Page 1 of 29
... LastLast

Hiring women only - this actually happened

Ok, so Google just posted a message on various social networks groups of students in my country, a message that i found appalling. not many people seem to agree with me, Many said that women deserve special benefits because of god knows what, but when I read it, I actually went "this is a troll. This can't be real."

I'll translate it, but you should know that in my native language, there is a different word for female jobs and male jobs. like female student is not said same way as male student, female programmer is not said same way as male programmer, so it may come a little weird, but the message is the same.

WORK AT GOOGLE DURING THE SUMMER VACATION FOR FEMALE STUDENTS AS A FEMALE PROGRAM ENGINEER

"Google are looking for female computer science students (women only) in their first or second year with good grades thus far, as part of Google's goal of hiring under-represented groups in the hi-tech industry. The job is as a female programmer in the R&D department, not QA. No earlier experience is necessary.
    It is highly recommended to sign up, as many female students continue onwards to work with us after they finish their diplomas as well, and getting a job in Google without this ease of access is very difficult."

I study computer science, i'm a man sadly, and working at Google's R&D department, even just for a summer, would be a dream come true for me and many others. Just about every job in the hi-tech industry requires extensive previous experience, but women apparently can get a summer job (and beyond) in Google, without having any previous experience. Why? Because reasons.

Imagine if that add said "hiring men only" or "hiring whites / jews / muslims only" or whatever. Can you imagine the shitstorm? I don't understand how this is even legal.

Thoughts?

Deleted
    An attempt to diversify the workplace... It sucks, but you just gotta live with it.

Screw that. The person most qualified for the job should get the job, regardless of color / sex / ethnic background / whatever. Even if the company ends up all being same group, so what? what's wrong with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    Thoughts?
    Life as a white, heterosexual, middle class male is a piece of cake, so why not throw the others a few crumbs every now and then?

Deleted
    Even if the company ends up all being same group, so what? what's wrong with that?
    It hurts productivity, limits customer base and there's less creativity in gender-uniform workplaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Life as a white, heterosexual, middle class male is a piece of cake, so why not throw the others a few crumbs every now and then?
    Because as far as I know (and I may be wrong on this, but would require proof), this is not 1930 anymore. caucasian middle class males are exactly as privileged as any other group, including caucasian women, african women, asian men, whatever. Looking at the society I live in, I can't tell you that I see that I'm more (or less) privileged than anyone else. Exactly the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Bullshit. I work at Google and I've never heard of anything like this.
    Link?

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    It is ridiculous, if they were advertising male only jobs, the internet would be going crazy now. Depending on where you are from it may or may not be legal.

Because according to some people discriminating on the basis of sex or race is only wrong if you are discriminating against some chosen groups...
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

There's only like 6 female computer science majors. How much competition can they give you?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I pray this is a joke but being GenOT it'd not surprise me if it wasn't..
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Just about every job in the hi-tech industry requires extensive previous experience, but women apparently can get a summer job (and beyond) in Google, without having any previous experience. Why? Because reasons.

Imagine if that add said "hiring men only" or "hiring whites / jews / muslims only" or whatever. Can you imagine the shitstorm? I don't understand how this is even legal.

Thoughts?
    Well, since as they said, their goal was to expand the presence and access of women in a highly under-represented field, in which women aren't ABLE to get experience, not including that restriction seems to align with their stated objectives. Also, see what I just said as to "Because reasons."

Also, they're advertising that they're looking for women applicants. It doesn't appear that the ad said that Google has decided to never hire another male ever. I would presume that it is legal because they are not excluding men from consideration for positions, just that they're trying to give women a shot at breaking into the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by st33l View Post
    What Bullshit. I work at Google and I've never heard of anything like this.
    Link?
    I can give you a link or a screenshot, but it's in hebrew. Will you be able to translate it?

"Thoughts"

This thread will soon be full of comments about the oppression of men and moaning about SJWs.

You could write to Google expressing your desire to work for them during the holidays, outlining your strengths and suitability to a role within their business, companies are always on the lookout strong potential employees.

Deleted
    I can't tell you that I see that I'm more (or less) privileged than anyone else. Exactly the same.
    Well, you kind of are.

Deleted
    Wouldn't it still be possible to apply for a summer job at Google, through some other means for the same form of job?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I pray this is a joke but being GenOT it'd not surprise me if it wasn't..
    I'm a white, heterosexual, middle class male and my life is a piece of cake, as it is for my peers, and if you are likewise and don't find that to be the case, then you're doing something very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    They want diversity. They do it with skin color too.
    The want is there but I think method is off. Fighting discrimination with discrimination is a bad practice imo. What they should do is simply remove gender/skin color requirement and make it "programmer". And how to get more female programmers? That depends on the schools and culture, it's not really the job of Google to ensure schools are pumping out more female programmers. That is society's job as a whole.

I am a programmer and I do interviews for programmers. Females programmers are out there but they are still minority by a wide margin. And I don't think my job should be getting more female programmers. My job should be getting damn good coders.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Google can do what it pleases. It's doesn't have to answer to anyone but stock holders. If you don't like it, buy some stock and go to the stockholders meeting. They obviously think this holds value for their company as a whole. Your argument is they should hire the best, well they obviously see earnings or innovation potential in doing this. Why is a corporation doing what it thinks is in it's best interest in the long run so scary to you?

they only want diversity as long as it's at someone else's expense. i can't imagine supporters of this practice would say, "you know what, instead of giving me the most qualified heart surgeon, i'll take whatever you have in black or gay".

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel is doing the same or something similar. Welcome to social justice. Equality through disenfranchising the majority.