Thread: SotF or tree?

SotF or tree?

Thought SotF is way to go in mythic fights, but after browsing warcraftlogs, most top10 ranked druids use Tree.
    How come is that? with max gear mana isnt the problem for sotf which provides better throuput. (even RG is the option?)

What do you think? Talking about mythic BRF for max hps
    Which spec is better for different bosses?
    Last edited by Gailiuga; 2015-03-13 at 10:20 PM.

The thing with tree is it's an on demand healing boost for the rough phases. as opposed to sotf which gives you a boost all the time, including when you don't really need it.

I've been using Tree because that way I'll have a decent throughput CD throughout most intense phases of the fight. Take [M]Kromog for example; first set of hands I can use HotW/Tree, next set I can Tranq, next set Tree is back up, when he enrages Tranq is back up, and directly after that HotW is up to help me though the last 20% or so. If you can manage to line up your tree with heavy damage phases it's great, and also saves you a decent amount of mana considering it halves the cost of rejuv. Running with two spirit trinkets, I have all the mana I can possibly need so I am able to spam instant regrowths if needed when tree is up.

The only fight I use SotF on is [M]Beastlord because I do nothing but DoC the entire time until the very last phase, where we have AoE healing CDs lined up like nobodys business so I don't need tree for it.

Like Krosber said, SotF gives you boosted healing throughout the fight. Good for fights that don't really have any designated big AoE phases. However, on MOST bosses in BRF, you'll likely find a good place to use your tree, even if you do it just to save some mana if you're running more throughput trinkets. They're both good, just depends on your playstyle, healing designations, and encounter. If you look at a number of logs from each fight you'll always see at least a few druids using SotF over Incarnation. MAJORITY use Incarnation, but it's obviously doable with SotF as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilynn View Post
    also saves you a decent amount of mana considering it halves the cost of rejuv
    Incarnation reduces the cost of Rejuvenation by 30%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gailiuga View Post
    Talking about mythic BRF for max hps
    Nothing can beat SotF in terms of converting mana into healing over an extensive time period like an entire fight. Though my impression is that the HPS angle to healing is losing it relevance. Gear has made our healing stronger relative to HP pools, we have more spirit (especially those who got autoclave) and I'm thinking healing is transitioning towards how it was in 5.4, which makes targeted burst healing more valuable. This makes Cenarion Ward more viable over YG, Rampant Growth more interesting than earlier, and MoC into an option that shouldn't be ignored. SotF+Germination does not provide the reaction capacity other talents have.

The combination of Tree + MoC is sweet for boomboomboomboomboomboom Regrowth spamming, then add the 2-set on top of it. Of course there has to be enough damage to make use of so much healing inside a few seconds window. So ask other healers to stop casting.

Personal Preference:

Darmac: SotF
    Gruul: SotF
    Oregorger: SotF, but Tree would work here too.
    Hans/Franz: Tree
    Flamebender: SotF, but Tree would work here too.
    Kromog: SotF is what I went with, but as others mentioned Tree is excellent on this fight too.
    Thogar: Tree
    Iron Maidens: Will likely be Tree for last phase, though considering Soul of the Forest here as well.
    Blast Furnace: Will likely be SotF
    Blackhand: Will likely be Tree

A better balance between the two talents than Highmaul (all of which was Tree except Imperator, which was SotF) was IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nightfalls View Post
    Personal Preference:

Darmac: SotF
    Gruul: SotF
    Oregorger: SotF, but Tree would work here too.
    Hans/Franz: Tree
    Flamebender: SotF, but Tree would work here too.
    Kromog: SotF is what I went with, but as others mentioned Tree is excellent on this fight too.
    Thogar: Tree
    Iron Maidens: Will likely be Tree for last phase, though considering Soul of the Forest here as well.
    Blast Furnace: Will likely be SotF
    Blackhand: Will likely be Tree

A better balance between the two talents than Highmaul (all of which was Tree except Imperator, which was SotF) was IMO.
    Maidens:
    it depends how many healers you run with, if you run with 3 I would say go with ToL. We used 4 on progression.
    On our first kill I used SotF and I was HotW dpsing the push.
    I was mainly a tranq and wg machine in the last phase while wrathing the boss.

Blastfurnance:
    If you look on Warcraftlogs most druids are running with ToL and NV, I ran with SotF and HotW.
    We were two healing one side in p1 with shaman and druid, hpaladin soloing the other whith one priest on each side MCing.
    I was mainly wrath spamming in p1 untill 3rd Operator spawned, and in p2 WG was a nice to have.
    I used HoTW on first elementalist so we were able to always one shot it.
    Didn't see any reason to run ToL since I was using my WG a lot and wasnt running oom that fast.

Blackhand:
    p1: healing intensive
    p2 if done correctly is close to no dmg.
    p3: healing intensive
    Feels like ToL is the way to go here. Since you can use it in every phase.
    Last edited by Drefan; 2015-03-14 at 11:28 PM.

And what about WG build? seen only few druids using it effectively.
    Considering you have 690 gear and buffed spirit trinkets - you can buff every WG, fill tank healing with 100+ regrowths and use your tier 2 bonus super effective.
    Anyone can share experience with that? Some max hps tips

Generally, I personally dislike how Incarnation feels/works out on most fights - at least past about mid-Mythic Highmaul. The main problem that I have with it is that while on paper, it is amazing for extremely high mobility/high damage raid patterns (especially timed with NV), it just doesn't line up that well with actual fight mechanics. The biggest thing for me is - the 30 second duration is way too long to take full advantage of the talent. There are many portions of fights with 10-15 second burst healing mechanics; there are just not that many where you can get the full benefit of that additional throughput over 30 full seconds, though. I find that too often with Incarnation, you end up spending the last 10-20 seconds of it either casting Rejuvs that will 70%+ overheal. The talent would be much, much more effective if it was a 90 second CD/15 second duration (or had a glyph to give you that option) over a 180 second CD/30 second duration.

I just generally prefer the more granular control of your output throughput the course of the fight that SoTF provides over a long cooldown. Granted, this can also be dependent on your raid composition. I typically heal with 3 (and sometimes 4 absorb healers) in a 4-5 man Mythic comp. With that many absorbs in the raid, anything slow like Rejuv isn't going to be very effective over a 30 second window like Incarnation, and it's better to have stronger short duration burst for the times when damage gets through the absorb blanketing. If you have a more throughput healer heavy comp, I could see Incarnation being more effective.