Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeh imo amd vs intel it doesnt matter it all depends on what you want from your system, Not everyone is a fan of Real Madrid some people like the underdog in Scunthorpe United.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetti View Post
    try playing mmos with amd
    I do this and have zero issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    and yet 4 of the top 10 of the TOP500 are Xeon E5's versus one Opteron AMD's share is about on par with IBM's in that race and not expanding (historically that is), both are dwarfed by Intel's share 3-4x over.
    One Opteron at 2nd place in the list, with very competitive performance per watt compared to Intel based systems. Wouldn't count them out of the race yet even if it's dominated by Intel atm.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    One Opteron at 2nd place in the list, with very competitive performance per watt compared to Intel based systems. Wouldn't count them out of the race yet even if it's dominated by Intel atm.
    Though Titan was built to showcase Nvidia Tesla :E Piz Daint, a comparable E5+Tesla supercomputer is incredibly more efficient compared to Titan, it's just much smaller.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigo View Post
    So my Pc will play my game for me then?
    Yes, but the i3 could have played it better for less. Seeing as the thread title is why do gamers choose intel over AMD, this answers that question. The i3 will perform better for less $$$.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD will probably take the speed crown again once R9 300's launch, because that's how it goes. The company that has the newest flagship card out is usually the speed king for few months.
    I was responding to the blanket statement about AMD GPU's being inferior across the board. They simply aren't. AMD GPU's have taken years of bullshit from NVIDIA fanboys who swear up and down that NVIDIA is just 'always better'. In many cases the AMD hardware is flat out better, they just can't put a driver package together to save their lives so the overall cards performance suffers.

For the purpose of this thread. Intel is kickin AMD in the pants in terms of CPU's. AMD was banking on all this crazy super multithreading being the next big thing and well..it just isn't. I don't know if they hoped the marketing hype would sell enough processors to make it worth while or what.

Full disclosure. I am running a brand new I5 Devils Canyon and an XFX R9 290 atm. To say that it is fast would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    In many cases the AMD hardware is flat out better, they just can't put a driver package together to save their lives so the overall cards performance suffers.
    Nope. That also seems to switch places every few years. AMD did have better hardware during Radeon 4k/5k/6k lineup, but since GTX 7xx and 9xx series Nvidia has had superior hardware (same or better performance with half the power draw). Rumors of R9 3xx cards are pretty wild and if they're true AMD will have big technical superiority on VRAM, but I'm really worried about AIO water cooling shipping with the cards indicating their power draw is even more out of control.

ATI had terribad coders working on the drivers, but AMD sorted out most of the problems years ago... Except for that bloatware CCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dern View Post
    I had until this xpack a 6 year old pc with AMD CPU in it and it worked perfectly fine up until 5.4. now i changed my PC for a intel because i had a good deal not because i think its better. and i never try my old system with the new xpack so wouldn't be able to tell you if WOD made things easier to run for my old rig, but anyways AMD did it just fine for the last 6 years for me
    Bolded why I choose Intel. There's a difference between running "fine" and being the best. "Just fine" is obviously okay with you, but it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetti View Post
    try playing mmos with amd
    I do, works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Did that for 4 years on a tower PC and it was no problem....

After that I needed a laptop to work and play on (because.....reasons) and ended again with Intel. Very happy. But really because the laptp I wanted only had a choice of Intel and NVidia chips
    It may have been no problem, but you could have gotten better performance for the same price or less out of an intel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I do, works just fine.
    Maybe you are satisfied with "just fine" but most are not. For the same price or less you could have been "good/great" instead of "just fine."

10+ Year Old Account
    Competitive yes, better... not right now.

On single GPU cards GTX980 beats R9 290x in pretty much every benchmark today because of better overclockability. And why would you bring Titan to the table, or do you perhaps want to compare the professional card to AMD's FirePro line?

AMD will probably take the speed crown again once R9 300's launch, because that's how it goes. The company that has the newest flagship card out is usually the speed king for few months.

- - - Updated - - -

With 800x600 monitor?

