the more updates there will obviously be. It makes you wander when it will get to the point where it will just take forever to set up a system and weather or not the set up time could be drastic enough to push someone away.
    Newer systems usually has most of the old updates already.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno... I got a PS4 last week and was playing within 15 mins. Why did the WiiU take so long to set up?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Nintendo's online services dont mesh well with some routers/modems/providers. You could have the most kick ass internet in the world, but Nintendo is still catching up. That being said, my wii u only took like 10 mins to set up, where as the ps3 i just got for free took me a solid 2 hours just trying to play metal gear 4.
    Comparing shit like the NES and Wii U is kind of silly tho if you think about it. Add me if you smash, wii u name: somedsguy.

Not everyone is meant to be an astronaut
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I dunno... I got a PS4 last week and was playing within 15 mins. Why did the WiiU take so long to set up?
    Damn until I read your post I forgot I even bought a PS4... Shits been laying over on the corner of my desk for over a year untouched... I hope a year of sitting in standby mode hasn't damaged it :P

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Damn until I read your post I forgot I even bought a PS4... Shits been laying over on the corner of my desk for over a year untouched... I hope a year of sitting in standby mode hasn't damaged it :P
    Try pushing some buttons...
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

The longer you wait to get a console, unless you get a more recently manufactured one, the longer it will take to get updates downloaded/installed. It's a cumulative affair. Just like with MMO's, where the later in the game you get into one, the bigger the game download will be and longer it will take to install.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Try pushing some buttons...
    I don't wanna plug it into my monitor... Too lazy... Must... Not........ Move.

Don't buy a Playstation and not use it for a month or two. It might be another month or two before you can play it again from installing updates. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Could be slow DL speeds. I usually have no issues with my WiiU. A couple of min per update and it's ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The longer you wait to get a console, unless you get a more recently manufactured one, the longer it will take to get updates downloaded/installed. It's a cumulative affair. Just like with MMO's, where the later in the game you get into one, the bigger the game download will be and longer it will take to install.
    To add to this the games will have the latest updates at the time of them being finished on the disc.

If you had a very recent game like Smash or Kirby putting in the disc would have installed the updates a hell of a lot faster then waiting on the Wii U to download them. Then you would of been only 1 or 2 updates behind if any.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-03-11 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too much is when my brain shuts off... >.>
    I pretty much expect it now for new systems. Like for the Vita I got, since I got the PCH-2000 version I only had to download one update and was done, granted I could've just not go online. Though if I got it now I'd probably have to go through 4 updates worth of download, random number.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember back when I got my first system. I would just plug it in and them start playing.
    systems from that long ago also were not very techy-ish either. look at what a new system today can do vs what they could not do 20 yrs ago?

a Nintendo 8 bit didnt even know wtf an internet was. a PS4/Wii-U/X1 act more like gaming computers with wifi and internet capabilities. it takes a bit longer to get everything up and running.

given the amount of possibilities these newer systems can do, ill put up with a bit of setting up in trade.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2015-03-11 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.