Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    American tourists.

The reason the euro fell is Greece and the economies of the big EU countries, France, German and Britain not doing well at the moment.

The high euro was Europe paying the US for the Iraq War.
    Germany is an economic powerhouse in the region and Britain and France is also doing decently, its mostly the south of Europe dragging the eurozone down.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle23354139/

German exports fell by the largest amount in five months in January, dropping more than forecast and putting a slight damper on the outlook for Europe’s largest economy, though economists said a weak euro and cheap oil would help in the months ahead.

Seasonally adjusted exports decreased by 2.1 per cent on the month after a sharp rise in December, data from the statistics office showed. They missed the Reuters consensus forecast for a 1.5-per-cent drop and undershot even the lowest estimate for a 2-per-cent decline.

The data for December were revised down to a 2.8-per-cent gain from a previously reported 3.4-per-cent increase.

“It’s a breather for the export sector but it’s not so much a sign of upcoming weakness of the economy,” said ING economist Carsten Brzeski, adding that growth of up to 0.4 per cent was still likely for January-March given strong retail sales, decent industrial output and robust construction activity.

Household spending was the main growth driver in 2014 alongside resurgent investment though foreign trade, which traditionally propelled the economy, did make a contribution to gross domestic product (GDP) after dragging on it in 2013.
    France, Italy and Germany have all been doing poorly in the last 5 years due to Germany's stranglehold on the ECB. The cheap Euro is a way to help Germany only as they make up over 30% of non-Eu exports.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nye isn't a scientist, he just looks like one.
    He graduated from Cornell, and worked for Boeing. He was a mechanical engineer and definitely a scientist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nye isn't a scientist, he just looks like one.
    His background is in engineering, but either way, I used the words "scientific minded" not "scientist," and Nye is certainly very scientific minded.

- - - Updated - - -

Good news for me is that the USD seems to be appreciating against everywhere right now, and I'm leaving for Singapore next week, to stay for like a month. Singapore is usually pretty expensive, but looks like I'll be getting a bit of a discount on the exchange rate. I may also stay a little after to go to Bali or Thailand, which also have favorable shifts in their exchange rates.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Germany is an economic powerhouse in the region and Britain and France is also doing decently, its mostly the south of Europe dragging the eurozone down.
    and you know why they ''drag the eurozone down''? maybe is the stupid austerity policy from germany backfiring soooo hard..... you dont get out of a crisis of this magnitude with austerity, you need to invest money, work, ppl with money in their pockets so they can spend and create more jobs and business... you know capitalism 101. southern europe countries need money and investment to develop industry(modern and reliable) not unnemployment and poberty, ppl need money but germany said ''ey take this money to pay your debts(to me) but you will have even more debts thanks to me!, ah and give money to banks(they lied and had poor management but lets save them) while i relax myself here telling you to cut off any rights your citizens may(still)have''

seriously southern europe need money to re-invest on industry and spend money wisely, not just this stupid austerity policy.

Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    seriously southern europe need money to re-invest on industry and spend money wisely, not just this stupid austerity policy.
    These money are going to ukraine, no chance for eu to see it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Europe stubbornly refuses to cut regulations to stimulate their economies and their interest rates are zero (or lower!) so they can't cut those either. As a result, Europe would likely fall into a recession. The only way out is for their governments to directly enter the market and start buying bonds, which artificially lowers interest rates on bonds. This discourages people from buying bonds and forces them to either buy stocks or (the EU hopes) spend the money instead (to stimulate the economy).

In other words, instead of creating a more business-friendly Europe by cutting regulations, they attack savers. They blame savers.

Meanwhile, the US has ended their bond-buying program and is looking at raising interest rates, which will attract savers (and decrease interest in US stocks).

Taken together you get the following:

1. Stock prices in Europe soar while stock prices in the US enter more of a trading range (savers in the EU are pushed into stocks, savers in the US find bonds more attractive).
    2. The value of the dollar rises against the Euro (as current US monetary policy is growing more saver-friendly than the EU, so people move from Euros to dollars).
    Thanks for mentioning the Zero Lower Bound.

Thanks for mentioning bond prices and interest rates.

The EU does have a way to achieve 'artificial stimulation.'
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Gold is also taking a huge hit ATM which is weird since "usually" when fiat currency takes a dive people invest in gold, well see what happens in the coming weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post

The EU does have a way to achieve 'artificial stimulation.'
    Wasn't that banned recently?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Gold is also taking a huge hit ATM which is weird since "usually" when fiat currency takes a dive people invest in gold, well see what happens in the coming weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't that banned recently?
    The world's biggest reserve currency, the dollar, is appreciating pretty well right now, so globally it makes sense gold would take a hit. Gold has been in a bubble for a while anyway.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I copy pasted everything, take it up with RT. :P
    So you still don´t understand that it´s wrong or you just want to show that you´re stupid, which one is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The world's biggest reserve currency, the dollar, is appreciating pretty well right now, so globally it makes sense gold would take a hit. Gold has been in a bubble for a while anyway.
    Gold has been fluctuating for awhile now, it's a little scarier when the euro takes huge swings like this though. I could only imagine if this happened to the US dollar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So you still don´t understand that it´s wrong or you just want to show that you´re stupid, which one is it?
    Is it really necessary to call other posters stupid? I guess that's all you had to share here? Off topic nonsense.