1920x1080 would see those fps numbers less than half of what you claim.
    I have the GTX 760 SC 4GGB and its similar to his card @ 1920x1080 In world I get well over 170+ fps, In bg's 100~ fps and in a major city between 70-90fps in org(Area 52). Only difference is im running the Intel i5 3570k @ 3.8ghz?
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

15+ Year Old Account
    Intel has repeatedly bet AMD in most gaming benchmarks for a while. That is why.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The problem is consumers see AMD has more cores and runs at the same or higher frequency for less money, but as we all know that isnt what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurushock View Post
    With wow being my main game I get 80-140 fps in open world, 25-45 fps during world bosses with more than 40 people. 20man mythic I get around 45-65 fps during boss fights.
    FPS in bold is for an AMD cpu at 4.7/5ghz while an Intel one get that fps at ~3.3ghz which is about stock speed. This results in lower temps, less watts and overclocking on demand. This is the reasons why I've got from AMD to Intel.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

I would have to say that it is a combination of brand-fanaticism and lemming comments that coerce many and most to a certain brand without fully analyzing comparable products. The current thread about iWatch's success is another example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    I would have to say that it is a combination of brand-fanaticism and lemming comments that coerce many and most to a certain brand without fully analyzing comparable products. The current thread about iWatch's success is another example of this.
    AMD doesn't have anything on the table worth analyzing. That's why high-end users that don't have to stick to mommy and daddys allotted 500 dollar budget can actually get true enthusiast grade performance. We pay more, sure, but we also get superior parts.

AMD = Toyota Corolla
    Intel = Lexus IS

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    ... or maybe its the part where there isnt a single price point where an AMD part outperforms the price-equivalent Intel part.

Not one.

AND the Intel parts perform better for what the majority of people here are worried about - gaming.

Deleted
    Nope. That also seems to switch places every few years. AMD did have better hardware during Radeon 4k/5k/6k lineup, but since GTX 7xx and 9xx series Nvidia has had superior hardware (same or better performance with half the power draw). Rumors of R9 3xx cards are pretty wild and if they're true AMD will have big technical superiority on VRAM, but I'm really worried about AIO water cooling shipping with the cards indicating their power draw is even more out of control.
    Hmmm, the 7xx series had lower power consumption, but not half. They were quite close to each other. Just compare the 780ti vs 290x.

And everyone seems to have a hard on for lower power consumption since the 9xx series launched. I quit like it that AMD is stepping up their reference cooler. Everyone (the general public) still thinks that the R9 2xx series runs hot, which they don't with a custom cooler.

I would just wait until it is launched.

As for the CPU side of things. Maybe AMD Zen will change it up again. They will use a similar processing style as Intel, SMT. Rumors having it launch somewhere in 2016/2017, so still some time away. Maybe if AMD can get competitive again on the CPU market, we can see some steps their as well. Maybe then I can see the need to upgrade my 2500k....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigo View Post
    Well let me just get this out there. I have a amd 8320fx and a msi R9 270x and progession on [The Blast Furnace] on ultra running at 120fps
    Bullshit ...

No you arent. I have a 8320 and a 270X as well, the 8320 is oc to 4.5Ghz and in raids on high I pull 40-55 with it. Its sitting in my garage collecting dust. Look back through my posts, you'll see where I had a discussion about said system when I bought the parts as I got them at a really good price. Its shit compared to any Intel setup.

Try that shit elswhere, we all know how the FX line performs in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Bullshit ...

No you arent. I have a 8320 and a 270X as well, the 8320 is oc to 4.5Ghz and in raids on high I pull 40-55 with it. Its sitting in my garage collecting dust. Look back through my posts, you'll see where I had a discussion about said system when I bought the parts as I got them at a really good price. Its shit compared to any Intel setup.

Try that shit elswhere, we all know how the FX line performs in wow.

So, I'm thinking thats just you dude. Not to be an ass or anything, But I run an FX8350 and does pull over 100fps in a raid setting. (On Ultra Settings obviously). Now the difference we are having maybe in the GPU's as you both run an AMD card where I run Nvidia (GTX 960 SLI). But I have never once struggled with my AMD cpu. For the record obviously the SLI is new. Before that I was running a 560ti (single card).Yes we all know Intel is better, and yes I probably could be running even better with one, but AMD is a completely capable CPU.

* Side note to OP. If your building you first rig or have little experience with computers just go Intel. AMD will require things like Overclocking and the needed knowledge that comes with these things, Where as Intel is just as good or better with out messing with it.