Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I wanted to come back to WoW, then I realized I don't want to anymore.

I had started playing WoW back in Wrath, but didn't even start raiding until Cataclysm. I had played up until the last patch of Mists of Pandaria. I had quit the game for a major reason, but about a week ago, I decided to play on a Starter Account and see how I'd like it.

I certainly liked playing again. Doing instances, questing, BGs, and Arenas were pretty cool. Unfortunately, as I was seeing other people just insulting each other in BGs as well as getting bullied in Arenas by players that I did Arenas with, I remembered why I quit in the first place.

The community is still as horrible as ever. The toxicity of this game that has never left is still causing me to stay away from it. It's a major reason why I feel that this game isn't worth paying a subscription for among other reasons already stated by players making "I Quit" threads in the WoW Forums.

If those of you who still play this game can actually handle how bad the community is, then by all means, more power to ya.

I stay out of all PVP and trade chat and dont seem to have any issues.

In fact WoW is now more of a single player game than ever before.

It's also more boring than it's ever been

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't WoW anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by middling View Post
    I stay out of all PVP and trade chat and dont seem to have any issues.

In fact WoW is now more of a single player game than ever before.

It's also more boring than it's ever been
    Well that is what happens when you put in the "LF" feature. Causes communities to become single minded and only communicate when it comes to bad-mouthing someone. Garrisons don't help either (though I enjoyed them at first until I realized what they have done).But that's just because the trivializing on content that makes communicating and keeping manners to a minimum. No repercussions from not working as a team. It's sad to say but true in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    This isn't WoW anymore.
    Never a truer statement has been made.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't WoW anymore.
    Agreed as well, its WoS. World of Singlecraft

This isn't WoW anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Walter- View Post
    Never a truer statement has been made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomorepuns View Post
    Agreed as well, its WoS. World of Singlecraft
    Going to be pedantic for a second but technically it IS still World of Warcraft; says so on the box and login screen. It is just not the World of Warcraft that you loved and/or remembered.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool story, bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    It is just not the World of Warcraft that you loved and/or remembered.
    Yeah. It was fairly well understood, but thanks for clearing it up WoD looks NOTHING like TBC (where I started) or Wrath (my favorite expansion).

I love my guildies and there are a ton of cool people on my server. I've met friends in WOW that I now know outside of the game.

Trade chat can be turned off if it bothers me. Sometimes its annoying and I turn it off. Recently on my server its been pretty funny so I keep it on and join in the idiocy occasionally.

I don't do much PVP in most games I play. Why? Because by nature you are going head to head with other players and there will be some shit talking. That's the just nature of it. Go to the park and jump in a pick up bball game. There is gonna be some shit talking. Sometimes I don't feel like pounding my chest to see who the alpha male is. Other times it sounds like fun to go get in a brawl and talk some crap.

I won't argue that online games (not just WOW... all of them) can be pretty rough. There is definitely a playground mentality in many situations. But I will also argue that some of what the community is, is what you make of it. If you go looking for trouble you are gonna find it. If you go into a dungeon run with expectations of skipping and holding hands you are gonna be disappointed. If your skin is particularly thin you might want to avoid a lot of online interaction whether PVP or co-op.

For me, over the years I've learned to set my expectation level. Not to be surprised by others behavior. Don't let a few bad occurrences overshadow the good ones. Get out of a bad group quickly and don't look back. Ignore trolls. Understand that someone might just be having a bad day. That there are potentially little kids behind an avatar so be careful what I say. Find a good guild/clan/friends to play with so I am not at the whims of random match makers or pugs.

Sorry you have bad experiences with WOW. However, I don't think its fair to label an entire community as toxic.

Deleted
    I dont see any community difference between wrath and now tbh. I can't remember people not being upset in battlegrounds in wotlk when other people don't do objectives and whatev.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonfireEX402 View Post
    If those of you who still play this game can actually handle how bad the community is, then by all means, more power to ya.
    The community has been this bad ever since Wrath, people that can't handle how bad it is have quit a long time ago. As long as it isn't as bad as LoL's I'll be able to survive though, you just need a bit of thick skin.

It probably depends on server, but community took a nosedive in Cata and has never recovered.

I had always planned on buying WoD, but as time went it on there was nothing exciting about it. The increased price, the facebookization of the game. Even if they were selling the expack for $5 at this point I'm not sure I'd come back, even just for a month. I had 7 free days in WoD, and honestly it just seemed kind of meh. MoP was the expack that finally made be quit(around end of 4.3) after having been around since vanilla, but how many times can you give something a "second chance" before giving up on it.

This isn't WoW anymore.
    true statement

The community has always been terrible. This isnt anything new.

This isn't WoW anymore.
    This. Things have changed too much and to the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    It probably depends on server, but community took a nosedive in Cata and has never recovered.
    Fully agree there. The sad reality is, if I had to tell an old school in-game friend and former player(fellow Warlock too) about anything he missed from Cataclysm all the way to WoD it's pretty much one thing, the Warlock chain quest. Aside from that, he missed absolutely nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chase123 View Post
    Not at all. Not sure when you started playing but I started in TBC. Back then on our realm, literally everyone knew and helped each other. Whoever was rude or disrespectful to newbies or even experienced players was never tolerated and almost immediately eradicated and ignored. People actually whispered each other and grouped up for various activities in-game. It only got better in WoTLK. Then Cataclysm came and everything went downhill rather fast from then.

I would honestly feel zero difference if I was guildless or in a guild nowadays.

The wow subreddit is pretty supportive, but if you expect general or trade chats in any game to be overwhelmingly positive, you should probably read up on the Internet.

Furthermore, I get all the community I need in my guild.

Sometimes I can't help but think when all the mopey whiners leave, it'll be better for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by chase123 View Post
    Some of the biggest assholes I met online were from Vanilla and TBC, the biggest difference now is you don't have engage those people to get stuff done. Oh the days of not being able to do Heroics with certain guilds because they would steal your Raid ID (it happened way to often during TBC).
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    Some of the biggest assholes I met online were from Vanilla and TBC, the biggest difference now is you don't have engage those people to get stuff done. Oh the days of not being able to do Heroics with certain guilds because they would steal your Raid ID (it happened way to often during TBC).
    I'm calling bullshit on that statement. I suspect you have an agenda. Many people would claim the exact opposite of you.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **