Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    A future ruling will determine that. They can and will attempt and a court will rule if that is good or not and that ruling will be one of the first definitions of reasonable.
    Just added that in there heh. Sort of. Depends how much trust one has in the court's understanding.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Just added that in there heh. Sort of. Depends how much trust one has in the court's understanding.
    Depends on the lawyers most of the time. Judges will be informed on all details by the lawyers. The big companies don't always win btw. Look at why the EPA is still around

Depends on the lawyers most of the time. Judges will be informed on all details by the lawyers. The big companies don't always win btw. Look at why the EPA is still around
    Not sure if you've ever been involved in lawsuits, but I can promise you that most judges know nothing about technology, and the lawyers know even less.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not block lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management.

So, does this mean that internet providers can no longer threaten to eliminate someone's paid access if they don't stop things like torrenting? With no legal cases successfully hitting people who download materials, that's been the primary way in the US to hit them.
    I'd say the bolded part is the important part there. Torrenting of videos/music if you have not paid for license to view/listen to them would not fall under "Lawful content".

And again, that's just the summary of the full text of the bill. They (probably) go into more detail in the body of the bill itself.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Not sure if you've ever been involved in lawsuits, but I can promise you that most judges know nothing about technology, and the lawyers know even less.
    I work for a few. You cant get into some fields with out a background in the topic. IP lawyers basically require a hard science degree to even be considered for a job. (any worth a damn will be an engineer, bio, or physics major and potentially even have medical degrees, and its the ones worth a damn who tend to do these kinds of cases)

I also will disagree on judges. It depends on which judge you get. Some judges hear the same types of cases over and over and used to be a lawyer in that field. Some are not and tend to be the general public type.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2015-03-12 at 06:29 PM.

I also will disagree on judges. It depends on which judge you get. Some judges hear the same types of cases over and over and used to be a lawyer in that field. Some are not and tend to be the general public type.
    I won't go into full details. I'll just say I've been present at some patent cases and I wanted to see if I could break the chair in front of me with my face. I'm guessing the judge was thinking the same thing, although his seat has more things to hit with a face so he might have been considering those options.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't go into full details. I'll just say I've been present at some patent cases and I wanted to see if I could break the chair in front of me with my face. I'm guessing the judge was thinking the same thing, although his seat has more things to hit with a face so he might have been considering those options.
    Never said they were all perfect. Plenty of lawyers suck, plenty are amazing and i am willing to bet comcast will hire the best as would netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not block lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management.

So, does this mean that internet providers can no longer threaten to eliminate someone's paid access if they don't stop things like torrenting? With no legal cases successfully hitting people who download materials, that's been the primary way in the US to hit them.
    Torrenting is covered under DMCA. If you ever get a e-mail it looks like the one I got before. I edited out my ISP's name

"'Dear Customer,

This message is to advise that ___________ has received a notice claiming that you are using your _____________ service to post or transmit material in violation of U.S. Copyright law. We have included a copy of the complaint, which identifies the party raising it and the material claimed to be infringing.

We ask that you review the complaint and, if it is valid, promptly remove or disable access to the infringing material. If you disagree with the claims in the notice, you should contact the sender, and not _____, to resolve the matter.

As an Internet Service Provider, _______ is responsible, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), to advise when we receive a notice asserting infringement by you. We are also required to take appropriate action if further claims are received that you do not resolve.
    The material that you post or share online is your responsibility. _____________ encourages responsible Internet use, but we do not monitor nor control the information you share. We have a duty, however, to take progressive steps when we received complaints of infringement.

If we continue to receive infringement claims such as this one, concerning your use of our service, we will suspend your account and disable your Internet connection until you confirm you have removed the infringing material. ""

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    If we continue to receive infringement claims such as this one, concerning your use of our service, we will suspend your account and disable your Internet connection until you confirm you have removed the infringing material. ""
    Yeah, that's just a standard DMCA notice. It's only tangentially related to net neutrality.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For all the huff the "we weren't allowed to read it!" crowd was giving I'm surprised more of them haven't popped up here. Hmm. A few hundred pages is a lot to go through, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    For all the huff the "we weren't allowed to read it!" crowd was giving I'm surprised more of them haven't popped up here. Hmm. A few hundred pages is a lot to go through, I suppose.
    They should release all new bills, laws, and regulations in infogram form.

15+ Year Old Account
    They should release all new bills, laws, and regulations in infogram form.
    https://www.govtrack.us/

It's pretty handy if you don't trust the media to be honest.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...monthly-bills/

Looks like people are starting to read the new rules and are liking them. Very funny image from that article

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Looks like people are starting to read the new rules and are liking them. Very funny image from that article
    Crazy part is it's more clear then my Comcast bill. Comcast doesn't itemize. They just charge me 270$ a month (or as low as 230 or as high as 290 depending on how grumpy they feel I guess) without anything telling me what the charges cover. I've tried calling them to ask and they seem to honestly not know.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-